Wiki Posts
Search

Zenoah 23cc engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Zenoah 23cc engine problem

The car was running fine Saturday all day and Sunday the engine wouldn't fire up. With the help of local guys, we tested the spark plug and it was sparking fine. They think that my engine is leaking compression. The only thing I did yesterday was to add 2 oz of Synthetic oil to 1/2 a gallon of 95 ctane gas. I remmember that the previos owner of this car said that he used regular oil. Any ideas before I buy new piston and sleeve or new engine?? Tomorrow I will also get a compression gauge to test the compression. What psi's should I be looking for??
Old 10-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default engine

i have a like new 26cc zenoah i bought for my 1/5 car 190.00shipped
Old 10-09-2007, 04:54 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

you may have lost the base gasket, look at the area around the base of the cylinder if it is wet you have likly lost this seal. it is cheap and easy to replace. Make sure you take hte motor apart before ordering parts.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

I took the engine apart last night. There were no signs of damaged or broken gaskets or piston ring.
I am ordering a new G230RC today and I will keep this engine and rebuild it. Who knows what kind of use this engine has had? I rather spend a little more and buy a new engine and start from scratch!
Thanks to all for their help!
LRR
Old 10-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I use BOSCH USR 7 AC plug. So far, no starting problems.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Luis, its likely you have an air leak somewhere.
Cylinder Gasket or Intake is the 2 most likely areas.

a standard psi gauge may not give you the True Compression reading.

if its a 23cc zen you should be seeing around 13:1 compression, but corrected it is around 9:1. and a regular compression gauge will give you an untrue reading. there is a compression gauge specifically made for these smaller two stroke motors.

2 oz of oil to 1/2 gal should be like 40:1 which should be good for ratio.

it always good to toss in a NEW unused spark plug to check it out. a plug can be fouled but still spark.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

thanks for the info, I think I just got a little bit frustrated with that engine and I decided to buy a new engine (23cc G230RC1 Zenoah) and rebuild the old one. What I have noticed with the new engine (I have run about 2 full tanks of gan on it, with 927CastorSythetic oil) is that after running for about an hour, the engine starts to choke nad die, and when I try to pull start, it won't start, until I remove the spark plug and while using a small file, I scrape some of the black carbon deposits in between the gap (where the spark takes place) and as soon as I put the spark plug back in the engine, the engine starts right away. Is this normal??? Should I be expecting to remove the black deposits on the spark plug constantly???
Thanks
LRR