R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Like Tree1Likes

Old 06-02-2009, 04:46 AM   #331
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivionixx View Post
Just feel curious is there gonna be some conversion kits for any 1/10 nitro car like V-one RRR lol?
Umm... Why would you want to convert something into another that already exists? Wouldn't it be simpler to just get an electric T/C? Common man!
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:42 AM   #332
Tech Elite

Hey Rich: We met down at the reedy race. bring that thing up here with you in July and let's have a demo race..... we are calling you out. just got all the telemetery on last night on our MRX3 conversion, got shut down by a T-storm last night but are ready to roll.

Nice to meet you down there and like I said we will treat you, Scott and anyone eles that comes up like kings.

Mark TZR

will post flyer for race later today, good luck at 301
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-ariel_phototz.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-tz1_big.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2009 Timezone Gran Prix Entry Form.pdf (218.9 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by MAD916; 06-02-2009 at 09:17 AM.
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #333
Tech Master

Default Moved from the Capitol Classic Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBlazin View Post
what kinda runtime can be expected? they look just as fast on-line, if not FASTER!

They are quick! Rick, running the car at 301 said he has had a lot of folks checking the eM3 out.

The cars are running at 710 Mah per minute. We, currently, have a 4000 mah pack in the car - should give us 5 minute 30 second. When you have that amount of current draw - the voltage drop challenges the speed controllers BEC. Causing what seem to be radio issues - the issue is indeed voltage too low to the receiver. We are working on solutions to that issue.

The crew at Thunder Power has been terrific in overseeing our progress. We run their batteries in our eMP9 project with fabulous success. Damn good folks with damn good batteries.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #334
Tech Master

Motor home is rented - we will be there, should roll in Thursday 6:ish

Looking forward to it - new track for us - looks great!

I'll have an eM3 with me, too. Can we run the TOP Photon in 1/10th?

Out Telemetry is called Scott Kimbrow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
Hey Rich: We met down at the reedy race. bring that thing up here with you in July and let's have a demo race..... we are calling you out. just got all the telemetery on last night on our MRX3 conversion, got shut down by a T-storm last night but are ready to roll.

Nice to meet you down there and like I said we will treat you, Scott and anyone eles that comes up like kings.

Mark TZR

will post flyer for race later today, good luck at 301
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #335
Tech Apprentice

I've done a conversion of a Kyosho Evolva 2005. I had tried to post a nice description of the car on here with pictures, but unfortunately since this is my first post, I can't post any messages with a URL in it, which means I can't load the pictures I have in my online photo account. So, as soon as I can, I'll post my complete description of the car.
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Tekin T8 / Tekin RX8 S6--Track Car#2
Kyosho eEvolva 05 Castle Creations 2650 Combo 6S--Drag Race Car
East Bay Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #336
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Pete View Post
I've done a conversion of a Kyosho Evolva 2005. I had tried to post a nice description of the car on here with pictures, but unfortunately since this is my first post, I can't post any messages with a URL in it, which means I can't load the pictures I have in my online photo account. So, as soon as I can, I'll post my complete description of the car.
Hey Pete, glad to see you made it here!

You should be able to upload some pics directly or use the service suggested at the top of the for sale threads.
Photobucket I believe.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #337
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
Hey Pete, glad to see you made it here!

You should be able to upload some pics directly or use the service suggested at the top of the for sale threads.
Photobucket I believe.
Hi Rick...thanks for the welcome!

I would have uploaded pics directly, but I was in a hurry and the problem is that the pics are stored in my online account and I couldn't take the time to figure out how to download those BACK to my computer so I could upload them here. (Also, I wanted to incorporate that speed run I have posted on YouTube as well.)

I don't know how many posts I have to make before I can post a URL...hopefully it isn't many, although I can always try to get the pics back to my computer and upload directly.

RAMS is running 1/8 scale again on June 14 according to the schedule. Do you think you might be there?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #338
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi Rick...thanks for the welcome!

I would have uploaded pics directly, but I was in a hurry and the problem is that the pics are stored in my online account and I couldn't take the time to figure out how to download those BACK to my computer so I could upload them here. (Also, I wanted to incorporate that speed run I have posted on YouTube as well.)

I don't know how many posts I have to make before I can post a URL...hopefully it isn't many, although I can always try to get the pics back to my computer and upload directly.

RAMS is running 1/8 scale again on June 14 according to the schedule. Do you think you might be there?
Pete,
I shot you an email earlier in the week.
I'm afraid I'll be out of town for business that weekend.
July should be good though...
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #339
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
Pete,
I shot you an email earlier in the week.
I'm afraid I'll be out of town for business that weekend.
July should be good though...
I got that email...I know how it is trying to get ready for the next day's racing! Too bad you won't be there on the 14th, but it sounds like with the water jet issues you wouldn't have yours ready to test yet anyways.

So, this is my 3rd post...how many more do you think I need before I can embed a URL?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #340
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

anyone know where i can get a motor mount for my serpent Vector I'd like to go brushless with it.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #341
Tech Apprentice

Well, the idea for this car started about 1 year ago when I saw Rick Yoder's conversion on YouTube. The catalyst for this project came from my desire to compete with some guys in my area that drag race 1/8th scales in a huge parking lot. I figured that the car would probably never make it to an on-road track due to its configuration, but as time went by and the car proved to be successful (performance-wise and durabilty-wise) in the drag racing mode, I got the urge to see what it could do on a track. That urge was partly satisfied this past weekend at RAMS in Santa Clara. The day was full of nervous anticipation as this would be the first track test of the car as well as my own first track test of my on-road driving skills.

