R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Like Tree1Likes

Old 04-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #31
Tech Regular

I agree, I built my pan car to see if I could do it. I would like to convert a Serpent or Mugen and use lipos,10-12XL brushless- however for me it will take awhile to get all the goods together.(cost) The real challenge would be to go as fast as the gas cars. The can/am bodies are old, but they work rather nicely. In addition a quick change pack might be in order, if the gas guys will let electrics compete. Last thing I knew mains were at least 1 hour long. Don
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #32
Tech Regular

I'm really interested in this topic, racing both electric (during the winter) and gas cars (during the summer)... I believe the latest technology (lipo & Brushless) can definitely "bridge" the gas scene now, and become an gateway for all the electric drivers not wanting to "tune" gas motors, which I see as one of the drawbacks to 1/8th Nitro for newbee's.

Imagine the lower cost too? One brushless motor, and a set of lipo's as effective as a single 1/8th .21 Mod motor with all the power and likely lowered weight too? Also, it would eliminate "noise" from racers reducing compliants from nearby neighborhoods etc..

I think there is a long list of "Pro's" for an electric 1/8th with very few drawbacks. And for run time, our gas cars have to pit (refuel) every 5 minutes, a lipo car equiped with a "cordless drill" type lipo battery cartridge could run 15 minutes pull into the pits and swap out the catridge and run another 15 minutes. Literally 4 pits an hour instead of our normal 11 today?

I see this as a very strong future for 1/8th on-road. The same performance with reduced long-term cost no noise, no pollution and no headache from tuning a nitro motor? This to me sounds like the next step after Personal Transponders and DSM.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There have been 1/8th electric cars out for years. They never caught on and were discontinued.Maybe this time but I doubt if they will become popular?
WGT-R, GT Racing USA (17.5 foam), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darint
I'm really interested in this topic, racing both electric (during the winter) and gas cars (during the summer)... I believe the latest technology (lipo & Brushless) can definitely "bridge" the gas scene now, and become an gateway for all the electric drivers not wanting to "tune" gas motors, which I see as one of the drawbacks to 1/8th Nitro for newbee's.

Imagine the lower cost too? One brushless motor, and a set of lipo's as effective as a single 1/8th .21 Mod motor with all the power and likely lowered weight too? Also, it would eliminate "noise" from racers reducing compliants from nearby neighborhoods etc..

I think there is a long list of "Pro's" for an electric 1/8th with very few drawbacks. And for run time, our gas cars have to pit (refuel) every 5 minutes, a lipo car equiped with a "cordless drill" type lipo battery cartridge could run 15 minutes pull into the pits and swap out the catridge and run another 15 minutes. Literally 4 pits an hour instead of our normal 11 today?

I see this as a very strong future for 1/8th on-road. The same performance with reduced long-term cost no noise, no pollution and no headache from tuning a nitro motor? This to me sounds like the next step after Personal Transponders and DSM.
Darin....can you imagine a 1/8th on road 4WD powered by brushless and Lipo and running @ Hamilton will be? If you asked me 2-3 years ago, I would say no way.........but with the hugh development of Brushless motor and Li-po, I would say even with the top end nitro 21 engine, these brushless/lipo combo can reach the speed of 21 engine in no time........

I still believe to get the 1/8th electric on-road going...direct drive 4WD is the best way to go....it gives plenty of room for 8 cells or 3 cells li-po, ESC receiver and servo....car will be super light weight compare to Nitro 1/8th on road, less parts to worry, and less adjustment or maintenance.......compare to converting the current Serpent, Kyosho, Mugen to Electric....at least, I think having 2-speed gearbox for electric motor is not necessary.......we just need FOAM TIRES.

For those who are old enough....ABC, Kyosho Fantom/Plazma series, Hirobo, Delta, AYK....they all have 4WD pan car in 1/12th scale way back.......apply those design onto the current 12th scale pan car....add the 1/8th on road car wheel adaptor (very easy to do for those who has CNC machine).....chassis need to be wider and longer, and that is DONE.

