R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Old 09-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #961
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
well guys, I've been really spending some quality time with Solidworks the last few days. I think I'm getting really close to cutting some CF and getting this thing built.
Does a 1/8th scale pan car make you stop and say "Hmmmmm"?
I have allways wondered why no one has done that.

Very nice model.
MatsNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #962
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Looks awesome!

The steering setup looks great, but won't your bump steer change as you go through the steering range? It looks like it will change very slightly though. I'm assuming the front suspension is setup like a 1/12 or WGT pan car with custom lower arms and custom upright?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #963
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbt3 View Post
Looks awesome!

The steering setup looks great, but won't your bump steer change as you go through the steering range? It looks like it will change very slightly though. I'm assuming the front suspension is setup like a 1/12 or WGT pan car with custom lower arms and custom upright?
Thanks,
I was a bit concerned about the bump steer as well but it should be better than the servo saver type of steering that you would see in most pan car layouts. There is only about a difference of 3mm from the top of the arch and full throw.
The whole front end is custom and uses the same principal as a 1/12 and WGT as you stated.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #964
Tech Addict

Quote:
well guys, I've been really spending some quality time with Solidworks the last few days. I think I'm getting really close to cutting some CF and getting this thing built.
Does a 1/8th scale pan car make you stop and say "Hmmmmm"?
As a fellow CAD designer, I must say great work
Boca Bearings - www.bocabearings.com
UrabusDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #965
Tech Initiate

I would really like to see one
rcguy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #966
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
I was a bit concerned about the bump steer as well
Bump steer isn't always bad...
I sometimes use it on my 8th scale nitro onroad as well, because you automatically get more high speed steering.....

But, a 4S/6S 8th scale electric car NEEDS 4WD.
I also drive a 2WD Pro10, with a 4T modified motor in it, and believe me, slow corners are a challenge......
Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #967
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
Bump steer isn't always bad...
I sometimes use it on my 8th scale nitro onroad as well, because you automatically get more high speed steering.....

But, a 4S/6S 8th scale electric car NEEDS 4WD.
I also drive a 2WD Pro10, with a 4T modified motor in it, and believe me, slow corners are a challenge......
The pan design is primarily for 2-3s configurations with a 540-550 sized motors.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #968
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default E 1/8 on road

Does anyone have a converted on road that they would be willing to part with? Or maybe just the parts to convert my Serpent 950R? I have an RX8 ESC and a T8 1400kv motor.I have a very large box of 1/8th on road mounted foam and no tracks to run the nitro car on. Electric would be the solution for me. Does it seem weird that I'm looking for a car to use up the foam?
slowhand55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #969
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhand55 View Post
Does anyone have a converted on road that they would be willing to part with? Or maybe just the parts to convert my Serpent 950R? I have an RX8 ESC and a T8 1400kv motor.I have a very large box of 1/8th on road mounted foam and no tracks to run the nitro car on. Electric would be the solution for me. Does it seem weird that I'm looking for a car to use up the foam?
Hey Mike, you want to run E1/8th also???
I can design a conversion for you. The primary issue is battery space but if you are willing to go the route of a saddle bag configuration, it makes things a lot easier. You can find many of my designs throughout this thread. Most are more complicated since I always wanted to centralize the weight. I'm now considering a series of conversions for the most popular nitro cars that utilize a saddle bag layout. In most cases the conversion will include battery brackets, motor mount, gear adapter and a new top deck.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #970
Tech Apprentice

Default E 1/8th

Battery space....Oh no not again ! ! (referring to the E4 thread) I thought that the removal of the fuel tank and engine would give more than enough room to slip in a 4s pack. It seems that the batteries just keep getting bigger and bigger. I saw a video on Utube of a guy that had converted a Serpent and a Shepherd to 6s center mounted (nicely balanced) pack and even retained the brake system and servo, also the 2 speed. It all fit very nicely in the car. He claims that the total car weight was 2550 grams. I'll find the post and resend it to this thread. The guy had long hair and spoke in german I think....I'm sure you've already seen it.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #971
Tech Master

