R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #436
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,483
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Search DLS II on this thread, he posted his Kyosho (car in middle) some pages ago using A123 batteries powered.
Very cool! That would be a blast on an asphalt track.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:30 AM   #437
Tech Adept
 
tjompa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 192
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS II View Post
I believe I can add fuel to this fire. On the left is a 1/8 PAN car. The middle is a 1/8 full IS car. On the right a 200mm 1/10 pan car. Don

Great explanation Don.
tjompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #438
Tech Apprentice
 
East Bay Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 79
Default

More track testing of my Evolva brushless...driving by Jim Adkins...it's a bit long, but I wanted you guys to see that the battery is lasting...in this case there was more run time than my camera's memory card could hold!

RAMS Track Testing

The car ran flawlessly except for the fact that I had forgotten to reattach the rear sway bar before I put it on the track....DOH! Anyways, motor temps, battery temps and esc temps were cool...barely warm.

The new setup fits under a Protoform P909 body and I'm contemplating a "quick change" (5-7 secs?) access in the body for battery swaps...maybe not necessary because it probably won't ever be in a 20-30 minute race (battery times are anywhere from 8 to 10 minutes depending on how hard you can drive), but who knows?

By the way...did anyone catch it in this month's "Reader's Rides" in RC Car Action?
__________________
Losi 8ight 2.0 Tekin 2050 Combo 4S
Ofna Hyper10 SC Mamba Max Pro / Novak 5.5 2S
Kyosho eEvolva M3 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 6S--Track Car
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 S6--Track Car#2
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Castle Creations 2650 Combo 6S--Drag Race Car
East Bay Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #439
Tech Addict
 
js058515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Awesome results EBP! I am glad you are still taking the time to develop your setup. I am sure you are learning a ton of new things with each challenge. The video looked great and the speed down the straight was quick. Keep up the good work.
js058515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #440
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 29
Default

.

Last edited by y7deluxe; 09-09-2009 at 11:55 AM.
y7deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #441
Tech Champion
 
Solara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,080
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Pete View Post
More track testing of my Evolva brushless...driving by Jim Adkins...it's a bit long, but I wanted you guys to see that the battery is lasting...in this case there was more run time than my camera's memory card could hold!

RAMS Track Testing

The car ran flawlessly except for the fact that I had forgotten to reattach the rear sway bar before I put it on the track....DOH! Anyways, motor temps, battery temps and esc temps were cool...barely warm.

The new setup fits under a Protoform P909 body and I'm contemplating a "quick change" (5-7 secs?) access in the body for battery swaps...maybe not necessary because it probably won't ever be in a 20-30 minute race (battery times are anywhere from 8 to 10 minutes depending on how hard you can drive), but who knows?

By the way...did anyone catch it in this month's "Reader's Rides" in RC Car Action?
The car definitely look awesome...however, I really hope your rear sway bar link was the problem about the "handling" issue...it is a torture to see that video with that kinda handling...1/8th car should handle alot better then that especially with the 909 type body...
__________________
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #442
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,625
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y7deluxe View Post
This is my losi l8ight converted to on-road. Specs: 2200kv MMM with castle creations ESC. maxamps.com 14.8v 6500's with 30C discharge. 19/45 gear ratio with the Losi center smart-diff installed. JR DS8711 servo. Ofna 86505 tires.. waiting on the 86509's to get off back order. Lights taken from the Traxxas summit and installed on the l8ight. Top speed: 49mph.
What body is that? Ferrari obviously but, who makes it?
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #443
Tech Addict
 
js058515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX View Post
What body is that? Ferrari obviously but, who makes it?
Kyosho Inferno GT body

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ari-F430-GT-AF
js058515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #444
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,625
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by js058515 View Post
That's awesome dude! Can you post some pics without the body? What all did you need to do to convert....arms, shocks, towers?
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #445
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rantoul,Il
Posts: 424
Default

If you have a 1/8 buggy it really doesn't take that much. Body, body mounts,wheels/tires and shorter shocks for the rear. Here's mine-I'm still working on it. Don
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010001.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010002.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010003.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010004.jpg  
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #446
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 29
Default

.