BTW...the HPI Super Electric is oversized 1/10th TC...shorter and narrower then typical 1/8th on road Nitro car....very close to 1/10th 235mm.

SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In my mind, I thought, as the world's population continued to grow, that space would become even more tight, therefore the RC industry would grow towards the smaller scales. The tracks could be smaller and less expensive. Although there has been a increase is smaller scales, it's been due to smaller electronics technology, not necessarily due to a lack of spaces to race.

But now, due to the brushless motors cranking out so much efficient power, we are starting to see growth in the larger scales as well. Electric planes have grown in size due to Lipo and brushless. I wouldn't doubt that we see continued larger scale growth since electric power is so good now.

As a 1/12th scaler, I know how a slightly larger 1/10th scale can handle bumps and imperfections in the track better. The set up has to be more perfect on a 1/12th scale. I can only imagine how nice it would be to run a 1/8th scale in a parking lot. Plenty of room for ground clearance.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Duralite has an ad in the latest Xtreme with an electrified 1/8th on road car.

Hmm...3hp to 4hp 1512 Series motors from Steve Neu, 10,000Mah Maxx Amps cells....How long before we can run an hour non stop at speeds higher than any 1/8th Nitro Sedan?
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:54 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Jim, I saw these guys las year at the WRAM show and they claimed the car could do 90 MPH. They used the Mugen MRX-3 chassis. Looks like it could be alot of fun.
Dreddlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #38
Tech Regular

Oh and don't forget maintenance/cleaning. With my electric car (no oily fuel residue), it's blow the car off with an air compressor and you're done!

With the fuel cars, all the oily residue mixes with any dirt and you're done an hour or more depending on how clean you want it!

Gotta love the idea of all the bang (speed and power), lower priced, easier to tune and lower maintenance!

I just think it's the first time the "practical" technology has arrived with Brushless motors able to create the horsepower, and the Lipo's with enough energy and light enough that the potential for a competitive electric car has arrived.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

John Stranahan's 1/10th scale wide Pan car is almost as fast as a 1/8th car now. It seems to be a quite a bit faster than a 1/10th nitro sedan (maybe comparable to an outlaw car). On top of that he gets like 20+ minutes of run time. That car is really impressive. It simply never stops accelerating down the straightaway.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #40
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6281

Somebody here converted a serpent 1/8th scale into electric

Sponsors: Gizmo Racing USA | Reflex Racing | PROTOform | AVID Racing Concepts | Marka Racing | YBS RC | 2mm Designs
atxgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #41
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Raydee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush
John Stranahan's 1/10th scale wide Pan car is almost as fast as a 1/8th car now. It seems to be a quite a bit faster than a 1/10th nitro sedan (maybe comparable to an outlaw car). On top of that he gets like 20+ minutes of run time. That car is really impressive. It simply never stops accelerating down the straightaway.
Yeah John's car is awesome BUT its a pan car and I am looking for a 4wd road car. I am now leaning on a Serpent Impulse of maybe another 235mm 4wd car to convert over to electric. If that pans out nice then a 1/8th scale will be next.
Raydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #42
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 178 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush
thas so far from a pan car once he change the suspension if you want be faster than a 1/8th scale just stick a novak 3.5 with 6 cells in a 12L3 and hang on!!!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

tag for later.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

A friend of mine had an old 1/10 pan car a few years ago with 3300GPs and a 10 turn. At his track, it was faster than the 1/8 cars. I have no doubt an electric 1/8 pan car (giant 10L) or 1/8 Stranahan-style car would be absolutely awesome with 6 cells and a brushless motor on an 1/8 size track. You could put some mad gear on that thing...

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #45
Tech Regular

It would be nice to get mine to a track- on 8 cells that AFI 4t does go! Don
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote