Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
HPI Baja 5B Exhaust Options - Advice >

HPI Baja 5B Exhaust Options - Advice

HPI Baja 5B Exhaust Options - Advice

Old 03-19-2009, 01:16 AM
Tech Adept

Default HPI Baja 5B Exhaust Options - HopUp Advice

Hey All,

Long time no post . Well, I am moving on from my Nitro toys to the "big boys" league. I have scored a brand new Baja 5B RTR "Rev 2" for a good price from my bro inlaw (it should be here late next week).

This is what he brought, but changed his mind after waiting too long for it to come in stock

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=350176787813
New in box, HPI Baja 5B RTR v2.0 23cc 1:5 scale

New features that differ from the original RTR Baja 5B include;

**Three New Body Colors, Subdued Gray, Hot Red and Cool Blue**

**Revised 23cc Engine with 10% More Power**
**Larger Capacity Muffler**
**High Performance 8000 RPM Clutch**
**Gunmetal Anodizing on all Aluminum Parts**
**VVC/HD Shock Absorbers**
**Torx T27 Engine Screws**
Now, I would have loved to get the SS but it wasnt an option and I couldnt resist the 5B. Anyways, I know some things will need to be done with it, so where do i start?

Its only for bashing at the local development sites / ovals etc and when i get a chance, the dunes! (when some paddles are on the budget).

- I thought Exhaust 1st as stock sounds crap from the googling I have been doing and I am sure that a few extra HP will come of it. I am after a quiet-ish (I dont to wake a 4 block radias) but sweet sounding.
- Radio / Servo's??? The standard Gear will get my by for a bit, but whats a good combo to look at? I have a JRXS3 Radio now that i use for my Truggy and Buggy, should I get another receiver for that? I have been happy with it so far!
- What else should i be putting on the check list?

Where ever i buy the gear from, it needs to have Paypal. I am in Australia but don't mind buying from the USA either.

Thanks Guys.

Grim.

Last edited by CmdGrimlock; 03-20-2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Title change and Updates
Old 03-19-2009, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Good morning Grim!!!!!!!!

Just like any other form of r/c, you'll find probably as many opinions as you will find noses - I've found Baja owners to be very strong in their beliefs!

I can generalize to a great extent by saying that the 'performance' exhaust systems that I've heard are ALL noisier then the standard 5B exhaust. The standard SS exhaust gives good performance but it's pretty noisy - not sure if there are any 'deals' out there in it or not but mine has proven to be durable (exce;t for thos times when I've been 'bumped' by other buggies) and it's quieter then a lot that I've heard.

Since I only race mine, it's hard for me to come up with upgrades for bashing - the 5BSS is durable for racing and other then wheel failures it's been a joy to own and race!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Chris,

I know there is going to be a bunch of opinions and thats what I am hoping to get. Personal choice's with experience. I cant wait to get the Baja, Its going to be awesome! I am sure some of the guys at RCHobbyZone will have some ideas for me when i see them next - if they get their heads out of the Aus Racing section of the forums they might even see this post .
Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think that pretty much any aftermarket exhaust execpt the X-can is going to be louder then stock.

As far as what to check, the normal stuff, but unless your in-law checked it I would pull the thing down and check the diff... everyone I have seen shipped from HPI was dry.

I have only bashed mine, but think I might try a race this summer, I am in the same area as Chris is. My car is still box stock execpt for the 8000 spring. I love to run it and run it very hard in my yard WOT is the norm for the thing....I live on 13ac, so space is not a problem.

As far as radios go I use the same 2.4 Futaba that I use for all my stuff, it has given me no problems.

A good place to order stuff from that takes paypal is DDM, they are tops, take paypal....I don't know if they ship to Oz or not tho.

Check out the http://www.hpibajaforum.com great group of guys over there.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

the XCan is WAY louder than stock.

an exhaust can be the #1 performance upgrade you can give your rig.
what pipe you buy will depend on a few things. what you want performance wise (rpm, torque smooth spool up, controlable, or nutty wildass power ect)
and noise level you can deal with (most are similar to the next, but some are loud and same are quiet).

if you want a Quiter pipe than most but a bit louder than that stock can with good performance, you can go with the DDM Side Dom or the Mielky sidemount pipe. the RD Logics is also quiet, but wont have as much power as the other two.

the HPI Pipe is weak, and typically gets damaged on simple rollovers, plus it ll burn thru the header..... plus its LOUD, about as loud as the rear dom, or TGN Race pipe.

what do you want for power out of it?

If you do ALOT Of jumping or even just marginal jumping, plan on buying and installing Phatdad RC shock Shafts on it.

dont want to get in trouble, but for the best and most up to date baja info, the hpibajaforum has it ALL, info, baja members, manufacutrer, aftermarket guys, if its baja related its on HBF.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have an X-can on mine...with the long stingers that extend almost to the end of the buggy and did not think that it is much louder then the stock exhaust that came on the buggy....would the long pipes make that much of a difference.

I chose that one because it looked the most realistic.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Suspended

yes, the longer stingers will cut the DB level down pretty good. most have run with only the short els, and Man, dont get your ears to close. same with the rear dom, jpv3 pipes. get to close at the correct angle and they ll rattle your brain.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the comments guys. Thats BRILLAINT!

