Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
HPI Baja SS Hooters Build >

HPI Baja SS Hooters Build

HPI Baja SS Hooters Build

Old 06-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default HPI Baja SS Hooters Build

for those of you die hard RCTech peeps, i thought i would drop in and share what happens when you take an idea, a HPI Baja SS, and throw around 3500.00 at it.

list of goodies. this may take a few.

1. ACE 1015 t/b servo
2. ADA Billet Hub Carriers
3. ATX Front window, clear
4. B&T Deluxe Front Cable Brake Kit
5. BadHorsie Shock covers
6. CBE lights (4 to 6 fronts in HPI light Pods (one set is the new dual ring 2 stage lights not yet avialable)
7. CBE Kill Switch (New unit not yet available)
8. CBE brake lights, Red
9. CBE rear lights, White
10. CBE Intellilight controller (not yet available)
11. copper exhaust gasket
12. copper head gasket
13. DDM billet flywheel cover Orange
14. DDM/Outerwares for Air filter and PS - Orange
15. DDM Orange Pull Start Handle
16. DDM metal ps pawl
17. DDM 4500 MAH NiMH Battery Pack
18. ESP Zen 26 full reed modified and race ported topend
19. fuel line few feet of Tygon clear Orange and solid White
20. FLM extended arm kit, anoed Orange and PCd White
21. GH Billit tranny case
22. HBZ roll cage and rear lower cage pieces
23. HPI Baja SS kit
24. HPI White Rims/Beadlocks,Oragne beadlocks and white rims.
25. HPI Paddle tires on rear without foams installed and razors on fronts with foam
26. HPI rims and Hostile Hobby Slicks (just released) for Onroad tires
27. JPv4 side bleed pipe
28. Lauterbacher 4 shoe clutch
29. metal gears in the steering servo.
30 Modified RC light mounts, 2 or 3 will be used
31. OFF/TGN CF motorplate
32. Off/TGN CF rear top plate
33. OFF/TGN CF Brake Plate
34. Off/TGN side plates
35. PhatDad RC SS shock shafts on all 4 shocks
36. Proline Dezert Rat body with Custom Hooters body
37. PythonHobby side Windows, orange
38. RAMTechs new Enclosed Carrier
39. RAMTech 20% springs front and rear
40. Rhino Racing CF Roof Plate
41. Rhino Racing Billet choke lever Orange
42. Team Fast Eddy Pro Bearing kit
43. Team Fast Eddy Rear Upper Turnbuckles
44. Team Fast Eddy Ceramic Crank Bearings
45. TGN RedNeck Dual Stage Air filter
46. TGN Rear Brake UpGrade
47. Trevor Simpson Reed Case Motor
48. Turtle Racing HD Top Front Plate
49. Turtle Racing Diff Saver Cups
50. Turtle Racing HD Drive Cups
51. Turtle Racing Billet Clutch Housing
52. Turtle Racing Steel Clutch Bell Uncoated.
53. Turtle Racing Front and Rear HD shock supports.
54. Zenoah 28mm crank
55. walbro 668 carb
56. Zenoah Coil

I know there is more, and there is a few more parts i ll be adding at some point like the sway bars ect once i get the TS/ESP modified motor and get it installed.

i ll need to get a ModifiedRC rear bumper setup and some Fat Boy RC billet body pegs and front post and wing mount posts.
custom spare tire mount will also be added.

one with the pics and build log

Got the new Victim, errr, killer SS for the Face Lift build. heres a few pics of the Goodies

what a great platform to start this build with!!!!

heres more of the goods.

HBZ cage is looking great. havent fit it yet, but oh so soon.

other parts, spares and such

and the Mielke. cant even tell it was installed. if the thin xport wasnt there, youd never know it was ever mounted.

after i put some food in my face, im going to start pulling it down a bit, and installing the new goods. got a few parts anodized (spur shaft spacer was still purple, got a few other things to redo the color on). want to say thanx to Wingnut for the hinge pin braces.

im hoping by tonight to have the majority of the rear end done and close to being finished, and do the front end tomorrow.