Last edited by y7deluxe; 09-10-2009 at 03:31 PM.
y7deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #447
Tech Apprentice
 
East Bay Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
The car definitely look awesome...however, I really hope your rear sway bar link was the problem about the "handling" issue...it is a torture to see that video with that kinda handling...1/8th car should handle alot better then that especially with the 909 type body...
Thank you Solara. I also hope I was right about the handling. After attaching it, I drove it (although not at the same skill level by a long shot!) and it definitely seemed to stick a bit better.
__________________
Losi 8ight 2.0 Tekin 2050 Combo 4S
Ofna Hyper10 SC Mamba Max Pro / Novak 5.5 2S
Kyosho eEvolva M3 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 6S--Track Car
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 S6--Track Car#2
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Castle Creations 2650 Combo 6S--Drag Race Car

Last edited by East Bay Pete; 08-31-2009 at 08:36 AM.
East Bay Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #448
Tech Champion
 
Solara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,080
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Pete View Post
Thank you Solara. I also hope I was right about the handling. After attaching it, I drove it (although not at the same skill level by a long shot!) and it definitely seemed to stick a bit better.
Pete...do you mind to give me a measurement about your power source? That 4 cells saddle packs from IB6000....I cannot find any official measurement from anywhere and i would like to do a mock up and test fit it on my Serpent.

Serpent has a disadvantage over Mugen and Kyosho is because there rear radio plate mount also have both side chassis bracing...that took out alot of required space for batteries storage...On my MRX4R, it has more space for battery cause Mugen does not have side bracing.

Also...have you (or others) considered using TEKIN RX8..? How come everyone are using MMM unit..? Isn't it the TEKIN suppose to be better? More efficient especially for 5 or even 6 cells?
__________________
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #449
Tech Apprentice
 
East Bay Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Pete...do you mind to give me a measurement about your power source? That 4 cells saddle packs from IB6000....I cannot find any official measurement from anywhere and i would like to do a mock up and test fit it on my Serpent.

Serpent has a disadvantage over Mugen and Kyosho is because there rear radio plate mount also have both side chassis bracing...that took out alot of required space for batteries storage...On my MRX4R, it has more space for battery cause Mugen does not have side bracing.
Solara, I purchased the packs from RCMushroom:

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=16347

They came fast!

The webpage is a little off on the size. The final size of my pack (6000 mAh) was 92mm x 62mm x 69mm (L x W x H). The 4200 would be 46mm wide instead of 62mm.

Remember that I was using the Lamberto Collari body which you can't really get in the U.S. and it's really expensive to get it from Europe. It won't really fit under the P909 body. I've since moved on to a different pack setup that is still in testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Also...have you (or others) considered using TEKIN RX8..? How come everyone are using MMM unit..? Isn't it the TEKIN suppose to be better? More efficient especially for 5 or even 6 cells?
I have been working on this project for about 14 months now. When I first started, the MMM was still on V2 and Tekin didn't have the RX8 and T8 motors. All of my testing was done with the MMM.

With that said, my latest design is now testing the Tekin combo. The Tekin is sensored so, in theory, it might be smoother than the MMM although the latest firmware for the MMM has REALLY helped smooth out lower power and the throttle curve in general. The MMM has the ability to customize the throttle curve to whatever shape you want. The Tekin only has 7 preset curves, although rumor has it that they are working on software for a custom curve feature like the MMM.

Tekin has had some issues with the RX8; I know from first hand experience in my buggy, but I think they have solved that problem. So, I'm excited to test it out in my project. As for being more efficient, I wouldn't necessarily say that. Running higher cell counts will be more efficient on the motor...higher volts = lower amps. The motor will run cooler and for longer times on a pack. The RX8 is a bit smaller and fits nicely under my P909 body.
__________________
Losi 8ight 2.0 Tekin 2050 Combo 4S
Ofna Hyper10 SC Mamba Max Pro / Novak 5.5 2S
Kyosho eEvolva M3 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 6S--Track Car
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 S6--Track Car#2
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Castle Creations 2650 Combo 6S--Drag Race Car
East Bay Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #450
Tech Elite
 
MAD916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Center Seca
Posts: 3,117
Default

the RX8 and steve nue 1515 motor powered our E-mugen to a win over the Kyosho driven by Scott at our TZGP. it was a battle of run time. Scott and Rich's car handeled a bit better but we had a bit more top speed and 1:30 more run time. working with Danny on a pack that will hopefully provide 10 min run time.
__________________
Timezone Raceway Park " on-road outdoor european style road course.
Timezone II 60'x100' indoor carpet track. Host of the ROAR 2011 Carpet Nat's.
Timezonehobbies.com your new source for online RC products.
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTT Nitro onroad 4 electric onroad rswartz R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 02-16-2008 05:22 AM
WTT: 1/10th scale electric offroad for onroad... M2_Driver R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 10-22-2007 06:48 AM
Electric heli and 1/5 scale onroad F/S... Nitrobuzzard R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 08-18-2007 07:41 PM
1/8 electric onroad?? Saber186 Electric On-Road 2 04-22-2006 10:25 AM
I need electric Onroad xxxssportracer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 05-20-2003 04:00 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (0 members and 7 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:38 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net