R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #676
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Are you talking about a straight axle car with floating rear pod? Something like an oversized 1/10th World GT car?
That would work too... less is more..

After all the Pro10 cars are supposedly faster on some tracks.

Why not start with a simple design and evolve from there?

Just like the 1/8 scale nitros did. Electro might take a different direction.
MatsNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #677
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
One thing to consider is whether or not it's really necessary to run a 20 or 30 minute main. Sure it would be a contender for the nitro class but why run with the nitro cars? If enough electrics come out to make a class of their own, why not shoot for 6 minutes instead, just like any other electric class.

If I manage to get the pan car built, I expect to get over 10 minutes of run time with a 3 cell pack. We could use 550 sized motors since they are becoming more popular and will run on a regular speedo.

If I build the pan car will it sell?
I am going to try to run mine with Novak 550 ballistic 4.5t 5000kv with 4s.
SNR Graphite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #678
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Are you talking about a straight axle car with floating rear pod? Something like an oversized 1/10th World GT car?
Exactly but maybe with damped front suspension instead of the spring loaded kingpin style. I might just keep the front end much like it already is but put the servo in between the bulkheads to free up more room on the chassis. I should post up some rough models of what I have in mind.

maybe next week.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #679
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Exactly but maybe with damped front suspension instead of the spring loaded kingpin style. I might just keep the front end much like it already is but put the servo in between the bulkheads to free up more room on the chassis. I should post up some rough models of what I have in mind.

maybe next week.
Maybe you should look at the BMI Copperhead front end.

YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #680
Tech Champion

Here's another interesting front end to consider.(Yokomo R12)

It uses both a torsion bar and a mono shock

Old 05-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #681
Tech Master

Those are pretty cool but the parts are already there for the 1/8th setup and if I simply replace the bulkheads with something a little simpler, The original front end components can stay where they are. Considering the body mounts and shock tower are already low and set up for the bodies we would run it wouldn't be far fetched to think that the arms and steering blocks could stay the way they are. I would like to minimize the number of parts to be fabricated and the pan car arms that are available are not likely going to be strong enough for a 1/8th sized car. The suggestions are great though!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #682
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Those are pretty cool but the parts are already there for the 1/8th setup and if I simply replace the bulkheads with something a little simpler, The original front end components can stay where they are. Considering the body mounts and shock tower are already low and set up for the bodies we would run it wouldn't be far fetched to think that the arms and steering blocks could stay the way they are. I would like to minimize the number of parts to be fabricated and the pan car arms that are available are not likely going to be strong enough for a 1/8th sized car. The suggestions are great though!
This is the way to go, I bet it's plenty fast even a 2S battery. Montonic p8c electron, at the bottom of the page. I think they are imported by Motonica USA.

http://www.motonica.com/en/products/ELECTRON-SERIES_17
williamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #683
Tech Addict

The Montonica GP race is this weekend in L.A. I will try to run my Mugen MRX2e against these car. Their about 4 guys in this area that has the car I am the only Mugen.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #684
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamw View Post
This is the way to go, I bet it's plenty fast even a 2S battery. Montonic p8c electron, at the bottom of the page. I think they are imported by Motonica USA.

http://www.motonica.com/en/products/ELECTRON-SERIES_17
I've seen the Motonica run. It works pretty good. It sufferred the same problem on the straight as Yodog's due to lack of timing advance from the Tekin speedo. Now that we know the Vegas software will work with the RX8, that shouldn't be a problem anymore. However, I like Yodog's design better because of the simpified design of using one centralized battery.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #685
Tech Addict

I would of went Yodog route too but I couldn't get that battery plus I didn't want to spend more money because I have so many of the 2s hardcase packs.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #686
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostaG View Post
I don't think this relates to what this thread is about.
Well this thread is about 1/8 scale onroad cars and this new KT8 is a 1/8 scale onroad go kart, which techinically is a car.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #687
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
Well this thread is about 1/8 scale onroad cars and this new KT8 is a 1/8 scale onroad go kart, which techinically is a car.
That's fine, at least this thread is getting some traffic again.
I would invite anyone who is interested in large scale electric on road. The go cart has some interesting design ideas.

I've been following the Motonica stuff ever since they started working on the electric designs. Nice cars but I still would like to see a larger pod style pan car hit the big tracks. I ran my WGT on an eighth scale track and it felt so lonely out there. A bigger, tougher and faster pan design should be a ton of fun and the costs will be minimal.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #688
Tech Elite

Great discussion and awesome R&D going on here. We ran the E-mugen last night about 5 packs through it, but stepped up to the larger 4000mh packs on the same gearing as the small packs the the Tekin T8 rotor did not enjoy it. either temp related failure on the too tall gearing or a plain old rotor let loose. will be sending it back to Jim to take a look at. was working great till then with consistant 6min runs....

What a blast. i will be bolting my 1515-1Y Nue motor back in tonight and run it at our club race tomorrow....
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-e-mugen.jpg  
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #689
Tech Addict

Well here is my finished project.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #690
Tech Master

That looks great Steve!
The 550 motor should be good. I used their old 550 motor in my first project and it ran very good. You may want to change to a sensored speed control as you will be able to manipulate the timing. It could prove to be very important for these cars. Watch your temps and have fun