This things gonna be sweet when its done!.

im still debating on what im going to do about the white. only choices are PC or no color, just raw aluminum. have to check into PC prices.

any ways, enjoy why i eat, and ill post back later with the progress.

bit of tonights work

Rear End in the setup i got it in

a lil sanding to fit the flanged bearings in the new CF plate and brake plate

sanded and flanged bearings installed. Note: i super glued thes into the CF.

These next two pics are pics of the "Lobed" brake cam. you ll notice i lobed the rear cam. i plan on having the brake hook up from the brake pad side instead of the center side. it ll make sence later.

Preped rear CF top plate installed

TNG Brake Upgrade installed, CF Brake Plate and "Lobed Cam installed. also note the Spring Mod i added between the Pads

Top Plate ready to go

pulled all rear a arms and pieces

and the next 2 pics shows the CF Motor plate installed, rear bulk heads and tranny installed and everything tightened up.

next i ll be adding the FLM rear end, the hubs wont be done until i make one or two last orders in the next few days.
more soon.

bit more of the process

Pems installed into the CF Motor plate

Couldnt resist temporarily installing the Fast Eddy Rear Turn Buckles into the FLM upper rear arms and slipping them into place with the drive shafts and hubs.

rear view

Rest of the front end stripped down. Will be de anoing the chassis, and getting it ready to send off with the lower FLM a arms and turnbuckles to get some whilte powder coat early next week. the upper a arms will be anodized orange with the shock tower.

couple pics to add to the goodness.

im changing my plans a bit. the parts that were going to be PCd White, will now be Anodized, and the parts i was going to anodize will now be PCd white.

more to come later.

thanx Mo, im really liking it myself. its actully why i decided to change whats getting anod and whats getting PCd Bright White.

its a bit lighter in color but brighter in tone to the SS orange but it matches much better than some of the orange ano ive seen.

heres a few more pics of the lower arms done and the spacers.

the rest of the FLM stuff goes off tomorrow am for PC. cant wait to get it back. gotta make my order tomorrow to get some of the goodies for the build here Saturday.

oh some TEASER Pics. use your imagination!!!!
DAYYYYYYYYYYYUMM is what Im thinking.
BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG thanx to Dave at Turtle Racing!!! for doing these parts White for me. they look absolutly great. Excellent work again Dave. cant say thanx enough for PCing these parts for me!!!

added the rear shock tower and stock shocks for bit of idea of the setup.

with any luck i ll be putting this best mostly together in the next few days.

i brightened the pics up just a bit so the color was a lil more true. the pics were a bit dark which is funny considering the sun was out and just makeing them pop.

Originally Posted by Modified RC
Nice color combo Tim....10 more days!
I was thinking that myself. 10 days. lol.
So I couldnt help but put a few hrs in tonight on the build.

i still need to get the sway bar ends off the stock front a arms and make a rear mounting pieces for the bottom mounts on the front TR shock brack before i can call the front end finished. next up is the rear end.

Thanx for the Kind Words, im liking it more and more as it goes together.

heres Tonights Progress.

installed the tranny into the GH alloy case. (see product reviews shortly for a small review of the case).

i had to File the square tranny hole in the motor plate to get it to set flush. im not sure if the GH case bottom square was a Tad to large, or the CF was a tad to small at the square. im thinking it was the GH squre being just a tad large due to the anodizing layer, as i did have the stock case installed for a while and it fit fine. So if your using the GH case, you may elect to take a file or sanding block and buff down the sides of the square block on the bottom of the GH Tranny case to remove the ano layer if it doesnt seem to want to fit into your motor plate. the top nub for the brake plate was very snug, but did go on without any messing about, just had to tap the CF plate down a bit so it was flush. fwiw, i filed off a tad bit of the CF opening to allow the case to fit in Tight.

the rest of the assembly of the rear and front end is so far un-eventfull. every thing seems to be going together pretty well. I am using the stock hinge pins on this build (trying to keep the weight down) and used one setscrew in each a arm to hold the hinge pins centered and have it move with the a arm, not in it.