So, here is the makeup of the car: Chassis--Kyosho Evolva 05, Motor: Castle Creations 2650, Battery: Zippy 30C 6S 5000 mAh. You will see that I am running the 2-speed transmission and the mechanical brake. My original plan was to come up with a novel way of replacing the nitro motor with electic while still maintaining as much of the original car as possible. Therefore, I wanted to keep the 2-speed (necessary with electric?? maybe not...I'm not really sure) which necessitated that I keep the mechanical brake. One advantage to this might be battery run time since I'm not using the motor to slow the car, which was important for drag racing, but probably not so much for track racing.

I don't have exact data but as I recall these are the numbers I was seeing:
Motor Temp: 142-145, ESC Temp: 130ish, Battery: unknown but not overly hot. I don't have an exact run-time or number of laps, but my guess is 20 laps with 36% still to go on the battery (according to my Cell Meter-8). Unfortunately, I was concentrating on getting around the track without crashing and checking temps than I was on keeping track of run-time.

I can tell you that with the 2650 on 6S, keeping up with the nitros on the straight was not a problem. (The biggest limiting factor was my driving skill!) Overall, the car handled better than expected and I think if it had properly trued tires it would have performed even better (the back end was a bit loose).

The first and second pictures below are the car that was run on the track. Notice the Castle 2650. Also, in this picture, the motor pinion gear was a lot larger than the one I ran on the track (30 tooth) and the corresponding spur gear was a lot smaller than the one I ran on the track (38 tooth).

The 3rd and 4th pictures are the car that I use for drag racing. This car has slightly faster gearing and a Neu 1512 2550 motor on 6S. This car reached 89MPH in about 300 feet, but I think it was still climbing.

The next step will be to get a better setup on the car (trued tires) and head back to the track and get confirmed run times on the battery and double-check temps. Kevin from NorCal Hobby has graciously (!) offered to be my test driver this time. I would hope I can get video to post on YouTube (but I can't forget to keep track of the stats!)
Attached Thumbnails
Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-d-cimg0150-%5B25%25%5D.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-cimg0154-%5B25%25%5D.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-cimg0450-%5B25%25%5D.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-cimg0451-%5B25%25%5D.jpg  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #342
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Well, the idea for this car started about 1 year ago when I saw Rick Yoder's conversion on YouTube. The catalyst for this project came from my desire to compete with some guys in my area that drag race 1/8th scales in a huge parking lot. I figured that the car would probably never make it to an on-road track due to its configuration, but as time went by and the car proved to be successful (performance-wise and durabilty-wise) in the drag racing mode, I got the urge to see what it could do on a track. That urge was partly satisfied this past weekend at RAMS in Santa Clara. The day was full of nervous anticipation as this would be the first track test of the car as well as my own first track test of my on-road driving skills.

So, here is the makeup of the car: Chassis--Kyosho Evolva 05, Motor: Castle Creations 2650, Battery: Zippy 30C 6S 5000 mAh. You will see that I am running the 2-speed transmission and the mechanical brake. My original plan was to come up with a novel way of replacing the nitro motor with electic while still maintaining as much of the original car as possible. Therefore, I wanted to keep the 2-speed (necessary with electric?? maybe not...I'm not really sure) which necessitated that I keep the mechanical brake. One advantage to this might be battery run time since I'm not using the motor to slow the car, which was important for drag racing, but probably not so much for track racing.

Motor Temp: 142-145, ESC Temp: 130ish, Battery: unknown but not overly hot. I don't have an exact run-time or number of laps, but my guess is 20 laps with 36% still to go on the battery (according to my Cell Meter-8). Unfortunately, I was concentrating on getting around the track without crashing and checking temps than I was on keeping track of run-time.

I can tell you that with the 2650 on 6S, keeping up with the nitros on the straight was not a problem. (The biggest limiting factor was my driving skill!) Overall, the car handled better than expected and I think if it had properly trued tires it would have performed even better (the back end was a bit loose).

The first and second pictures below are the car that was run on the track. Notice the Castle 2650. Also, in this picture, the motor pinion gear was a lot larger than the one I ran on the track (30 tooth) and the corresponding spur gear was a lot smaller than the one I ran on the track (38 tooth).

The 3rd and 4th pictures are the car that I use for drag racing. This car has slightly faster gearing and a Neu 1512 2550 motor on 6S. This car reached 89MPH in about 300 feet, but I think it was still climbing.

The next step will be to get a better setup on the car (trued tires) and head back to the track and get confirmed run times on the battery and double-check temps. Kevin from NorCal Hobby has graciously (!) offered to be my test driver this time. I would hope I can get video to post on YouTube (but I can't forget to keep track of the stats!)
Nice...I'm about ready to order a conversion kit from you when available!
I sent you a PM about your setup.
Where did you get all the mounts and brackets machined?
Mind speaking about the cost for just the customized parts?
I love my regular M3 but am interested in an eM3
Old 06-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #343
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:

Thats pretty slick there man!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #344
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Great conversion....but 1 question, why the extra gearing? More torque? Isn't it easier just made a motor mount, leave the 2-speed and go direct with single speed and bypass all those gearing and bridge...

Just want to know the design behind it...must be something I don't know.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #345
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Great conversion....but 1 question, why the extra gearing? More torque? Isn't it easier just made a motor mount, leave the 2-speed and go direct with single speed and bypass all those gearing and bridge...

Just want to know the design behind it...must be something I don't know.
He gains the mechanical advantage of the 2 speed but most of all he didn't have to change the car at all. Only add the brushless setup. Nicely done!