R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Old 04-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #106
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Here are a few pictures of the MRX3.

The batteries were some Chinese/Ebay junk.
I think I paid $20 each.
I had two different setups. The one in the picture is 2 x 2200mah 3s packs wired in parallel. I wanted to run them in series but the speedo did not like 6s.
The other configuration was 2 x 2200mah 4s packs wired in parallel. they were only 20c packs but for the size they were quick and light.
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-dsc_2991-smallcom.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-dsc_2993-small.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-dsc_3029-comp.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-dsc_clearbody-comp.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-dsc_finished-car-comp.jpg  

YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #107
Tech Elite

Great discussion guys: FYI we were running (2) 40C 5200 SMC packs. on the 10 plus minute run they took 4700mh in charge they came out of the car at 130 temp.

yeah the gearing with the available power was an issue as I had reported the 2.66 gearing 2.61 kept the temp on the motor and speedo under control, just was not fast enough on our 220' straight maxed out and hit the gearing wall. the 2.55 was noticably faster and on par with the gas car.

Also went up to the shop, and di some trouble shooting. looks like the speedo survived he motor melt-down, I soldered in the 3.5 we have and it seems fine.

the 5.5t that smoked is just that totaly smoked and nasty smell.
the un-soldered motor looks to be dead must have took out a circuit board during the un-solder short, also appeared to take out ESC #2

so yodog are you thinking that my therory if we can find the speedo holds up to the 4.5t load we would be able to chill out on the gearing and not load the motor as much therfore keeping the temp on motor and speedo down???
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #108
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post

I think I paid $20 each.
I had two different setups. The one in the picture is 2 x 2200mah 3s packs wired in parallel. I wanted to run them in series but the speedo did not like 6s.
The other configuration was 2 x 2200mah 4s packs wired in parallel. they were only 20c packs but for the size they were quick and light.
Thanks Rick....all of those pictures, I have saved like MONTHS ago when you first posted...I thought you might have some larger (original) size image that you can post so I can take a closer look of the way you mount those 2200 lipo...because, the size of those lipo are what I want to checkout. Once I have the idea about their size, I can start measuring my Serpent and see that is do-able or not...

Beside, when the time you took that Youtube video, you were using the same 4.5 HV motor with the Novak HV speedo along with the (2) 2200 4S lipo (isntead of the 6s) right...? And you mentioned the run time is short...how short are you talking about..? 5 minutes? I thought running (2) 2200 mah 4S parallel will give you about 4400mah @ about 14.8V? (correct me if I am wrong, not always clear about parallel and series...)

I too was wondeirng how can a Novak handle a 6S..? I think, we have only 1 answer left.....TEKIN.

MAD916...keep on trying, and hope to hear good news from you. BTW...you are using Speed Passion setup right..? With Speed Passion Silver Arrow as well? Do you think using a lower turn motor like their 6.5 or even 7.5 and gear it to the moon would actually get the car up to speed? Remember, you are using some nasty (in a good way) 40C 5200 SMC lipo...
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:06 AM   #109
Tech Elite

yeah we are running the SP speedo and silver areo motors. I am not sure guess that is my question...... I was thinking more motor so it would not need to work so hard....... but maybe it a smaller motor wil less draw geared to the moon??????

am taking the advise and ordering a telemetry system so we can see what is going on in real time.
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #110
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
yeah we are running the SP speedo and silver areo motors. I am not sure guess that is my question...... I was thinking more motor so it would not need to work so hard....... but maybe it a smaller motor wil less draw geared to the moon??????

am taking the advise and ordering a telemetry system so we can see what is going on in real time.
Good call!
Having real data to support your testing will prove to be far more productive.

You may find that using a 6.5 - 8.5 motor will be far more efficient yet just as fast with the proper gearing. Like I said earlier, higher voltage/higher turns, lower voltage/lower turns. This will show up on your data logger.
You may also want to be aware of motor timing since you are using the Silver Arrow system.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #111
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Thanks Rick....all of those pictures, I have saved like MONTHS ago when you first posted...I thought you might have some larger (original) size image that you can post so I can take a closer look of the way you mount those 2200 lipo...because, the size of those lipo are what I want to checkout. Once I have the idea about their size, I can start measuring my Serpent and see that is do-able or not...