Quote:
Battery space....Oh no not again ! ! (referring to the E4 thread) I thought that the removal of the fuel tank and engine would give more than enough room to slip in a 4s pack. It seems that the batteries just keep getting bigger and bigger. I saw a video on Utube of a guy that had converted a Serpent and a Shepherd to 6s center mounted (nicely balanced) pack and even retained the brake system and servo, also the 2 speed. It all fit very nicely in the car. He claims that the total car weight was 2550 grams. I'll find the post and resend it to this thread. The guy had long hair and spoke in german I think....I'm sure you've already seen it.
Mike, I've actually lost interest in the whole 1/8th conversion topic because of the excessive weight, added cost and complexity that came along with it. It seemed like a novel idea back in 2008 when I built my first conversion for my MRX3, then everybody was harping about doing 10 minutes runtime and competing with the nitro cars without taking into account that most electric classes only run 5 or 6 minutes. That's when the Pan car idea popped into my head. Cheaper, lighter, simpler and easier on the electronics took me back to the original intention of doing the conversion in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-i-think-its-done-4.jpg  
Old 10-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #972
Tech Apprentice

Default In praise of e1/8 on road

I think the whole idea of 1/8th on road is a really good one. You are right, trying to get 10 minutes out of a 5lb car was stupid back in 2008. Today the packs have more capacity. 1/12th scale runs are 8 minutes. Most everything else in electric is 5 or 6 minutes. The reason I'm looking to convert to electric is there are no local tracks running gas. Even a few years ago, if I wanted to race gas I needed to drive a minimum of 2.5 hours. Those tracks are closed. Look at the pricing of used gas cars on Ebay and you will see that good modern rollers can be had for a couple of hundred dollars. These same cars when new were 600 and up. Why do you think that is? My guess is no place to race.....messy, too much noise.....lots of support hardware...(starter box, fuel, recharging equipment, tire truer, pit man). Don't overlook the pit man. You just can't race gas well without a pit man. Electric eliminates the pit man and the starter box and fuel. It's just way more efficient. Not to mention all the tracks that closed because of the noise. Serpent released the 966E a couple of years ago. I'm really surprised that the class hasn't taken off......Mike
Old 10-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #973
Tech Master

Quote:
I think the whole idea of 1/8th on road is a really good one. You are right, trying to get 10 minutes out of a 5lb car was stupid back in 2008. Today the packs have more capacity. 1/12th scale runs are 8 minutes. Most everything else in electric is 5 or 6 minutes. The reason I'm looking to convert to electric is there are no local tracks running gas. Even a few years ago, if I wanted to race gas I needed to drive a minimum of 2.5 hours. Those tracks are closed. Look at the pricing of used gas cars on Ebay and you will see that good modern rollers can be had for a couple of hundred dollars. These same cars when new were 600 and up. Why do you think that is? My guess is no place to race.....messy, too much noise.....lots of support hardware...(starter box, fuel, recharging equipment, tire truer, pit man). Don't overlook the pit man. You just can't race gas well without a pit man. Electric eliminates the pit man and the starter box and fuel. It's just way more efficient. Not to mention all the tracks that closed because of the noise. Serpent released the 966E a couple of years ago. I'm really surprised that the class hasn't taken off......Mike
Being a long time nitro racer myself, I totally agree.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #974
Tech Master

Yeah, electrics have their benefits!

The only downside is the shortish runtime. But if everyone has the same, then it's not a big deal.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #975
Tech Apprentice

Default Short runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaR View Post
Yeah, electrics have their benefits!

The only downside is the shortish runtime. But if everyone has the same, then it's not a big deal.
Back in the late 80's and early 90's I did a lot of 1/12th racing. I have to tell you that 8 minutes was some of the most intense racing I've ever experienced. 8 cars all on the same lap.....for 40 laps....I don't remember blinking...Mike