Wiki Posts
Search

Inaugural SummerFast 2004 RC Race Powered by Reedy

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Inaugural SummerFast 2004 RC Race Powered by Reedy

As a long-time race fan and R/C racer, I have wanted to see a cross-promotional event with during a major league racing series and an R/C event. Well, I have been working on getting an RC Race Series going at the Milwaukee Mile in West Allis, Wisconsin. I am proud to announce that such a promotion is about to happen. The two race series will be called "SummerFast", and it will be inside the Wisconsin Pavilion just outside turn 4 at the Milwaukee Mile during the Nascar Craftsman Truck/Busch Grand National race weekend and the inaugural Indy Racing League events. If we get enough participants they will open up the concession stand in the building, but keep in mind that there will be vendors all up and down behind the grandstands right by where we'll be. We'd be inside the Wisconsin Products pavilion running on carpet (provided by The Den R/C Club) Here's the game plan:

Round 1: NASCAR Weekend (BGN and CTS)
June 24th and 25th
Round 2: Indy Racing League
July 23rd and 24th

Friday is Qualifying, Saturday Mains. This will be a 2 race series, but you don't need to compete in both races. There will be points awarded for results in each race weekend, and there will be an overall champion crowned during the Inaugural IRL weekend. We will run Oval AND Road course during these weekends, similar to Snowbirds. I don't expect oval to have a huge showing, with 2 races coming before the paved oval Nats, but I will run any class that has 6+ entries. I hope to have everything finalized and have fliers out for sign up soon.

Oval:
Stock
19 Turn
F1/Indy

Road Course:
Stock Rubber
Stock Foam
19T Rubber
19T Foam
Tamiya Mini Cooper

The 19T Classes will get a Handout Reedy 19T Quad Magnet motor for use, the same as what was used at the Reedy Race of Champions. We will be using ROAR and Tamiya Championship Series rules as a guideline for bodies, roofline, wings, and motors (although the Binary will be allowed in stock). F1: any purpose-build (i.e. no conversions) F1 direct drive chassis would be legal. Legal chassis would be:
F101-103 and any variation (f103rx for example)
Crossfire
Duratrax Delphi Indycar
Kyosho Impress or Target Indycar
Rubber or foam tires, whichever you want to run for oval.
Silver can closed endbell Johnson or Mabuchi motors.

OPEN TIRES! I'd recommend people use CS 27s. But if racers want to run Sorex, Pit, HPI, Tamiya, you name it, go for it. I just found those who are fast with spec tires are the same who are fast on open tires. Plus, a lot of tracks have gone to only using CS27s for weekly races, but people have other tires to use up. This gives them that opportunity. Paragon will not be allowed anywhere near the building, only odorless traction compound such as the Niftech Odorless or MPH Product's T-Rx.

Registration Fees: $45 first class, $25 second, $20 for a third. If someone is willing to commit to racing both events, the total cost will be $80, a $10 savings for the racers. The folks at the Mile have stepped up to offer a discounted ticket deal as well. For only $12, racers can purchase a pair of tickets to the Busch, Craftsman Truck Series, or the Indy Racing League Events.

What can people win?
There will be prizes, paid raffle and an entry raffle.
Trophies or plaques for the top 3 in each event, top 10 in points at the end of the season.

I have several regional hobby shops involved and on site with info on their shops and tracks, if they attend have each track's announcer call a race or two to help promote their track, and to have sales on site as well. So far I have commitments from:

Team Associated
Reedy Modifieds
The Milwaukee Mile
KO Propo
RCTech.Net
Hurricane Motorsports
MPH Products
Hitec RCD
RC Driver Magazine
Competition Electronics
Slick/Zero RC
Fuji Bicycles
RC Scoring Pro Software
Greenfield News and Hobby
The DEN RC Raceway in Monroe, Wi.
Road Rage Hobby and Speedway in Green Bay, Wi.
RSJ Hobbies and Speedway
And More!!!

Rick from RSJ will be on hand with a sales area for parts. Greenfield News and Hobby will also have a sales area, more dedicated to general hobby products than what RSJ Will have. We're ironing out the final details to have Celeb races at both the Nascar and IRL race weekends. Team Associated has stepped up with several RTR TC3's for the Pro's to drive. We're also going to have several of the Milwaukee Area Sportscasters present During the Nascar Weekend for a Pro-race as well. It should be a lot of fun. If you would like to attend, you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I will e-mail you a downloadable registration form.