R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Like Tree1Likes

Old 10-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #976
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I wish their was more of these car in our local track I would make one.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #977
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
Mike, I've actually lost interest in the whole 1/8th conversion topic because of the excessive weight, added cost and complexity that came along with it. It seemed like a novel idea back in 2008 when I built my first conversion for my MRX3, then everybody was harping about doing 10 minutes runtime and competing with the nitro cars without taking into account that most electric classes only run 5 or 6 minutes. That's when the Pan car idea popped into my head. Cheaper, lighter, simpler and easier on the electronics took me back to the original intention of doing the conversion in the first place.
Your idea is 110% correct....I too was saying the PAN CAR idea is the ONLY way to go because of the weight and power train design. As long as we can mount the current 1/8th tires and using the GTP body....4WD and 6S power is totally not necessary.

I would say, your STAGE 2 design will be doing a individual suspension at the REAR (probably using the current 1/8th rear portion)....

I am sure your lap times will be FASTER then the 1/8th 4WD conversion...
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #978
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhand55 View Post
I think the whole idea of 1/8th on road is a really good one. You are right, trying to get 10 minutes out of a 5lb car was stupid back in 2008. Today the packs have more capacity. 1/12th scale runs are 8 minutes. Most everything else in electric is 5 or 6 minutes. The reason I'm looking to convert to electric is there are no local tracks running gas. Even a few years ago, if I wanted to race gas I needed to drive a minimum of 2.5 hours. Those tracks are closed. Look at the pricing of used gas cars on Ebay and you will see that good modern rollers can be had for a couple of hundred dollars. These same cars when new were 600 and up. Why do you think that is? My guess is no place to race.....messy, too much noise.....lots of support hardware...(starter box, fuel, recharging equipment, tire truer, pit man). Don't overlook the pit man. You just can't race gas well without a pit man. Electric eliminates the pit man and the starter box and fuel. It's just way more efficient. Not to mention all the tracks that closed because of the noise. Serpent released the 966E a couple of years ago. I'm really surprised that the class hasn't taken off......Mike
I have the 966e that collecting dust since....the problem of that design are...(1) 4S powered....not enough, it need 5 but ideally, 6S (2) Saddle packs...not enough brand to make a big enough/powerful enough pack to move that brick...(3) Again...car is too heavy, and motor/battery not enough power to move it (4)...I don't want to tell you how many packs of lipo that puffed after pushing that brick around a 1/8th track and try to race against the nitro version...it push the LIPO HARD and alot of lipo just cannot take that beating.

Car need to be lighter, drive train need to be smoother...lipo need to be less. Overall...PAN CAR design is the only way to go.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #979
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Solara

I have to respectfully disagree with your statement that pan car style is the way to go.. The idea of running head to head with nitro cars is not practical. Yes the car is heavy, and the strain on electronics is too much. That much I can agree on. Here's an idea: Don't run head to head with the nitro cars. Run against other E1/8th cars. Set the heats at 6 minutes and just (god forbid) go a little slower. Make it mandatory 4 cell. Make a practical minimum weight that everybody can achieve. You don't have to go 60mph to have fun. If everybody goes as fast as the batteries and motors and esc's allow, then we can compete. New rules, higher minimum weights, battery cell count limits, all have to be agreed upon. As the manufacturers come up with better cells and lighter cars than the mph will go up. Did any of you race thru the 1/12th nicad days? I remember 1700 nicads and 16 turn motors were just about all you could run and make time. Look at that class now. The cars are much the same, just highly refined. The electronics, now that's just an incredible change.
slowhand55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #980
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhand55 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with your statement that pan car style is the way to go.. The idea of running head to head with nitro cars is not practical. Yes the car is heavy, and the strain on electronics is too much. That much I can agree on. Here's an idea: Don't run head to head with the nitro cars. Run against other E1/8th cars. Set the heats at 6 minutes and just (god forbid) go a little slower. Make it mandatory 4 cell. Make a practical minimum weight that everybody can achieve. You don't have to go 60mph to have fun. If everybody goes as fast as the batteries and motors and esc's allow, then we can compete. New rules, higher minimum weights, battery cell count limits, all have to be agreed upon. As the manufacturers come up with better cells and lighter cars than the mph will go up. Did any of you race thru the 1/12th nicad days? I remember 1700 nicads and 16 turn motors were just about all you could run and make time. Look at that class now. The cars are much the same, just highly refined. The electronics, now that's just an incredible change.
In my original MRX3 conversion, I was running 4400mah 25c 4s on a Novak HV 4.5 turn system and the car was fairly light and almost as fast on the straight but faster in the infield than the nitro cars. It would only run about 6 minutes but it was fun. It was at this time that I thought this could go somewhere. Shortly after, that's when it all started to go toward 10 minute run time and 70 mph on the straight to make people take notice. Paks were puffing and speedos were smoking and the cars were getting too fat and IMHO, ugly.
I'll post a few pics of my old friend and you will see how much cleaner it was compared to now. I would not mind going back to the original idea if there was a solid market. For now, the pan car is coming along. I machined the chassis last night and started to assemble the "real" car rather than the virtual one. Pics to come soon!
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #981
M7H
Tech Elite

Low speed grip will be a factor with a 2WD pan car. If you find a way to introduce 4WD there, that that will be a very interesting concept!
But with a moving rear pod, this will be a challenge.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #982
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
Low speed grip will be a factor with a 2WD pan car. If you find a way to introduce 4WD there, that that will be a very interesting concept!
But with a moving rear pod, this will be a challenge.
We already run 1/12th and 1/10th pan cars on tarmac so I don't see any problem here. Maybe you don't spray traction on the tracks in Europe?

Here's where we are so far...
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-imag0014-2-comp.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-imag0015-2-comp.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-imag0016-comp-2-.jpg  
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #983
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
We already run 1/12th and 1/10th pan cars on tarmac so I don't see any problem here. Maybe you don't spray traction on the tracks in Europe?

Yessssssssss! Cant wait!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #984
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (99%+)

Quote:

Damn just another car I'm gonna want good job dude!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #985
Tech Rookie

I just jumped on the 1/8 on road ban wagon, just ordered a GTP2e and cant wait to drop my 1600kv motor in it along w/ a 150a esc. I am gearing this thing tall 36p/36s according to speed estimators this puts me around 136 MPH! Im sure I wont reach this in real world (ie: weight, drag, wind resistance, and down force) but it will truly make me smile to blow the doors off an XO1 at half the cost.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #986
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekin Prez View Post
Schumacher had one on display at IHobby in Chicago.

We are putting a lot of effort into products for 1/8 scale and monster truck electric. Check out the new video of our Emaxx with the R1MT BL system in it on our website. Should be posted later today. Incredible! This system should push a 1/8 onroad with no problems.. other than broken parts due to the insane speeds and power.

Sorry for the plug, but it impressed even me and that is tough to do.

Bring on the 1/8 electrics!

Tekin Prez
Hi! Please dont say to much cause i fried your RX8īs like nothing when i had my serpent 966 on 6s lipos.

How many amps can it handle? Like 250 range?
tjompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #987
Tech Regular

Please hold the laughter- how about a scaled up Micro RS4 or the old Kyosho Phazer? Don
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #988
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:

Looking forward to seeing some video!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #989
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:

That's true, we don't spray.
Good luck with the project!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #990
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Is this topic over.....

No posts in a number of days. Did anybody weigh a gas setup vs a lipo setup?
slowhand55 is offline   Reply With Quote