A smooth power increase is prefered at this stage, but as I have never driven a Baja, i have no idea how they are in stock . From googling vids they all seem a bit boggy down low or restricted uptop so who knows what mine will be like

The one I am getting was brought brand new, but it was on back order for a while, its finally come in and the buyer (my bro inlaw) brought something else so he doesnt want it, its getting sent to me rather then him straight from the store... I snaped it up a fair bit cheaper then he paid . This is the exact one he got.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=350176787813
New in box, HPI Baja 5B RTR v2.0 23cc 1:5 scale

New features that differ from the original RTR Baja 5B include;

**Three New Body Colors, Subdued Gray, Hot Red and Cool Blue**

**Revised 23cc Engine with 10% More Power**
**Larger Capacity Muffler**
**High Performance 8000 RPM Clutch**
**Gunmetal Anodizing on all Aluminum Parts**
**VVC/HD Shock Absorbers**
**Torx T27 Engine Screws**
Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

You have a nice ride!! WELCOME TO BAJA NATION!!!

A quiet pipe with good performance??? Timmahh hit it on the head. The Jet Pro V.3 is pretty quiet.

In comparison to what I run.... Rear Dominator!! (112 dbs!!) crazy performance but loud as a jumbo jet engine!! Love it!!

A must for setting up your Baja is a Killswitch. It connects to your third channel (pico microswitch) to your motors magnito. You can kill your motor if you have a run away. Very well worth the money.

Radio. Go with a DSM style radio. The Futaba 4pk is the pick of many Baja drivers. I run the Airtronics M11 with a Spektrum pro Tx.

You are gonna love this beast!! Many baja owners have multiples. Most trick their rigs out crazy!!! Welcome to the sickness! There is no cure
Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Tech Adept

OK. So after some googling and hiding my web browser from the Mrs, this is whats on my list so far

From RC Buggies - in Aus - Order Placed
HPI Mounted Sand Buster Paddles
HPI Mounted Sand Buster Fronts
PSR 4600Mah Receiver Hump Pack

From Daniels Pit Stop - In Aus - Order Placed
Integy Alloy Front Shock Tower Support
Integy Alloy Rear Shock Tower Support
Integy Alloy front chassis brace
Outerwears Pull Start Pre-Filter-black
Outerwears Airfilter Pre-Filter - black
Mounted Tarmac Rear Rib Tire
Mounted Tarmac Front Rib Tire
DDM Side-Mount "Dominator" Chrome Pipe
Pre-wired Monster Pico Kill Switch

On the "Need" List still - Trying to find store in Aus that does Paypal and has these instock
* Radio - Looking at "Futaba 4PK"
* Steering Servo Looking at "Hitec HS-7955TG"

Last edited by CmdGrimlock; 03-20-2009 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Suspended

Man i just HATE seeing folks spend their hard erned on the I stuff. Its just a shame. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

personally i run stock shock towers. it allows some flex when im rolling my 28 lb beast around. but good choices overall.

watch the stock clutch bell and carrier. the cbs can be out of true and the weld at the stem can break free. the carreir may get warm and allow some flex, if your toasting spur gears quick, and not landing the rear on power, it may be your stock plastic carrier and or bell causing the problem.

check your diff right out of the box. they should be 1/2 full (to the cross pins) but most of them only have a slathering of fluid.

if you want the best for steering servo, i say the Mulitplex Rhino and buy the aluminum arm for it also. you ll need the HPI (included in kit) Servo adapter plate to get the Rhino to mount into the radio box. but its the best servo imho.

for radio the Futaba 3PM is a great one, but get a digi t/b servo so you can run it in HRS mode (requires only digi servos be used).
Old 03-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for that reply. I do have a brand new JR DS8411 Servo that i was going to use in my Mugen MBX5T, this would do a good job on steering IMO and from what i can tell, alot of guys are still actually using the stock servo's for steering without any problems.

The funds are drying up now so I might have to stick with my JR XS3 Radio for now (unless my paypal issues get cleared up). the JR unit has the option for the Digital servos also, so it might not be a bad option for now. Just get to range test to see if its upto it I havent had a problem with it so far, so fingers crossed.

Sounds like the diff is try from what others have said, the kit comes with 10,000 weight diff Oil, like the know its empty or expect you to pull it apart, so thats the 2nd thing i will do... 1st is replace Radio gear .

Glad i managed to get the 'Pico Kill Switch" also. My radio has the 3rd channel ready for it, so that will be good.

I figured that getting the Integy allow Hop Up parts was a good idea, especially the Shock tower braces. I am sure its going to jump off a few mounds of dirt or down a step or two... i wont be able to help myself.

I guess changing the shock oil to a heavier weight might be on the cards also soon, see how soggy the stock settings are.

I think its all coming together. Now i just need it all to arrive and I will be good to go!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Tech Adept

Its confirmed that DPS ROCKS! I have just logged into check to see if there are any emails or dramas (dont know why, i wasnt really expecting much updates on the weekend - its almost 5pm on Sat for me at the moment - and I see that DPS has gotten my 2 payments for the 2 orders, boxed them and it says dipsatched / finalised. I presume they are going out on Monday.

How BRILLIANT! The toys will arrive before the Baja - HAHA.

The order at RCBuggies is still showing as "PENDING". Thats just got the Sand Paddles and the 4600mAH receiver batter so thats no big deal at all!

Looks like things are coming along together just nicely.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Tech Regular

While RCBuggies and DPS are ok webstores have you ever checked out Powerslide Racing www.powerslideracing.com.au they are local in Adelaide as well.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MY_LST
While RCBuggies and DPS are ok webstores have you ever checked out Powerslide Racing www.powerslideracing.com.au they are local in Adelaide as well.
Nope. Never even heard of them. I have used DPS and RCBuggies becuase of their sponsorship / ads on ausrc and i know a few others that have used them.

I will check PSR out, good to see they do paypal also! That way i can hide the spending from the Mrs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.