Beside, when the time you took that Youtube video, you were using the same 4.5 HV motor with the Novak HV speedo along with the (2) 2200 4S lipo (isntead of the 6s) right...? And you mentioned the run time is short...how short are you talking about..? 5 minutes? I thought running (2) 2200 mah 4S parallel will give you about 4400mah @ about 14.8V? (correct me if I am wrong, not always clear about parallel and series...)

I too was wondeirng how can a Novak handle a 6S..? I think, we have only 1 answer left.....TEKIN.

MAD916...keep on trying, and hope to hear good news from you. BTW...you are using Speed Passion setup right..? With Speed Passion Silver Arrow as well? Do you think using a lower turn motor like their 6.5 or even 7.5 and gear it to the moon would actually get the car up to speed? Remember, you are using some nasty (in a good way) 40C 5200 SMC lipo...
Solara,
I mounted the batteries on a custom battery tray that mounts from the bottom. (2X3s 2200)
when I changed to the 4s packs I had to slide them in from the side.
Your thinking is correct regarding the 4s packs in parallel. They were equivalent to 4400mah and I only got about 5 minutes run time from those but I did abuse them quite a bit during initial testing.

The Novak controller would run 5 and 6s but It glitched a lot. (it's only rated to 4s) I now have a MMM v3 that I will use to run the 4.5 but I believe that a lower kv motor will be better suited.
I may go as far as running a 6s 4000mah pack on a 2500kv motor if I can find one that will fit properly. It's a matter of $ funding $

I can send you higher res pictures if you want.
There is limit to post here so I compressed them.

Here is a picture from ebay. I think these were the batteries I started with.
Apparently they were 15c not 20c as I originally posted.

When I ran these the voltage would drop quite a bit under acceleration and the current draw would shoot way up. My data logger said that the system was producing over 1kw during hard acceleration. (Too high for the batteries and motor system).
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-5fd1_2.jpg  

Last edited by YoDog; 04-28-2009 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 04-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #112
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post

I think I paid $20 each.
From your pictures, I can see there are 2 batteries config that you have mentioned...the first 2 on the left, are they the 3S packs placing ACROSS the chassis and stacking up and down?
Then the middle one (3rd pic), seems like they are (2) 4S in parallel but running align with the chassis and speedo OVER the batteries..? Right..?

To be honest, run time is NOT my concern for now, I want the LIPO to fit nicely inside the chassis...speedo on top middle, use the stock steering servo location and mount receiver wherever it will fit....then pick the right 2000-2200kv motor, run on 14.8V with whatever mah that is...and even with a 5 minute good FAST run against the nitro version...I am all good.

Please give me some idea....thanks. Car is Serpent 950R or 960 or MRX4R (which I prefer not to use...I am Serpent guy, and somehow I have a MRX4R).
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #113
Tech Champion

Rick...I think we posted at the same time...LOL. Thanks, and please do send high res pictures to my email (see PM)...
If you want to post high res pics...use photobucket...good site and easy to use.

Also...when you said MMM...is that the Mamba Monster 1/8th speedo?

I have 1 of this at home, planning to use it for my 12th scale but I think I somehow screw up the dimension and it is too long to fit within the 4 cell Nimh bay on my CRC car...but it seems like, 4 of those, stand them up, stack them all togehter is a good fit on the Serpent...but steering servo is on the way....need something smaller.

Here is what I really want to do...but according from you, I don't think it will last 5 minutes...and I really think, they are 4S totall but probably is something like 1000 mah or less helicopter cells...very short, but wide and flat, like a square cell...but it does fit PERFECTLY...you can see the brake servo can still be mounted on the radio plate. And the other side won't rub against the belt. On thier 1st release, they were mentioned a 4200mah 4S lipo will fit there...I swear there are no 4200 4S is like that kinda size....not even (2) 2200mah 4S or (2) 4200 2S will work within that chassis...Pictures are from RedRC

Old 04-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #114
Tech Regular

Default Evolva

I still need wheels/tires and to paint the body-then test! Don
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010001.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010002.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010003.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010004.jpg  
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #115
Tech Master

Solara,
If I remember correctly, the first two pictures had a MaxAmps 2200mah 4s 20c pack. The 3rd has the two 3s ebay packs strapped side by side. They both fit well. I did modify the chassis and the top plate and made a new battery plate to set the cells below the top of the chassis. This gave me enough clearance to mount the speedo on top of the upper plate. I think I used a couple of 2mm spacers under the speedo.

