Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mounting tires on rims...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Mounting tires on rims...

Just purchased PMT tires and FG on-road rims, just can't get them on the rims?! Is there an easy way to do this or do I have to #*@#&*...Any help will be greatly appreciated at this time....
Old 12-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default Tire mounting!!!

Originally Posted by rcjacques
Just purchased PMT tires and FG on-road rims, just can't get them on the rims?! Is there an easy way to do this or do I have to #*@#&*...Any help will be greatly appreciated at this time....
there is a tire mounting device sold by hobbytec. It's almost impossible to do without the device. Even if you manage to do it it will become too much work to do without the device. I mounted my own tires last season. Before buying the device it took forever and was painful. With the device it took 5 mins
Old 12-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Got great advice from the our Australian friends on the RC Tech Aussie forum...The place to go if you have an XRC on-road...
Old 12-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I use a large bench VISE---clamp a steel rod into it vertically -- a size that the wheel center hub hole will fit over--then-- I wet out the wheel and the tires and liners with Windex-- start with one side--slide it over the wheel and work your way around until the whole tire rim is over the wheel--then wiggle and work it down until the next tire rim needs to be worked over the wheel the same way. It's really not TOO hard once you get the technique down--but the vertical rod AND the vise are critical to providing a strong base to work on!!
FWIW---I mount all my F-1 tires this way.
Tim

BTW--- I don't know what surface you are racing on---but we've found down here on asphalt--that the "C" compound GRP tires CAN'T be beat!!! FYI
Old 12-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Do you glue the foam inserts first on the rims or do you leave them inside the tires...and work them together on the rims?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Leave the liner in the tire---you only need to glue the edges of the tire into the grooves made on the wheel for the tire rim. The liner just slides on without glue. Dry off any Windex---before you start to glue down the tires. I use thin CA--and glue about 2 inches of tire into the groove at a time--working my way around the outer rim of the wheel/tire combo. Kicker also helps here once you've got the tire edge pushed into the groove--wick in the CA--then "Kick" it once you've got it seated all the way down. Just take your time and work your way around the rim until the tire is nicely seated. They won't move again!!
T
Old 12-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Thank you sir, I've got all the amunition to attack so over the weekend....
Old 12-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My 2 cents-

Clean all the mounting areas very well- use denatured alc. Glue the liner ends together (if in strip form), mount on rim and glue edges only to the rim. Without a mounting post, lightly spray den/alc on the inside of the tire, put the tire on a table and lightly spray the foam covered rim (doesn't take much alc to make the foam slippery). Rim face down and with a blunt tool- open the tire lip and push the rim down while working all the way around the tire. It will slip right on.

With a clean rag, wipe up any excess alc and set aside. Do the others then glue with in that same order. Glue- I only recommend Loc-Tite 203 (if memory serves). It's a little hard to find, but is the best I had ever seen for gluing rubber to plastic. Industrial screw supply stores many times will carry it. Otherwise use only the best 1/10th tire glue you can find like Pro-Line..

1/5th tires have an incredible amount of stress that is applied to the sidewalls and there is nothing more frustrating than blowing a sidewall.

Note- if this is a sedan tire, inspect the sidewalls for the best fiber belting. Usually there is one side that is stronger than the other and that should be mounted on the outside of the rim.

Good luck.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Devlin! Will give it a try this week...