R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Old 12-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #511
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Wrong...they are the same thing. This configuration already tested/used by mulitple groups of racer here in this thread including East Bay Pete. And Serpent is probably using the exact same 6000mah 7.4V x 2 configureation like he did except Serpent lay them down flat and Pete did the "Tower of Power" style.
I suspect that Serpent is probably using the smaller capacity IP4200 saddlepack...the packs are 8mm shorter than the IP6000:

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=16346

Regarding the overall design, I'm not thrilled with the weight of one of the packs hanging off the side, but I guess if they could balance it out on the other side it would be ok.
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 S6--Track Car#2
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Castle Creations 2650 Combo 6S--Drag Race Car
East Bay Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #512
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Pete View Post
I suspect that Serpent is probably using the smaller capacity IP4200 saddlepack...the packs are 8mm shorter than the IP6000:

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=16346

Regarding the overall design, I'm not thrilled with the weight of one of the packs hanging off the side, but I guess if they could balance it out on the other side it would be ok.
Credit to SERPENT...at least, they started this project as 1 of the big mfr doing this....

Regarding the power that Serpent is using, I will let SERPENT to do the talking and let us know which one they are using and a video showing the actual performance of the car....probably prefer driven by MS himself.

Pete...you did your part already and you knew hows yours handle...it is SERPENT turn to test his and let us know what they are using and hows that work out....I am really looking forward for this and hope Serpent will surprise us.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #513
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Let's bump this thread!
A new season is upon us so let's see more projects a brew'n.
Anyone see the serpent in action yet?
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #514
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hi,
I think this 1/8th brushless concept is fantastic and I take my hat off to you all and your pioneering endeavour...............
Taffyjnr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:51 AM   #515
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

What is the 1/8th On-road race seen like. Over here 1/8th Off-road is just starting to have some interest shown. I'd like to convert a on-road but don't know what chassis's to look at. Any information?
No longer defined as a Off or On-road racer, but simply a RC enthusiast.
WildManDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #516
Tech Champion

Yeah, lets keep this thread up front...what do you guys think about the Motonica line ups? They did a lot...3 platforms. But again, nothing really special...at least SERPENT did something different by using saddle packs, then design a new plate for the batteries layout, speedo layout and looks decent good...

I am not really impress about the Motonica line ups...just want to see the actual run video and to be sold...also, NO SHOCKS on their new line up...really really need to see that in person and try to understand.

SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
Old 02-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #517
Tech Regular

It looks like they took their "limited pan car" design(fuel,2 wheel drive) that is run in Europe and electrified it. I saw a video of those cars running on you tube and they looked pretty good. Don
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #518
Tech Apprentice

Well, here is the latest update on my "eEvolva" conversion...total run time was a little over 10 minutes with motor temps topping out at 138...speed on the straight was average, i.e. equal to nitro, and handling was not bad...just need to finish working on the car setup to improve handling.

Here's the latest video of the car at RAMS driven by Steve Tsuruda:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I should have my next 2 batteries soon, so I can do a fast swap of battery packs and see how the motor temp holds after 15, 20 minutes of driving...Also, I now have a conversion of the M3 so I will have pieces for either an 03-07 Evolva or M3 Evolva.

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 03-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #519
Tech Champion

Quote:
Well, here is the latest update on my "eEvolva" conversion...total run time was a little over 10 minutes with motor temps topping out at 138...speed on the straight was average, i.e. equal to nitro, and handling was not bad...just need to finish working on the car setup to improve handling.

Here's the latest video of the car at RAMS driven by Steve Tsuruda:

I should have my next 2 batteries soon, so I can do a fast swap of battery packs and see how the motor temp holds after 15, 20 minutes of driving...Also, I now have a conversion of the M3 so I will have pieces for either an 03-07 Evolva or M3 Evolva.

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Pete....COME ON...this is a MILE better then your last video. Car is really as quick as the nitro one, alittle loose but that has nothing to do with the BL/Lipo. Keep working on it. 10 minutes run and around 140 motor temp, that is excellent, mine sharing your spec?

My 960 poject started.....waiting for the new Speed Passion Slotless system to come, and will run with the Serpent 966e system with 4S 2500kv motor.