I did mean the Monster Mamba. It can handle 6s so I think it will do a good job at testing different battery and motor setups.

I saw that car on Redrc. It's from Capricorn. Did you notice that the steering servo wont fit with those batteries? I could be wrong...It's a nice project but if they are going to cut a whole new chassis and top plate, they should have relocated some of the components and made the chassis wider to accommodate the speedo and such.

As far as batteries go, I think that 100mm length is going to be the max in most 1/8 onroaders unless the car is re-laid out.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #116
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS II View Post
I still need wheels/tires and to paint the body-then test! Don
I like it!!

One of the best I've seen. Nice going Don!

What batteries are you using, A123?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #117
Tech Regular

Yes, in MEC SPT config. 4s. I know I should have gone with a lower KV motor---. It will be interesting running it. Don
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #118
Tech Champion

Quote:
Yes, in MEC SPT config. 4s. I know I should have gone with a lower KV motor---. It will be interesting running it. Don
Yes...very nice layout, clean and simple...can you tell us what batteries are those (like link online?). Also, what Kv of that HV motor from Novak that you are using..?

Those A123 batteries...do you think they are very much the same size as the current 4800 2S lipo that used for 1/10th TC..(it look like it is alot shorter, my 4800 IP lipo would stick out about 1" if I have to keep the other side of the lipo not touching the side belt)? Because I can see you have to standup the steering servo and rotate 90 in order to fit that 2 batteries going across the chassis...

Also, who made that spur gear adaptor..? I assume it is custom, right..?

Please share the spec and the test run...yes, video would be NICE...
Old 04-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #119
Tech Regular

The two battery packs are 3" long x 2" wide x 1.125" thick. They are sitting side by side so they are 4" long. I had to grind on the front jackshaft belt support to get clearance. I'm hoping to get 5-6 minutes runtime. They can be removed by pulling out the black post between the 2 packs. The gear holder is made up of parts from the 2 speed. The center part is from the 2nd gear clutch. It had a ridge which I turned down. It also had a set screw already in place. The aluminum part is the 1st gear holder. It originally had a one-way bearing in it which I removed.(it was pressed in place) I opened a hole for the set screw and glued the steel center part which I had turned down in place of the one-way bearing. I used JB Weld, so I'm confident it will hold. The only thing I outsourced was the machining of the chassis to mount the motor. Don
Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #120
Tech Master

Quote:
The two battery packs are 3" long x 2" wide x 1.125" thick. They are sitting side by side so they are 4" long. I had to grind on the front jackshaft belt support to get clearance. I'm hoping to get 5-6 minutes runtime. They can be removed by pulling out the black post between the 2 packs. The gear holder is made up of parts from the 2 speed. The center part is from the 2nd gear clutch. It had a ridge which I turned down. It also had a set screw already in place. The aluminum part is the 1st gear holder. It originally had a one-way bearing in it which I removed.(it was pressed in place) I opened a hole for the set screw and glued the steel center part which I had turned down in place of the one-way bearing. I used JB Weld, so I'm confident it will hold. The only thing I outsourced was the machining of the chassis to mount the motor. Don
Hey Don,
I will have a nice lightweight gear adapter for the E'volva coming soon if you are interested.
it will cost about $25. I may make it universal to fit both the "T" pin style lock and set screw type as well as capable of using 48 pitch gears which will open up a huge ratio selection.
I know, I know, 48 pitch on an eighth scale? I ran it on mine and never stripped a gear. I couldn't believe it either but it worked like a charm and quiet!

This is just the prototype from the MRX3 project.
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-pic-0007.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-pic-0004.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-pic-0005.jpg