Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car >

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car

Like Tree6Likes

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car

Old 05-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Ive been working on this project for a while now.Its a GTP with a Neu 1515.5/y 4400kv power MMM 4s 8000.The carbonfiber chassis is wider than stock.Its real fast
Attached Thumbnails Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-dsc05139.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-dsc05138.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-dsc05144.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-dsc05143.jpg  
Old 05-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

It looks good! What does it weigh with those carbon fiber pieces? Don
Old 05-04-2009, 06:43 PM
wwoodruff

Originally Posted by Solara
I just want to clarify what I meant above...I am no BUGGY conversion hater, any brushless lipo conversion are great. At where I live, these buggy/on road conversion are HUGH cause they are the easiest thing you can buy, fast enough and these car are almost impossible to break....however, drag racing is ALL these buggy base on road car can do...if you put these buggy base on road car with 3000 kv 6S lipo...all they can do is go straight then head to the wall....

They will never be TURN or RACE on the track compare to these 1/8th On Road conversion or nitro 1/8th on road with .21 engine...

We all have problem converting is because we are all talking about converting existing 1/8th LOLA type on road car with absolute no space to mount 4S or even 6S lipo...plus BELT design does take up a lot of space. Thats all...
I wouldn't say the don't handle, the guys racing Inferno GT's might have something to say about it. Setup right they are faster than the 10th sedans overall and much easier to drive. They are not in the same league as a belt drive car but the BMT 081 with a 2 speed and foam tires might give one a run down the back straight.

http://www.redrc.net/2008/12/bmt-081...-game-chassis/

Old 05-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YoDog
The M3e is looking nice Rick!

Rich, you could have emailed me a couple pics to show me what you were up to. It looks like I gotta get the E'volva finished sooner so I can kick yer'butt.

Was there a race on Sunday or did it rain?

Rick
Hi Rick,
Ya, rain Sunday. I was up in Sacto running offroad with Scott (indoors). Nice track. Hey, we ran at Vegas two weeks ago - you gotta join us on the next race. The guys at the Vegas track have really changed the attitude at the place - fun stuff. Scott and Jim kicked butt.

I should have sent you the photos and called - sorry.

Finally found a battery for the "Detroit eM3". It's now getting debugged. Rick Davis will build a second test mule for us to run around the country. How did your prototyping turn out?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

So is that 4200mah 4S2P single pack or 2x 7.4V 4200 lipo (these can be different in size and any INCH or MM does matter)? And no middle belt block relocation (all belts length are the same as nitro version) except a custom upper deck with steering servo location relocated to clear the batteries?
Single pack, 14.8. We are working on getting a hard case 14.8 that is taller and 5000+ mah. Belts/pulleys - same position as box stock - HOWEVER the belts will be kevlar not rubber. No way the rubber sp's will stay together (Jim Adkins). If you look, at the photo's, the rec is moved and the steering servo is nudged a bit.

Goal is to stay as OEM as possible.

We have been running the eMP3 to learn about Brushless/LiPo. Really great technologies - opens so many possibilities - good cost per lap as well.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Tech Regular

Hi guys I came across a 1/8 roller rally car made by thunder tiger EB4-S2 older version. Since I don't want to run nitro anymore I installed a mamba max with 7700kv motor and a 2 cell 5000 mah lipo. It was alot of drilling and grinding to fit the SC8 e conversion motor mount. But all the hard work pays off and right now I'm installing back the shaft brake for the front and putting only 20% of motor brake for the rear tires. I'm thinking about changing the motor to a 5700kv and gear it up 2 to 3 bigger.
Attached Thumbnails Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-rc_038.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-rc_040.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-rc_035.jpg  
Old 05-05-2009, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rich Browne
Here is the Empire eM3. Very promising. Wiring and layout still to be refined - don't worry, it will be RC art when done. Based upon our success with our eMP9 (Kyosho's 1/8th scale off-road).

Empire is
Mastery: Rick Davis
Driver: Scott Kimbrow, Current ROAR National 1/8th Champion
(West Coast) Wrench/Driver: Jim Adkins
Mouth piece/free opinions/occasional pitboy: Rich Browne

Kyosho M3 chassis
Castle Creation MMM Speed control and 2650 KV motor
Spectrum Radio

Goal: run 10 minutes per battery, 4 cell, 14.8 Lipo. Speed equal to fuel
That looks amazingly like the Fantom I was going to build. But once I figured ROAR would give me hell about the soft shell taco battery I dropped it like a hot potato. Not sure I'm a fan of the sensorless setup either. Somehow I doubt 10 min. at speed with a 4200. That is a sweet ride tho. Anyone got any ideas what that monsters gonna cost ?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
That looks amazingly like the Fantom I was going to build. But once I figured ROAR would give me hell about the soft shell taco battery I dropped it like a hot potato. Not sure I'm a fan of the sensorless setup either. Somehow I doubt 10 min. at speed with a 4200. That is a sweet ride tho. Anyone got any ideas what that monsters gonna cost ?
We are still executing on the concept.

Once we have a solid platform that matches our stated goals - we'll consider cost.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hi Rick,
Ya, rain Sunday. I was up in Sacto running offroad with Scott (indoors). Nice track. Hey, we ran at Vegas two weeks ago - you gotta join us on the next race. The guys at the Vegas track have really changed the attitude at the place - fun stuff. Scott and Jim kicked butt.

I should have sent you the photos and called - sorry.

Finally found a battery for the "Detroit eM3". It's now getting debugged. Rick Davis will build a second test mule for us to run around the country. How did your prototyping turn out?
The prototype is coming along.
The chassis is drilled and needs to get onto the CNC to finish it up and the carbon parts are getting water jet cut this week.
I've got the speedo, motor, LP servo, battery tray and some other misc. parts.
still gotta get a battery. I bought a zippy from a guy here on rctech but it was the wrong model so I sold it. SMC is coming out with one that will be perfect but it appears to be delayed.

I hope to have it done by the end of the month.

I'll give you a call soon.

P.S. it's cool that this thread got started, huh? I think it went dormant for a while but it's getting hot again. Let's keep it going! I'm seeing a lot of great cars and ideas!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwoodruff
I wouldn't say the don't handle, the guys racing Inferno GT's might have something to say about it. Setup right they are faster than the 10th sedans overall and much easier to drive. They are not in the same league as a belt drive car but the BMT 081 with a 2 speed and foam tires might give one a run down the back straight.

http://www.redrc.net/2008/12/bmt-081...-game-chassis/
Mid West Series ran IGT, 1/10th and 1/8th together...IGT are using STOCK pull start engine with no mod...lap are usually IGT 13 laps, 1/10th 200mm 15 laps and 1/8th 18 laps...and each one of those are ran by skilled sponcered drivers, and that was according from the just finished race @ Toledo, national class tracks...(not parking lot).

Even putting up some high end Nova Rossi on road or off road engine...I don't see any IGT can make up 5 laps and catch up any 1/8th...and yes, may be 1/10th 200mm TC, but I still think TC will have the edge due to the size. Not to mention...1/8th use foam, IGT use rubber, some not so fast, high down force engine...it just won't drives like 1/8th LOLA type on road...that is a fact.

If you are talking about drag racing...I have nothing to say, anything can be fast...

Again...I don't dislike any of those IGT chassis...just want to express mounting a BL and LIPO on a DM1 Spec does not equal to 1 of these BL/LIPO Serpent, Mugen or Kyosho...far from it.

I don't know other ppl, but for me, IGT should stick with nitro cause there are a big class about this class running in stock form...and of course, there are plenty of conversion out there for ppl to convert to LIPO/BL Buggy and race OFF ROAD...running it on ON ROAD is simply mounting street tires, and some setup adjustment, then go...easy. 1/10th 200mm...no reason to convert, we have plenty of EP 190mm already.........that only leave the 1/8th ON ROAD.......no conversion kit, no nothing...expensive to TEST but we have seen some FAST one that can hang with current nitro unit...that make it interesting...my 0.02 cents.

Last edited by Solara; 05-05-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Tech Champion

Single pack, 14.8. We are working on getting a hard case 14.8 that is taller and 5000+ mah. Belts/pulleys - same position as box stock - HOWEVER the belts will be kevlar not rubber. No way the rubber sp's will stay together (Jim Adkins). If you look, at the photo's, the rec is moved and the steering servo is nudged a bit.

Goal is to stay as OEM as possible.

We have been running the eMP3 to learn about Brushless/LiPo. Really great technologies - opens so many possibilities - good cost per lap as well.
Awesome...please keep us update. And do you know where to buy 1 of these 4200 4S lipo as you mentioned?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by YoDog
P.S. it's cool that this thread got started, huh? I think it went dormant for a while but it's getting hot again. Let's keep it going! I'm seeing a lot of great cars and ideas!
Its getting warm here as well, thats why ON ROAD is back...at least, I don't have to worry about 12" of snow for 5 months now...
Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Awesome...please keep us update. And do you know where to buy 1 of these 4200 4S lipo as you mentioned?
We are currently using a battery from a company we have no prior relationship/experience with.

Once we have confirmed some success with our first swing - we'll see what our battery partners can offer.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

We are currently using a battery from a company we have no prior relationship/experience with.

Once we have confirmed some success with our first swing - we'll see what our battery partners can offer.
Awesome....keep up the good work and looking forward for your result.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:58 PM
wwoodruff

Mid West Series ran IGT, 1/10th and 1/8th together...IGT are using STOCK pull start engine with no mod...lap are usually IGT 13 laps, 1/10th 200mm 15 laps and 1/8th 18 laps...and each one of those are ran by skilled sponcered drivers, and that was according from the just finished race @ Toledo, national class tracks...(not parking lot).

Even putting up some high end Nova Rossi on road or off road engine...I don't see any IGT can make up 5 laps and catch up any 1/8th...and yes, may be 1/10th 200mm TC, but I still think TC will have the edge due to the size. Not to mention...1/8th use foam, IGT use rubber, some not so fast, high down force engine...it just won't drives like 1/8th LOLA type on road...that is a fact.

If you are talking about drag racing...I have nothing to say, anything can be fast...

Again...I don't dislike any of those IGT chassis...just want to express mounting a BL and LIPO on a DM1 Spec does not equal to 1 of these BL/LIPO Serpent, Mugen or Kyosho...far from it.

I don't know other ppl, but for me, IGT should stick with nitro cause there are a big class about this class running in stock form...and of course, there are plenty of conversion out there for ppl to convert to LIPO/BL Buggy and race OFF ROAD...running it on ON ROAD is simply mounting street tires, and some setup adjustment, then go...easy. 1/10th 200mm...no reason to convert, we have plenty of EP 190mm already.........that only leave the 1/8th ON ROAD.......no conversion kit, no nothing...expensive to TEST but we have seen some FAST one that can hang with current nitro unit...that make it interesting...my 0.02 cents.
I never said it did, so lets just leave it at that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.