R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Like Tree1Likes

Old 11-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #481
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I dont see why there are not all new designs for 1/8 electric, designing a car for electric off of a nitro design that is been there for years. I would like to see a fresh new car design for electric 1/8 on-road.

ARC, LRP Go Blue!!
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #482
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe64 View Post
I dont see why there are not all new designs for 1/8 electric, designing a car for electric off of a nitro design that is been there for years. I would like to see a fresh new car design for electric 1/8 on-road.
Agreed...

I'm working on it but I need to get the conversions rolling to get things started.
Ultimately I will have a ground up design but i'm waiting to see what Serpent has in the works as I will want to follow suit. i.e. pan car vs suspended, 2wd vs 4wd and so on.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #483
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Yo, I understand but look at 1/8 off-road don't you think a 1/8 scale buggy that looks like a 1/10 4wd off-road electric buggy would look cool. I think the on-road nitro manufactures are following the same formula and that sucks. But I understand that they need to use the exsisting platform for now.

ARC, LRP Go Blue!!
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #484
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Quote:
Yo, I understand but look at 1/8 off-road don't you think a 1/8 scale buggy that looks like a 1/10 4wd off-road electric buggy would look cool. I think the on-road nitro manufactures are following the same formula and that sucks. But I understand that they need to use the exsisting platform for now.
Here is what I am thinking and it is the reason why there are not such thing is 1/8th brushless on road...

1. 1/8th brushless buggy is a direct conversion from their nitro version with less the $100 of parts to convert...however, the same on Serpent Kyosho Mugen platform...it is NOT a direction conversion, the 3 belts design really limited the placement of the batteries and speedo, it is far from a direct conversion, it required someone with some good machine to machine custom parts to make that kinda work...look at all these prototype from this thread. They spend $$$ and hours on those conversion.

2. POWER issue...buggy does not required monster power from batteries, but ON ROAD does...these ppl already have a hard time getting the car ran more then 5 minutes without blowing up motor or speedo. I think it is still in testing condition right now.

3...To design a real brushless used only 1/8th on road, able to fit all the LIPOS, able to run fast and long run time, able to have the 1/8th nitro on road feels and looks...to be honest, I think someone just need to scale up the current 190mm touring car, then adopt the 1/8th nitro on road suspension and tires...the key is, 2 belts. Then it is done...OR, 1/8th scale pan car running 2WD or 4WD like the Kyosho Fantom platform dated in the 80s.

Right now, these ppl (within this thread) were all doing the conversion and have the same goal, trying to keep as much as the original nitro version but powered by brushless motor and lipo...and thats why they have prototype after prototype, testing after testing....but to be honest, if I want to create a new platform for dedicated 1/8th on road...the current nitro version 1/8th platform will NOT be something that is in my mine...

Beside...someone already say it. Nitro on road suppose to be 1 hour long main, 2-speed, big engine and loud noise...someone just like it that way. I don't see there is a market there right now.

Serpent is doing the brushless conversion for 966...will see what that thing look like. However, Serpent do have the fund and manpower to do things like that (ie...Serpent F180 is a good example, cost like $1000 each and only a few ppl want to buy that and afford that). I would think if Serpent do see the interest of 1/8th electric on road, they will definite work on something that is NEW and my guess they will take 1 belt off their 966 and make it electric motor and lipo friendly.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/

Last edited by Solara; 11-18-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #485
Tech Master

Guys, keep in mind that it all comes down to money.
The big companies have a lot invested in the molding of existing parts that have had many years of refinement. In order to do something from scratch everything will need to be machined from metal and carbon and 3D printed plastics. A market will need to be established in order to justify the investment and then the cost reduction can start to work it's way into the designs. Now for me it's a matter of passion and I not only want to design a kit that I can sell but I want something for my own sense of pride. It's been getting more and more difficult to hold races in an ever growing city where people are less tolerant of the sound and smells of nitro cars not to mention some racers feel this way too. Personally I love it but I also like the simplicity of running electric.
There are a few of us that simply want to push the envelope of what can be done with brushless and lipo power systems. Sure the 1/10 mod touring cars are really fast but it's lacking the big track thrill you get from 1/8 scale brute force not to mention that if you hit the boards at those speeds, you're done.

Things are moving along as they typically do, convert an existing design, prove the powertrain, get some exposure and a following, refine the conversion, get more exposure, get interest from a manufacturer, gain validation which will broaden the market, develop a kit, attract competition and then we race as others join the trend. Keep in mind that RC can be very trendy and who knows what will stick. Maybe ROAR will get involved and kill the class just like WGT anyway.

