R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #811
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Nice. It looks like its missing the center mounted spring and shock unless that was omitted from the picture just for now. Also what front end are you basing that off of? Kyosho?

I'm kinda interested on how you plan on mounting those 1/8 rear tires to that straight axle. Will it be a threaded adapter with a large hex nut?
Yeah the shock has yet to be modeled but I will add it soon as I want to show both an in-line battery and a transverse (shorty pack) layout so I will need to create a mounting post as well as a bridge for the shock mount. I will have these parts done soon. As far as the wheels go, I will have a nut threaded onto the end of the hub like the 1/8th offroad hubs. They will have a "T" pin or perhaps a "T" pin style adapter so the wheels will lock rotationally. Haven't decided yet. With adapters, I could easily change from serpent wheel offsets to Mugen/Kyosho with a simple adapter swap.
I will soon have the bumper modeled as well as the body mounts.
The front end is based off of Kyosho Evolva parts as I have plenty on hand until I am able to afford to make a new front end from the ground up.
Keep in mind that this is a prototype and the picture I posted is from CAD not an actual build...Yet. All suggestions are very welcomed.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #812
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

That is the perfect answer for 1/8th on road...don't need the 4WD, just need the adaptor you mount the current 1/8th wheel sets and 1/8th body...the rest can be done by the track.

I am sure 4S powered will be fast enough....especially we can run 2700 motor on this without overheating the ESC and motor due to the weight.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #813
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
That is the perfect answer for 1/8th on road...don't need the 4WD, just need the adaptor you mount the current 1/8th wheel sets and 1/8th body...the rest can be done by the track.

I am sure 4S powered will be fast enough....especially we can run 2700 motor on this without overheating the ESC and motor due to the weight.
After running my WGT car for the past year, I realize that an 1/8th scale pan car would be cheaper, faster and more fun than any other class I have ever raced. I have fallen in love with what a pivot pod pan car can do.
My intentions are to run this prototype with a 6.5 turn, 550 motor on a Tekin RS Pro with only 2 to 3 cells. Might consider a boosted 8.5 turn motor as well. I am only interested in 6 minute heats although with battery swaps, it could run long mains. This car should be super efficient and very light weight compared to its 1/8 scale counterparts. With the wide track and tons of grip from those big tires and lola bodies, I'm sure this could be a class to save onroad.
It's my intention to eventually engineer this car down to the $350 to $450 price range which hopefully will attract some competition. I have left enough room in the pod for bigger motors but I really want to stay as mainstream as possible as far as electronics go. Heck maybe even a 540 stock class which could run boosted 10.5 on 2 cells.
I just want to get this thing built and on the track asap so at least I can generate some interest beyond the forums.

Thanks for all your input.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #814
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
After running my WGT car for the past year, I realize that an 1/8th scale pan car would be cheaper, faster and more fun than any other class I have ever raced. I have fallen in love with what a pivot pod pan car can do.
My intentions are to run this prototype with a 6.5 turn, 550 motor on a Tekin RS Pro with only 2 to 3 cells. Might consider a boosted 8.5 turn motor as well. I am only interested in 6 minute heats although with battery swaps, it could run long mains. This car should be super efficient and very light weight compared to its 1/8 scale counterparts. With the wide track and tons of grip from those big tires and lola bodies, I'm sure this could be a class to save onroad.
It's my intention to eventually engineer this car down to the $350 to $450 price range which hopefully will attract some competition. I have left enough room in the pod for bigger motors but I really want to stay as mainstream as possible as far as electronics go. Heck maybe even a 540 stock class which could run boosted 10.5 on 2 cells.
I just want to get this thing built and on the track asap so at least I can generate some interest beyond the forums.

Thanks for all your input.
To actually take the full advantage of the WGT...I think you should try the CRC or AE front end, then use a bigger steering knuckle like the Tamiya F103 type...and make a special bearing wheel adaptor (Wolfpack did that like 10+ years ago) that can mount the 1/8th front tires. The front end of your prototype still need to use 2 front shocks and full 1/8th nitro car front end, which are super heavy...

With that..I really think 2-3S, with 540 550 motor, and run BOOST is definitely just as fast as the nitro version...not to mention, 15 minutes of run time with 6500mah plus lipo.........
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #815
Tech Master

So true about the front end...
My next iteration will be a live single pivot arm system like CRC but I will need to source some off the shelf parts as well as prototype them in a larger scale.
I'm just concerned about the strength of the currently available parts.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #816
Tech Regular

Anyone got some review about Motonica P81RS Electron? Any good?

http://www.motonica.com/en/products/ELECTRON-SERIES_17

Nitro: nb48.3 / xb8

Last edited by ferrarieeeee; 10-28-2011 at 02:01 AM.
ferrarieeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #817
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This is a video from last year showing the first time out with the P81 Electron. The RS is essentially the same, just improved with some aluminum parts and altered shock geometry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jwldSNT7cI

Not exactly a review, but you can see it get around the track.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #818
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarieeeee View Post
Anyone got some review about Motonica P81RS Electron? Any good?

http://www.motonica.com/en/products/ELECTRON-SERIES_17
I can give you my review that its a well built car. I actually have 3 Motonica electrons.
I have the p81 rs, the P8 F ,and the regular p81 with the dual battery upgrade. Its alittle hard to get parts but its worth the wait imo. Haven't had a chance to put them on the track yet but I built one for drag racing and it leaves so good its unbelievable.
Motonica P81 RS Electron w/Tekin RX8 and 1900kv
Motonica P81 RS.2 Electron w/Tekin RX8 and 2050kv
DanielD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #819
Tech Master

Daniel, just curious, where do you order your parts from?

Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #820
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen View Post
Daniel, just curious, where do you order your parts from?
From my LHS or amain hobbies.
Motonica P81 RS Electron w/Tekin RX8 and 1900kv
Motonica P81 RS.2 Electron w/Tekin RX8 and 2050kv
DanielD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 AM   #821
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

for the guys that dont read the 966E thread,
yesterday was teh Australian Nationals EP onroad titles.
we ran a Demo Class with the 8th scales.
track temp was 45C and Ambient 27C . setup is 4S 6500Mah.
we need more speed. well top end speed. its quite a large track, might not look it on teh Vid, but it is. Mod touring cars were clocked at 115kms/hr 8th scales, about 89-91 . fastest lap in mod touring car was a 15.7 through the qualies and finals. My 8th scale was 14.8. the car is setup very well, and is a pleasure to drive. i do drive Gas as well, and i can say, the EP has way more accel but not the top speed. so if we really want this to take off, we need something from the Motor/Speedy companies. i really think we need to be able to add some Turbo to these cars, or a dedicated on road motor with less bottom end, and more top speed.

here is the link to the Video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBov3EFFUlo
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #822
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
for the guys that dont read the 966E thread,
yesterday was teh Australian Nationals EP onroad titles.
we ran a Demo Class with the 8th scales.
track temp was 45C and Ambient 27C . setup is 4S 6500Mah.
we need more speed. well top end speed. its quite a large track, might not look it on teh Vid, but it is. Mod touring cars were clocked at 115kms/hr 8th scales, about 89-91 . fastest lap in mod touring car was a 15.7 through the qualies and finals. My 8th scale was 14.8. the car is setup very well, and is a pleasure to drive. i do drive Gas as well, and i can say, the EP has way more accel but not the top speed. so if we really want this to take off, we need something from the Motor/Speedy companies. i really think we need to be able to add some Turbo to these cars, or a dedicated on road motor with less bottom end, and more top speed.

here is the link to the Video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBov3EFFUlo
Nice to see you guys already have a little class going with 1/8 ep.
Because of the ongoing noise issues around the world I think the 1/8 ep class could be a serious class within 2-3 years.

This winter I will be working on an electric 1/8 which will be as fast or faster then an gas 1/8. The second aim is to be able to run it for 10 minutes straight at those speeds. The third aim is to make it as reliable as an 1/10 ep car.

The front and rear suspension will come from an Capricorn LAB-C801 and the rest will be designed by me.
I'm working together with an motor and an electronic controller company in order to make the electrics reliable and fast.

Ow and it will have the same weight as an 1/8 gas car, around 2500 grams.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #823
Tech Master

We have run the Motonica P81E at our track, and I have seen the cars go 10 minutes at full speed, with no reliabilty issues, with better infield speed, and I would say about 95% or more of the speed on the straight, compared to the nitro cars. I don't know what electronics were in the cars (I keep forgetting), but I will try to find out.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #824
Tech Elite

this class will mainly be aimed at the guys who already Run Gas, but are not able to due to Noise. so i dont think it will take off if everyone wants to re invent what manufacturers allready have done. Its Working. just no exposure of it. Running the Demo class on teh weekend at National level, it sparked alot of interest, and already we have 3 or so more runners getting things happening.

my current layout is only about 30 grams over the Gas weight , with out trying.
so it is very possible to get them leaner, but most important, is Top Speed. this doesnt have anything to do with the weight or design. its purely either battery configuration, or the type of motors used. i mean if we want more top speed only, we need the likes of Turbo software, and some more practicle gearing options. these Buggy motors have a ton of Torque. we can loose some of that for top speed and it wont suffer. my car was the fastest, and most reliable out of all. so it had reliability and the lap time. but it can go faster. now this Demo is done, i will be working on it to get these up to speed, well top speed. i highly doubt a rear wheel drive car will attract the Gas racers who can not run their cars anymore due to noise. an upgrade kit to make them EP is more practicle, and will keep them racing for longer.

Garen, not sure if you can do it, but i have spoken to serpent , and was looking at making the 2speed shafts a little longer to get the packs more central in the middle. im in the process of cleaning up the car, and i will take some pics. but the way mine is done, just about any battery can fit in the middle. just the over hang ont eh clutch side is a little uneven, but you can see by the performance of the car, it doesnt effect car setup.there are ways around that.

i just hope every manufacturer doesnt go off and do their own thing, and make what is being run now, not able to be raced.we have proved here it is a class that can be raced with reliability, and with pace. 8th scale wont be the same with out 4WD .
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #825
Tech Elite

here are some pics of my layout and design.
another dimension to this, is that the packs used are race legal, and are safe with any Clubs Insurance. Roar Approved and you can use your touring car packs to run it. just like the Motonica design, it makes a cheaper transition or if a racer wants a choice to run the 8th scale or his tourer. no need for anymore packs. and the Batteries are Cost effective.
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-100_3456.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-100_3457.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-100_3458.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-100_3459.jpg  
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T