R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Like Tree1Likes

Old 12-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #841
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 2 speed

For regular racing there is no need for the 2 speed. I have built 7 1/8 Mugen based on road cars, the first 3 were 2 speed the next 4 were single speed and the single speed way outperforms the 2 speed. I run the Tekin system with the 2650kv motor in a Mugen mrx4x I haven't done any work or testing on it in over a year but I have well over 200 packs through my current version. I have the battery centrally mounted where the gas tank would be and I have custom made 4cell 6500 mah packs that fit perfectly in there, the car is a little heavier than the nitro version and has a little more weight in the front. When I was at the track I had a nationl a main drivers run my car, his laps were consistently over a second faster with my E car than his car and he said he wasn't pushing it because it wasn't his car. In race conditions on a track I get close to 13 minutes of runtime. All out parking lot runs are 8-9 minutes. I've been saying for 2 years I will post some pics, I will try to do it later this weekend.
madmikepags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #842
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNR Graphite View Post
Don't forget when you run a 2 speed you will need to add another servo for braking and have a radio the has the capability for third channel mixing for the esc and braking servo.
SNR
My kitchen aid mixer mixes just fine thanks.
Motonica P81 RS Electron w/Tekin RX8 and 1900kv
Motonica P81 RS.2 Electron w/Tekin RX8 and 2050kv
DanielD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #843
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikepags View Post
For regular racing there is no need for the 2 speed. I have built 7 1/8 Mugen based on road cars, the first 3 were 2 speed the next 4 were single speed and the single speed way outperforms the 2 speed. I run the Tekin system with the 2650kv motor in a Mugen mrx4x I haven't done any work or testing on it in over a year but I have well over 200 packs through my current version. I have the battery centrally mounted where the gas tank would be and I have custom made 4cell 6500 mah packs that fit perfectly in there, the car is a little heavier than the nitro version and has a little more weight in the front. When I was at the track I had a nationl a main drivers run my car, his laps were consistently over a second faster with my E car than his car and he said he wasn't pushing it because it wasn't his car. In race conditions on a track I get close to 13 minutes of runtime. All out parking lot runs are 8-9 minutes. I've been saying for 2 years I will post some pics, I will try to do it later this weekend.
Well the Motonica I put the 2 speed on is needed for regular racing. Drag racing that is.
Motonica P81 RS Electron w/Tekin RX8 and 1900kv
Motonica P81 RS.2 Electron w/Tekin RX8 and 2050kv
DanielD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #844
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes for drag racing and speed runs the 2 speed definitely helps the the car achieve higher top speeds and lightens the amp draw on start up. But for road racing it's not needed.
madmikepags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #845
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikepags View Post
Dear Sirs, may I ask for the gear ratio and the kv of the motor on each of the single speed and the two speeds by which you builded can catch the most energy save, highest power and speed please?
Fei Hung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:03 AM   #846
NDZ
Tech Apprentice

Default LRP iX8 speedo

Hi guys,

Anybody tried the new LRP Speedo yet? It's capable of 6S lipo and seems very up for the job judging from the specs at the LRP site.
NDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #847
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

That Pan Car looks pretty cool. The conversions are all nice as well.
But I think that TRAXXAS has a car that's so innovative that it should leave these in the dust. (Okay maybe not one with foam tires ) Yeah, I know , TRAXXAS ?! WT....
The XO~1 has full ground effects and a sleek body and has the ability to achieve 100 mph! I don't care too much for the radio even tho it's a 2.4 Gig system and it even has telemetry to your iPhone. Even without the boost from iPod it will do 70 and that should be plenty! If we all had one and ran the rubber tires ( I hope they last a day or so LOL ) I think it would be excellent racing and a fast fast fast spec. class. IMHO
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #848
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
But I think that TRAXXAS has a car that's so innovative that it should leave these in the dust. (Okay maybe not one with foam tires ) Yeah, I know , TRAXXAS ?! WT....
The XO~1 has full ground effects and a sleek body and has the ability to achieve 100 mph! I don't care too much for the radio even tho it's a 2.4 Gig system and it even has telemetry to your iPhone. Even without the boost from iPod it will do 70 and that should be plenty! If we all had one and ran the rubber tires ( I hope they last a day or so LOL ) I think it would be excellent racing and a fast fast fast spec. class. IMHO
LOL, there really is nothing inovative to me about that traxxas hyped, and over marketed car vs what is being raced in the 8th scale world IMO..
and leaving one of these raced preped cars in the dust??? yeah right
out of the box the so called Expert Only car does 50 maybe 60mph on 6s not 70mph (but to me that still is fast enough)
and the telemetry to your phone is not new...
brushless55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #849
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
stretching a slash a few MM's and putting a basic ground effects kit on is not terribly innovative. That's really all the x0-1 is, A copy of the SSC LCG slash chassis(a nearly identical one), with 17mm hubs, and a big motor. It's NOT that new, it's NOT that amazing, and it's probably not even going to be gt8 legal, much less be allowed on the track with the LOLA's(It wont be competitive certainly....especially once a turn becomes involved...)
txaggie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #850
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

I think you guys are missing the point. To race something like that and be faster than the Nitro cars is kinda crazy . As a support class maybe .. Geez I can't imagine routing all that foam off rims to see whose car is faster ... or to say I can race a faster car than you. And I see the slash platform and yes its adapted to be what it is. And its nothing without the package and yes I agree the telemetry... Fact is the potential for an electric eights scale car is out of this world especially in a 4wd (nitro) conversion. I was trying to use that as an example. No one has done an aerodynamic package like this !! Not just a flexy wing of a shell but an entire package that can run and has a potential to go way too fast. The cars we race are fast enough. Competition will only drive the speeds up and if we start throwing caution to the wind, SOMEONES GOING TO GET HURT! Build what you want. No argument there, tinker away and let us all marvel at your creations. I LOVE IT ALL. On and off road. Rule makers aren't going to regulate anything there is no industry standard for. Seems like Short Course 4x4 is already headed down that road. The class is relativity new and its out of control. 550 cans.. 4 pole motors.. $150 ea.
Run time like as in an hour main is what the big cars are for. If you want a class of cars there needs to be a set goal in mind not just fast. I know 200 cycles in a car is a great track record. get ten of them out there and one battery gets T-Boned and its over. I could use a certain analogy but I'd get booted off the site. Lets just say crash and burn...
Old 01-03-2012, 04:46 AM   #851
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry, I have no idea what you just said. Try paragraphs....cause you made no sense.

The xo-1 is a marketing gimmick by traxxas to convince people they're going fast....you'd be amazed how many cars I saw working in a hobby shop that "could go like 70", but wouldn't top 40 in a parking lot. This car really bugs the snot out of me, cause all we will hear about on the basher side for a year or so is XO1 OMGOZORZ!@!@#!!$!!!!!!111!!!. I'm already dreading it locally, as we're trying to get a fledgling 1/8gt electric class going, and are going to have to politely but firmly tell people no, 1/7 is not 1/8. There aero dynamics package is neat, and I'm sure it will help, but has anyone singing its praises stopped to consider, if it's so wonderful, why hasn't serpent, xray, motonika, or mugen looked at it before?
txaggie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #852
Tech Master

Look , go back and read it again. Most of you read between the lines anyways. I don't think the XO~1 is all that great just that I was using it as an example. All the components are inside something more than just a Lexan body. What I've seen, most conversions have the packs literally hanging off the side. Having raced 1/8 Nitro On-Road I know that pipes get wrecked from time to time. Isn't that where the batteries are ? Someone needs to re engineer the entire car to optimize weight distribution and drive line efficiency. The so called off road format that the TRAXXAS car uses is better. The problem is that on road racing is not even close to being as popular as the off road cars and there is no real market for someone to "create" a new class of car. I'm a passionate racer that like it to be right from the start and not some post opp. trans sexual Frankenstein machine. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the cars I've seen in this forum. That Mugen is wickid (say it like its typed lol) I'm sure! But even Frankenstein had bolts sticking out of his neck and had a flat head.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:20 AM   #853
Tech Adept

Custom carbon fiber parts for my P81, not sure if I dare run with the car any more

dark_luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #854
Tech Adept

Exclamation WOW!

what motor and kv are you running in that sexy beast?
brushless55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #855
Tech Master

That P81 is beautiful but I just can't see hanging two sticks of C4 off either side. Easily damaged I would imagine.