So I guess what I'm saying is be patient, they will evolve in good time unless somebody has a wad of money burning a hole in their pocket and wants to get there faster. Hint, Hint...
Old 11-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #486
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Like this one for example, itīs a pretty young company from France called DXF and this car is named "megatron".
My concerns: the stiff rear axle (they specializes in classis onroad cars), would be great to have full original 1/8 track rear end there with differential ofcourse!
The chassis should be maked out of carbon "i think" but it doesnt work with the rear end, the chassis will be to stiff so they choosed glassfiber...
It is only space for a 4cell battery pack i think, but that mod seems to be pretty simple. they also developed a brushless esc and motor, the motor have 2100kv. For you that have been tested different setups in a 1/8 bl car knows that 4 cell on a 2100 range motor makes the batteries hot...
Not a car for my liking and the vids on youtube with bad drivers dont make it justice, you really cant se how good this car performs or if it performs at all.
I like new thinking though.
tjompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #487
Tech Master

I'm pretty aware of the DXF car. It's actually a conversion of their 2WD nitro car which is pretty nice.
The Megatron has different fiberglass parts but it's basically the same.
The thing I like the most about this car is that it is simple and light but obviously won't perform as well as the 4wd suspension cars. I wish we could get them here however from what I gathered from their website, it will cost somewhere in the $600 range from one of their French dealers, plus shipping!
Old 11-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #488
Tech Adept

Yodog:
Regarding the price, in the latest email that i received from them the price is 600Euro for a car motor and esc.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #489
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjompa View Post
Yodog:
Regarding the price, in the latest email that i received from them the price is 600Euro for a car motor and esc.
I see...

So this will equate to about $800 usd?
I'm not up on the exchange rate but it's still a lot of money for a 2WD pan car, even with the motor and speedo.

That's just the way it goes with low production volume anyway. Not much can be done about that.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #490
Tech Adept

I am looking for a motormount that fits a Serpent 966, is there a good one outhere, i am not afraid of drilling in the chassis either
Please helt me.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #491
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjompa View Post
I am looking for a motormount that fits a Serpent 966, is there a good one outhere, i am not afraid of drilling in the chassis either
Please helt me.
Not 100% sure...but Serpent 960 version from Speed Passion should be the same as 966...I think the best way to check is compare the 960 manuel and 966 mannel and see their nitro engine motor mount are the same # or not..

But if you are willing to drill or enlarge the engine hold, then the Speed Passion one will work for you. Check Schumacher USA or Stormhobbies.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
Old 11-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #492
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Didn't Serpent announce that they have a electric 8th scale on the way? I read the news on RedRC.net and RC Special. I haven't seen any new updates since.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #493
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
Didn't Serpent announce that they have a electric 8th scale on the way? I read the news on RedRC.net and RC Special. I haven't seen any new updates since.
Thats what it said...and we are all waiting for now.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #494
Tech Adept

have any of you considered the LOSI 8 oval car with an electric conversion, I know it's not a pan car, but it could be easily be set up as a touring car, and the benefit of readily available parts at just about any hobby shops that carry losi parts.
rc_racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #495
Tech Rookie

Default Electric Buggy Conversion for Team Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Here is what I am thinking and it is the reason why there are not such thing is 1/8th brushless on road...

1. 1/8th brushless buggy is a direct conversion from their nitro version with less the $100 of parts to convert...however, the same on Serpent Kyosho Mugen platform...it is NOT a direction conversion, the 3 belts design really limited the placement of the batteries and speedo, it is far from a direct conversion, it required someone with some good machine to machine custom parts to make that kinda work...look at all these prototype from this thread. They spend $$$ and hours on those conversion.

2. POWER issue...buggy does not required monster power from batteries, but ON ROAD does...these ppl already have a hard time getting the car ran more then 5 minutes without blowing up motor or speedo. I think it is still in testing condition right now.

3...To design a real brushless used only 1/8th on road, able to fit all the LIPOS, able to run fast and long run time, able to have the 1/8th nitro on road feels and looks...to be honest, I think someone just need to scale up the current 190mm touring car, then adopt the 1/8th nitro on road suspension and tires...the key is, 2 belts. Then it is done...OR, 1/8th scale pan car running 2WD or 4WD like the Kyosho Fantom platform dated in the 80s.

Right now, these ppl (within this thread) were all doing the conversion and have the same goal, trying to keep as much as the original nitro version but powered by brushless motor and lipo...and thats why they have prototype after prototype, testing after testing....but to be honest, if I want to create a new platform for dedicated 1/8th on road...the current nitro version 1/8th platform will NOT be something that is in my mine...

Beside...someone already say it. Nitro on road suppose to be 1 hour long main, 2-speed, big engine and loud noise...someone just like it that way. I don't see there is a market there right now.

Serpent is doing the brushless conversion for 966...will see what that thing look like. However, Serpent do have the fund and manpower to do things like that (ie...Serpent F180 is a good example, cost like $1000 each and only a few ppl want to buy that and afford that). I would think if Serpent do see the interest of 1/8th electric on road, they will definite work on something that is NEW and my guess they will take 1 belt off their 966 and make it electric motor and lipo friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_racer1 View Post
have any of you considered the LOSI 8 oval car with an electric conversion, I know it's not a pan car, but it could be easily be set up as a touring car, and the benefit of readily available parts at just about any hobby shops that carry losi parts.
Has anyone tried the new Novak electric conversion for the Team Magic buggies? Wolf Hobbies has one and I'm thinking of trying it.
rogue5 is offline   Reply With Quote