Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible New Baja 5B owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Possible New Baja 5B owner

Alrighty. Been thinking about it the past couple weeks, and started doing some serious looking into the past few days in regards to purchasing and owning a Baja 5B. So in regards to that, a few questions.

After reading on the HPI forums, it seems that while the Baja is a 25 lbs of metal and fun, you spend or can spend just as much time maintaining it as you do running it. Curious as to your opinions on this. Right now Im deployed to Iraq, and while getting fuel and oil for it shouldnt be a problem, it does face the same problem that my Bandit does, spare parts availability. Got plenty of tools and workspace though. hehe.

In addition to this, Im currently looking at purchasing a previously owned Baja that comes with many many hop-ups and engine upgrades already installed and it comes with a Spektrum DX3S(with telemetry). Should I continue to look into this (from the pictures Ive seen of it, it does look very well maintained), or should I look into getting the 5B SS kit, a few essential hopups, and a radio of my own?

I can see that making my own from a kit would give me the experience and knowledge of how its all put together and works, but the 5B Im looking at does seem to be a very good value, especially with all the hop-ups that it comes with...

And of course, last, doesnt anyone have anything to reccomend or say about owning a Baja?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

OMG - there's NOT enough time and space for me to try to put into words the amount of fun the Baja is. BUT, allow me to put MY use of it into perspective as it possibly is not the same as how you plan to use yours.

Last winter, 12 - 14 of us here in the Missouri/Kansas area (surrrounding Kansas City) decided that it would be fun to RACE these buggies. So, most of us purchased 5B kits, spent the winter dreaming about running them and micro managing WHAT needed to be done to them to improve reliability on the RACE TRACK.

With that said, there were lots of people moving lots of different directions - some spend MEGA bucks on modifications and hope ups, some of us (my take) spend some money on things that we 'thought' were necessary and there were a couple of guys who left them STOCK - just built the kit.

As the summer unfolded and we became more familiar with the cars, it became obvious that the buggies that were loaded with alumunum and bunches of hop ups were not a bit more reliable then the ones that were stock. In fact, my slightly modified buggy with just a few hop ups was a bit more problematic then all of the stock buggies. This certainly was NOT what I wanted to experience - gosh, I could have saved 4 - 500 buckolas and been more reliable??? NOT a hard choice.

There are a LOT of really good manufacturers out there who make great product - all of it designed to improve the durability and therefore enjoyment of the HPI Baja. BUT, a lot of this is directed at the hard core basher who is a LOT harder on this equipment then those of us who race them. If you plan to do both, by all means add durability items. If you plan to race, not so much simply because historically when you improve durability in ONE area you move the breakage point to another - resulting in a more time consuming and possibly expensive repair.

I'm sure there will be a LOT of other comments on this but you are receiving my EXPERIENCE - and certainly not an experience which encourages a lot of after market purchasing! Keep in mind the obvious thought that any modification is first designed to move money from your pocket to the manufacturer's and secondly to 'improve' your buggy - that's capitalism and certainly NOT a bad thing but something which can make you think a bit harder before spending!

Now tires???? THAT is a whole different story for another day!!!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah I know about the making one area stronger but another area weaker thing. The little bit of time Ive had my Bandit has taught me a lil bit :P That being said I dont intend to do "hard core bashing", or at least not what would qualify as that. Most of my time with it will be spent with it running laps around my motor pool, and maye jumping off/over stuff, or if I can find a place somewhere else on the FOB where I can race it around without any higher ranking people bothering me, I may do that.

Right now I dont have anyone to race with really, if I did that would be pretty awesome, but oh well. Anyhow, the major selling point of the hopped-up Baja was simply the fact that I was getting so many aftermarket parts and that on top of a good controller which i could also use with my bandit. (Mind you, Ive read that Spektrum controllers are really hit or miss with the Baja and when they miss, they miss by alot.)

Even if I bought a stock kit, I know there are a few items that really are a must. New throttle/brake linkage, cover for the pullstart, new pipe, killswitch/failsafe, better receiver/transmitter and such things.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:37 AM
nib
Tech Apprentice

i race a baja ss in open buggy the only upgrades have been fasteddy bearings,shim kit,turnbukles,darksoul axle extenders,and a turtle clutch,which i just installed for this season.i havent had to replace anything in many gallons of running including the Baja Nationals and all sorts of time spent at the thunder valley track plus the occasional bash session.that said if the used baja is cheap buy it but the ss kit does just fine
Old 03-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Baja

Yep just get the ss and a good throttle servo and you will like it. I have hopped my motor up and put tires on it but it was fine stock. If your a good driver you won't have to do much to it.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Right now, one Baja I was looking at was sold locally, and the other, I am still pondering if I should purchase it or not. As of right now, Im more than likely going to purchase the SS Kit and some hopups for it. Planning on getting a Futaba 3PM, Hitec digital throttle servo, and a list of select other aftermarket items.

Already got the failsafe on order Cant order the actual kit until Wednesday. Bummer. lol.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I wouldn't get a failsafe. Get a killswitch. It is much more effective and safer.

Other than that, you'll enjoy the Baja a lot. Get some paddle tires and hit the dunes!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry, should have clarified. PB's killswitch/failsafe. Replaces the killswitch on the engine so that I can kill the engine from my controller.

Not getting any paddle tires, not that much sand here, much less dunes. Getting Hostile R/C All Terrains.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would like to echo what Chris has said.

I had two buggies, one built up to the nines, big block, fancy parts everywhere....spent more on it then Obama is spending. The buggy was fast as lighting....but it was fragile...one wrong jump, one wrong hit, one wrong dip and something would give....I think it was just too darn fast. Sold it and told myself I would never own another.

Well another came along box stock buggy with the 23cc engine. I left it bone stock, only HPI parts go on this buggy when I bust something, I live with attack trees

This buggy just runs and runs, it is fast enough, and have bashed on this buggy much harder then I did on my modded up buggy. I have had more fun with the stock standard buggy.

After being down both roads I am going to leave it stock. If they race again around here (same KC area) I will come out and race it, but for now it is a basher in my front yard...I live on 13ac....you do need space to run the buggy.....lots of space.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hope this motivates you!! hehehe..how much is the one that u were goin to buy?u kno that brand new rtr version 1 u can get for less than $800,so it depends on what he have ,on the other hand the ss kit is a good choice too u get the fun building it and get your own favorite radio..a lot suggest futaba 3pm fasst system.and for personally i only replace the parts that i think essential. pipe,tires and maybe clutch setup.and the pbkillswitch is a must have for these 5th scales..

Old 04-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Everything is on order and should be here in 4 days or so at most! Most things will stay stock, dont plan on using too much aluminum and whatnot.

Ill try to get pics and such once its here and put together!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

No bling here...In my opinion there are only 3 places to stop for mods that are actually needed/do any good...Turtle racing,fast eddy and dark soul.Oh and i guess a hostile spur to.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Im not really goinig for bling or chroming anything out. lol. Already determined that. Most of the stuff I purchased with this first batch of stuff and the Kit, are necessary items. Fan cover, air filter cover, Dominator tuned pipe, shock covers, and Hostile tires.

My next set of parts will probably include a Yamadude throttle/brake linkage, Turtle racing clutch cover+plate, and an aftermarket spark plug cover, and probably a few other items I cant think to mention at the moment.

But right now Im only worried about receiving my Kit and putting it together!