GH cases assembled and ready to be installed (the orange is more of a copper color). considering its mostly hidden by the motor plate, rear plate, spur plate, rear a arms and drive shafts ect..... i figured it would be shaded enough you really wouldnt see the bit of a color differance).

Also installed the ADA rear hub carriers. like the other set, these went on without a hitch. nice fit and finish, and the color is very close to the stock SS parts.
on with the Pics

heres where i expect to install the rear Sway Bar. If your using the FLM ext arm setup, you may need to drill a hole for your rear sway bar installation. the fronts have it but the rear doesnt. not sure if they were just missed on this run, or if this is the way the kit will remain. i would think they ll end up putting the hole in for them.

more later.

quick shot of the cage set in place.

a pic of the rest of the pile of goodness.

just waiting a couple other things before its all put together.

did a few more things today after mostly finishing up a different project. i couldnt help but fit the TR Steel Clutch Bell to the new fully enclosed RAMTech Carrier and new TR Billet Clutch Housing.

i finished up the spur rear brake areas after i re did the front setup of the FLM. still have a couple things to do to the front end, and then attatch the sway bars.

a pic of how the front top FLM arms are spaced out. doing it like this helps align the top and bottom from arms correctly for the Hub. If your seeing a few tightness issues. take note of this arrangement.

the 2nd part to getting the front end setup and functioning well is to use the new Modded Spacers FLM has made available to those of us that already owns the kit, and those that will be purchasing in the future, these will be included.
heres a pic of how the spacers are setup at the hub.

and a couple pics of the driveline. note the Lauterbacher isnt installed atm. this is just dry fit for now to see that everything lines up well and rolls smoothly as it should from bell to tire. Im happy to report everything is great. I did shim the TR bell behind the carrier with a couple of Fast Eddys shims to take up what small bit of play was there.
also added the new Tygon fuel lines. Clear orange for Pickup, Solid white for overflow.

well its not QUITE totally Done. but i did some work on it fri and sat at the silver lake bash, and got it up and running for a tank plus of fuel. all i can say is so far, im very pleased with the build. so far so good. i ll get more updated pics. i forgot my SD card for my cam, so i didnt get any continueing build pics. but there wasnt much left.

heres the semi final Product.
more to come. there were a crapload of pics taken at the bash.

Thanx to JMB101 for this pic at the silver lake dunes. i forgot my cameral sd card and my sponsor stickers.

and here are a few pics form tonights fiddling. Almost done.
thanx for the good words peeps, its Much appreciated.

heres a few more. its getting Closer

i ll be doing more and will update the thread once i get some of it done.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Seems like not alotta people on RCTech is interested in the Baja.
I like the orange and the white Timm!!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Suspended

ya it seems the forum here is a bit in the dark ages still.

thats ok, like Christianity, the Bajastafarian Madness will get to them. Unlike Christianity, the Bajastafarian Madness wont set us back 1000 yrs as a race. lol

thanx, i got alot of Why White? are you crazy? well yes i am crazy, but there is a method to my madness. lol
Old 06-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Doood!!

That things is Crazy. I just got my SS but I'm waiting on a few parts that were missing. And seeing this just makes me see that the days of having money are all over. Man that thing is nutz.

Very nice job. :Huge thumbs up"
Old 06-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Suspended

ya these things are a blast. and can be a money pit. but you dont have to throw good money after bad at them. for the most part they are pretty durable. but like any rc, do have some out of the box things to get straight.
it s more like throwing good money after good money. lol

this is my 2nd baja, so i figured i would go at it strong from the start.

still need to get a few things (like my TS/ESP motor and get it installed) and have to get the lights and kill switch wired up. but other than onroad rims/tires, it should be pretty close to being done once the motor is in and the lights n kill switch is in.