BTW...what is your setup on your E3 from the video? You know the typical question, what motor (kv), speedo and lipo? From your sig, look like it is a Tekin with 4S, true..? My alternative setup is also running Tekin 2050ks system with 6S 5000mah 40C setup (two 3S 5000mah side by side)...

Any pictures of your updated E3..? Please share....and well done.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #520
Tech Champion

966e with Tekin 2650kc 4S 4500 50C Saddle packs system (must be a Venom packs x 2)....to be honest, it is quite GOOD. I think the track is more like a TC track, not prep with the spray, and only ran no more then 3 minutes on the 2nd video when the car is still getting bad on handling...

But overall, I am impress about the TEKIN system with the 4S Saddle packs.l

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

Last edited by Solara; 03-24-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #521
Tech Apprentice

Ok, it's taken me a while to do these pics...many of you have been asking for them and I apologize for not having the time to get these sooner. So, for those that are interested, the setup that I'm running is as follows:

Team Tekin RX8 ESC with T8 sensored 1400 kv buggy motor running on SMC's stellar 50C 6S 4400 mAh custom pack made especially for this project. The Team Tekin motor/ESC combo is EXTREMELY smooth in acceleration at all speeds. As you already know, the motor and ESC are running strong and relatively cool. The battery pack is performing well and I can't thank SMC enough for working with me on this project!

So, now, for the pictures. Pay attention for the following...Air scoop above the motor provides additional cooling (not yet installed on the M3)...Huge 40 mm Novak cooling fan on motor...Custom motor mount utilizes the stock motor mount holes in the chassis...Superb centerline balance with the battery location...Low profile battery pack keeps center of gravity low...Quick-change battery access cover in the body allows for swapping of the battery without removing the body.

Kyosho Evolva 05 and M3

Battery Access Cover-Closed

Battery Access Cover-Open

Battery Compartment

Evolva 05-Battery

Evolva 05-Empty

Evolva 05 Profile

Evolva 05 Gearing

Evolva 05 Left Side

Evolva 05 Left Side-Battery

Evolva M3

Evolva M3 Left Side

Evolva M3 Gearing

Evolva M3 Bottom

So, now that you've seen the cars, what do you think? Who wants one?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #522
wwoodruff

Default Thats looks fantastic!

You have really done your homework and engineered a great looking conversion. Is the SMC battery a stock part #? That looks like it made the whole enchilada work so well.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #523
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

East Bay Pete - What kind of run time are you getting on a single pack? Also with that set-up you have, are quick changes for batteries possible? If you have done quick changes, how long are your pits compared to pitting a nitro car?
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #524
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwoodruff View Post
You have really done your homework and engineered a great looking conversion. Is the SMC battery a stock part #? That looks like it made the whole enchilada work so well.
wwoodruff: Thanks for the compliment...I've really put a lot of time into these designs...going on 2 years now! Wow...hard to believe! The battery is not a stock SMC item. As I said, I've been working with them on this design and, for right now, are available (with some delay) only through me because of the "one-off" nature of this product. If demand should grow, eventually they would start mass-producing a product. As it stands now, I pretty sure I can obtain more packs as needed. I'd like to sell a conversion kit including a battery sometime soon, but I need more interest before I can start making the kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
East Bay Pete - What kind of run time are you getting on a single pack? Also with that set-up you have, are quick changes for batteries possible? If you have done quick changes, how long are your pits compared to pitting a nitro car?
YR4Dude: Run time is just over 10 minutes on a single pack. The battery compartment door is designed for doing a quick change, however a battery change will take right around 10 seconds while a nitro car pits in about 2-3 seconds for fuel only (not including if any needle adjustments need to be made....something not needed with electric!)
Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #525
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Run time is just over 10 minutes on a single pack. The battery compartment door is designed for doing a quick change, however a battery change will take right around 10 seconds while a nitro car pits in about 2-3 seconds for fuel only (not including if any needle adjustments need to be made....something not needed with electric!)
So if you pit at every 10min while a nitro pits about every 5min, are you able to make up that difference in pit time on a 20 -30min main? Does the electric have an edge over nitro in speed coming in and coming out of the turns?
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote