Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Lake Whippoorwill International Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Addict

I remember picking up my first RC Car Mag I guess back in the early 80's and reading about Bud Bartos and the cars they called "Whizzers" (Open wheel Formula 1 style cars). Wanted to buy one so bad but no one even heard of them where I lived and they was no internet in those days so I settled for a Tamiya Elf instead.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lidebt2
I have been trying to remember the name of that car I owned a few years ago, it was the Lynx II. If I remember right they had there offices in Orlando.
Yeah just off of Sand Lake Rd, I remember when they left there, that was so long ago..

Speaking of Sand Lake Rd, if memory serves me right and sometimes it crash and burns, LOL! There was a warehouse that had a RC drag strip and a dirt oval with a off-road course in the center of it, just outside of the building. We use to go out there on Saturday nights after being at the Whip. I can remember having really long days at "The Whip and not getting home until after dark..
Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

I remember when Cobra had car that dominated a couple of classes, in one of "The Whips" big races. I can remember one of the mags doing a photo shoot with the driver with is 7ft tall trophies and his cars.. I was in the drivers stand when they did the photo shoot..
Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (97%+)

My first ever big race was at the whip, in like 1992 or something maybe. I forget the exact race, but it was a big ROAR race. My dad and I had no idea what to really expect and were really overwhelmed. Didnt even have a place to pit. Bob Hosch was really nice guy though, one of the pros didnt show up so there was a pit spot open in the middle there, he gave it to me and little unprepared me was there pitting right next to Joel Johnson.....felt so out of place, but luckily I was running same chassis as Joel and he gave me alot of help, free parts, set-up, etc. Ended up 4th in c main i think, was really pleased with it. If the whip was rebuilt, I would make a return to oval racing just for that opening day!!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Bob was like that, sure I heard a few bad things from a few that didn't like him, but no way did it ever change my mind about him.. I spent just over 6 years there racing and didn't think there was anything else better to race at.. I have been sitting trying to recall allot things that happen to me there while I race at "The Whip" I remember once I wasn't racing very long and I had a wide Lynx chassis and it was T-Bone and broke in half, first time that ever happen to me but never has since.. Well I was short on cash and was packing up to go home, Bob took me in the shop and said here put this on, he had a new chassis plate never used. He said "Don't worry about it, just get it on and finish the day out.. Those were the kind of things that I remember the most about Bob.. Politics is one thing but a good heart is another..
Old 07-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Thunder3
Thanks, I couldn't remember his name. I do have about a 8 lb piece of Track I took of the green area in turn 1. I even have a nearly full day of racing back in 89 or 91, I transfer from a 8 mm tape to DVD, quality is pretty good..
You ought to post that to Youtube. I would LOVE to see it!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:09 AM
AMZ
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by n10cities
You ought to post that to Youtube. I would LOVE to see it!
Yes. Please please do.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 AM
AMZ
Tech Regular

I found a commercial on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRLkKghYxe0

I hope it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRLkKghYxe0
Old 07-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Hey Thanks so much, I have been looking for something on YouTube for sometime now for "The Whip" Thanks again!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AMZ
That brings back a lot of memories. Never had the chance to race at the whip but always wanted to. That place was in full swing when I first got bit by the rc bug. Thanks for the vids.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

big john bressler was the team cobra guy who dominated the 1400 scr class for a year or so..

dan toll did the bodies

chuck walker did tech and took your practice money

bobs son scotty was the best announcer to this day!

bob was way way way ahead of his time and looked at rc oval racing like humpty wheeler does nascar today!

and bob did all this without the internet!
Old 07-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Posted in December 2008:
Believe it or not the actual track is still there. The buildings, pit tables , railings and everything else have long been demolished, but the actual concrete oval and infield are still there. If you didn't know what you were looking for, you'd never even notice it; everything is way overgrown.
The track itself has been gone since at least 2000 or 2001. I've seen pictures dated 2001 of nothing but a dirt hole where the track was. The track was located on Narcoosee Road, just southeast of the Orlando International Airport, not too far from SR 528 (the BeachLine, or Beeline as it was known back in the day). The property, which was a campground when the track was there, is now apartments, condos, and townhouses. There are absolutely no signs of the magnificent facility that Bob Hosch so lovingly promoted and ran.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

I agree, Last time I was there was in 1999 or 2000 only thing left was the asphalt walk ways and the actural track itself, all the wood was gone. There I took a small sledge hammer and broke off some small track material from Turn one and the Tech area.. I did some video and left.. I do have some video that I transfer from 8MM to DVD of a day of racing in 1991. The quality is really good, but for some reason can't get it transfer to my PC.. I would like to break it down in segments and post on youtube. Does anyone out there know how to do this, I woiuld send you a copy of the DVD , just shoot me a PM on your contact info..

Thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

28.386871,-81.24202

put those coordinates into Google maps, and you can still see the outline of the track in the grass. Last picture I remember seeing had the banking covered with grass...looked like small hills. You can see this (faintly) from the satellite view.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi McSmooth- I can remember your dad testing out some new batteries over there (metal Hydride). They didn't cut the mustard from what I remembered. That was at least a year or two before they came out.Remember you had to have 16 decals on the fenders in order to race. Otherwise it was go into the hobbyshop and buy some Autographics fender decal pack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.