R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #631
Tech Master
 
YoDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lompoc, Ca.
Posts: 1,636
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Bumperoonie
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #632
Tech Addict
 
SNR Graphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 586
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I working on one right now hopefully it will be done by next Friday for the Montonica GT race in L.A..
SNR Graphite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #633
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 442
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNR Graphite View Post
I working on one right now hopefully it will be done by next Friday for the Montonica GT race in L.A..
Is it a Motonica car?
williamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #634
Tech Addict
 
SNR Graphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 586
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I have a old Mugen MRX2 THAT I AM CONVERTING.
SNR Graphite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #635
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 1,063
Default

I'm picking up my Serpent 960 tomorrow. Yay, my first 1/8. Been pouring over this thread and many others, and am trying to sort out what motor and battery sizes to use.
I want it to be a pure track car. We have a 1/8 size track that I race 1/10 on. There are no other 1/8e cars, but plenty of Nitro's.
With electric brakes, single speed, no clutch, what would be preferred out of 6S 1700kV or 5S 2050kV? I'm hoping I can raise the top deck to fit a 5S in, otherwise it's twin 3S outriggers, which I don't like the idea of much.
Ideas?
__________________
Agama A8 Evo | GRP .21 | Spektrum | Savox

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #636
Tech Apprentice
 
East Bay Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 79
Default

Here's the latest installment of my 1/8 scale, on road, brushless conversion, this time being driven by Kevin Jelich. Notice the smoothness of power from turn to turn, not to mention how quickly it accelerates from each turn to the next.

In the video, I was running a smaller pinion, but I later ran it with a pinion 1 tooth larger and the difference on the straight was quite noticeable.
Run time with this setup is between 9-11 minutes depending on how hard you drive. Motor temps came in no higher than 150 degrees after 11 minutes of running. Data logging showed that amp spikes were no higher than 142 amps. The average amp draw was about 30 amps.

I believe the car can now compete in a 30 minute main without issues. I have a method of doing a battery change that doesn't involve removing the body, so pitstops, while they will take about 10 seconds, are possible. Remember, though, that in a 30 minute main, only 3 pitstops are necessary.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
Losi 8ight 2.0 Tekin 2050 Combo 4S
Ofna Hyper10 SC Mamba Max Pro / Novak 5.5 2S
Kyosho eEvolva M3 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 6S--Track Car
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 S6--Track Car#2
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Castle Creations 2650 Combo 6S--Drag Race Car
East Bay Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #637
Tech Addict
 
SNR Graphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 586
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

WOW that car looks like it handle and accelerate really good. Do you have a picture of the car layout and what brand of car is it?
SNR Graphite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #638
Tech Apprentice
 
East Bay Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNR Graphite View Post
WOW that car looks like it handle and accelerate really good. Do you have a picture of the car layout and what brand of car is it?
The car is a Kyosho Evolva M3. The conversion is something simple that I've been working on for about 2 years. It doesn't take much to bolt on.

See this post in this thread:

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car
__________________
Losi 8ight 2.0 Tekin 2050 Combo 4S
Ofna Hyper10 SC Mamba Max Pro / Novak 5.5 2S
Kyosho eEvolva M3 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 6S--Track Car
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 S6--Track Car#2
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Castle Creations 2650 Combo 6S--Drag Race Car
East Bay Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #639
Tech Master
 
rcmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: plano,tx
Posts: 1,692
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

What would 4S and like a 1800kv be like do u think in a evolva 05 ? Or a bigger KV i can get also? The track is kinda big,about 240 ft straight away with sweeper. I would like to keep 4S cause thats what i already have many of in 1/8 off road buggy.
__________________
See avatar, You have never Experienced FUN till you ride Motocross. Sponsors include Dunlop tires, FX graphics, Rad mfg and TH-R...
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #640
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 1,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
I'm picking up my Serpent 960 tomorrow. Yay, my first 1/8. Been pouring over this thread and many others, and am trying to sort out what motor and battery sizes to use.
I want it to be a pure track car. We have a 1/8 size track that I race 1/10 on. There are no other 1/8e cars, but plenty of Nitro's.
With electric brakes, single speed, no clutch, what would be preferred out of 6S 1700kV or 5S 2050kV? I'm hoping I can raise the top deck to fit a 5S in, otherwise it's twin 3S outriggers, which I don't like the idea of much.
Ideas?
So I picked up the gear today. It's got the 966e conversion set which takes 4 x 1S batteries. Using it with that configuration and, say, a 2200kV motor, would the heat get out of hand? I don't want balls-out speed, just a good fairly quick and driveable car. Don't care if I get pasted on the straight, races are won in the corners
__________________
Agama A8 Evo | GRP .21 | Spektrum | Savox

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #641
Tech Master
 
YoDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lompoc, Ca.
Posts: 1,636
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
So I picked up the gear today. It's got the 966e conversion set which takes 4 x 1S batteries. Using it with that configuration and, say, a 2200kV motor, would the heat get out of hand? I don't want balls-out speed, just a good fairly quick and driveable car. Don't care if I get pasted on the straight, races are won in the corners
That should be a good motor to start with. It will have plenty of torque and you can always gear up a little to get more speed.
I typically run a 2650kv on 4 cells but the 2200kv motor will likely give you more room to tune, not to mention you can run 5 cells when the batteries get better and smaller.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 AM   #642
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 442
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Pete View Post
The car is a Kyosho Evolva M3. The conversion is something simple that I've been working on for about 2 years. It doesn't take much to bolt on.

See this post in this thread:

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car
If I remember, the biggest hurdle you had was getting a 6s square battery made. Is the battery available through a manufacturer yet?

Will
williamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #643
Tech Addict
 
SNR Graphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 586
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamw View Post
If I remember, the biggest hurdle you had was getting a 6s square battery made. Is the battery available through a manufacturer yet?

Will
I am thinking of the same thing. I am going to have to go to saddle packs.
SNR Graphite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #644
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 442
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNR Graphite View Post
I am thinking of the same thing. I am going to have to go to saddle packs.
There is really is no other way to run 6S (with the current shape of batteries.) That's what Motonica did, I don't like the way it looks, but it probably works ok unless you have access to a machine shop. I saw some drawings that changed the layout of an 1/8 4wd car that allowed for a retangular battery to sit in the middle of the chassis. Very cool.
williamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #645
Tech Master
 
YoDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lompoc, Ca.
Posts: 1,636
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
Hi guys, I'm back...

I just thought I'd post some of the latest pictures of the E'volva.
I've made some changes to accommodate the larger, Neu motors.
I will be testing for runtime and working on the setup this weekend so I will post my findings next week.

Sorry if the pictures are a bit small.
This the one?
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-dscn0302comp.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-dscn0303web.jpg  

Last edited by YoDog; 05-05-2011 at 05:56 PM.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTT Nitro onroad 4 electric onroad rswartz R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 02-16-2008 05:22 AM
WTT: 1/10th scale electric offroad for onroad... M2_Driver R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 10-22-2007 06:48 AM
Electric heli and 1/5 scale onroad F/S... Nitrobuzzard R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 08-18-2007 07:41 PM
1/8 electric onroad?? Saber186 Electric On-Road 2 04-22-2006 10:25 AM
I need electric Onroad xxxssportracer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 05-20-2003 04:00 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (0 members and 6 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:46 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net