Old 05-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just the facts Ma'm
Old 05-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
As far as speed goes you may be right but I highly doubt that your "buggy conversion" could hold a candle to a PROPER 1/8th car.
And for the size of it you may want to check out the actual size of said car . Lola's are quite small in comparison to a rally car or sedan.
We all know what we are talking about (1/8th Lola Type On road with rear floating suspension on road car) and he is still talking about his super dooper fast brushless buggy conversion DM1 that can only do DRAG RACING...so, let him keep talking his super dooper fast DM1 and we keep our talk on 1/8th not so BUGGY look alike on road car....LOL

I would love to see a DM1 won the IFMAR 1/8th On Road Championship 1 day...

Originally Posted by YoDog
Ok guys,
this thread was not meant to create a debate over what qualifies as an 1/8 on road car. Those in the know will always prevail on the track. At this point, there's no point is a pissing match when we are so lucky to have the few of us that love larger scale on road racing. (Meaning not 1/10th or 1/12th that dominate the market). Let's all be thankful that we have each other to bounce ideas off of and enjoy the passion that we have for this hobby.
I just hope that someday, hopefully soon, we will have the opportunity to talk smack and rib each other as to who has the best car on the track. But till then, lets agree to keep things positive so that we can see a plethora of ideas and conversions to be shared a discussed on this thread.

Agreed?

P.S. I think my car will smoke them all or at least SMOKE!
I have tried, but someone just would not let go about Tom Cruise and the Buggy conversion....anyhow, I would love to see yours and the Empire (and the others that I did not mention) keep smoking the nitro...I meant smoke them, not the other way pertaining to the brushless motor with lipo failture kinda smoke...LOL
Old 05-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tjompa
Hi everyone!
I also wanted a 1/8 track brushless racer so i decided to build it myself.
It was pretty easy after all with some help from some friends.
Spec:
Kyosho evolva 05
Desirepower lipo´s 2*3s
Neu/mamba 2200kv motor.
Mamba monster max.
The battery holder is made out of carbon that a friend has laminated.
I have build this car for tracks and not for top speed but it went pretty fast anyway.
I think 1/8 track bl is the baddest car i ever drove, this is a sick monster.
//Tomas
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvBKtGA8NBM
That is some serious speed...well done. But let me ask again...it is powered by (2) 3S 5000 lipo..? so, it is powered by 22.2V? Do you have any problem with the Mamba Speedo...? I did not know MMM can handle more then 4S...

You should try this at the 1/8th on road track and compare with the nitro 1/8th cars...that is probably the 1st thing I would do once I have mine finish...without running against the nitro car, I would never know how much VOLTAGE I would need in order to keep up with the Nova Rossi...

I am pretty convinced that 6S will take care of the speed very easily (from your video) however, not so convinced about the handling (due to weight).

What is the run time of your 6S?
Old 05-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

Hey guys, the E'volva chassis is almost done!

I'll be finishing the bottom side on Monday and then it's off for anodizing.
Wow....envy you with your CNC machine...I wish I have one of those or know someone has one. Can you do 1 for Serpent....

Well done...go get the "high belt" conversion done and shoot the video. However, if I do have the tools and skills (running CNC machine) like you...may be you can do the current "TC" car setup, running some big motor bulkhead and run 2 belts instead of 3...since you are the one doing this 1/8th on road "ground up".....just an idea. May be that is already in your "Phase III" project book....
Old 05-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The guys from Superior hobbies just did a serpent 1/8th scale electric
Old 05-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Ok guys,
this thread was not meant to create a debate over what qualifies as an 1/8 on road car. Those in the know will always prevail on the track. At this point, there's no point is a pissing match when we are so lucky to have the few of us that love larger scale on road racing. (Meaning not 1/10th or 1/12th that dominate the market). Let's all be thankful that we have each other to bounce ideas off of and enjoy the passion that we have for this hobby.
I just hope that someday, hopefully soon, we will have the opportunity to talk smack and rib each other as to who has the best car on the track. But till then, lets agree to keep things positive so that we can see a plethora of ideas and conversions to be shared a discussed on this thread.

Agreed?

P.S. I think my car will smoke them all or at least SMOKE!
+1

Solara, MMM can handle up to 6S. I've read in some buggy conversions where the MMM has failed on 6S due to low quality batteries. The MMM can handled the power and wants the power, its the batteries that can't provide the power fast enough. It usually heats up the capacitor and pop.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thisguy2849
The guys from Superior hobbies just did a serpent 1/8th scale electric
Any pics yet?
I'd love to get them to join our little thread.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Solara
That is some serious speed...well done. But let me ask again...it is powered by (2) 3S 5000 lipo..? so, it is powered by 22.2V? Do you have any problem with the Mamba Speedo...? I did not know MMM can handle more then 4S...

You should try this at the 1/8th on road track and compare with the nitro 1/8th cars...that is probably the 1st thing I would do once I have mine finish...without running against the nitro car, I would never know how much VOLTAGE I would need in order to keep up with the Nova Rossi...

I am pretty convinced that 6S will take care of the speed very easily (from your video) however, not so convinced about the handling (due to weight).

What is the run time of your 6S?
Hi there!
It is pwered by 2 desirepower 3s lipo on 3700mah so 22.2volt is correct.
The mambamonstermax can handle 6s lipo and "maybe" more...no thermal problem what so ever.
Next weekend i will go to the biggest onroad track here i Sweden to try it out, it was build for tracks and not roads, so a little movie will arrive shortly.
I have drove her at 124km/h easily and for you dudes over there it is approx 80mph, and this is a tracksetup.
The weight is under 3kilograms.
Runtime has not been checked yet but on 3700mah approx 8-10minutes.
I also have two new 2s lipo from lrp on 5300mah to try if i think the car is overpowered.
Cheers!
//Tomas
Old 05-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Solara
Wow....envy you with your CNC machine...I wish I have one of those or know someone has one. Can you do 1 for Serpent....

Well done...go get the "high belt" conversion done and shoot the video. However, if I do have the tools and skills (running CNC machine) like you...may be you can do the current "TC" car setup, running some big motor bulkhead and run 2 belts instead of 3...since you are the one doing this 1/8th on road "ground up".....just an idea. May be that is already in your "Phase III" project book....
I'm starting with the conventional belt layout first off then I may change things around to the alternative belt design.
I'd like to do a 2 belt design but the gear ratio needs to be worked out.
I need to find a larger front axle pulley and adapt it to a oneway. Probably build one from scratch. One of the issues is that the tires are staggared and the rear pulley is pretty big, like 48 tooth for the Kyosho. We need to spin the front wheels a little faster than the rear since they are usually cut about 7mm shorter not to mention overdrive.

I gotta tell you, I am really getting the itch to build a pan car chassis. Kind of a cross between the CRC Gen X 10 and the DXF Megatron because conversions may be a bit limited from a business standpoint. I feel that it would be more likely that a racer would prefer to buy and build a purposefully designed car rather than get a gas car and sink another $500 bucks into it to convert it to electric when the pan car solution would be much more affordable and efficient.
A 2 belt design would be great but it would take a lot more "NEW" parts to make it happen, cleanly.

We will see how they evolve over the next couple of years. Hopefully if some big manufactures get involved we will see some of these things happen due to competition.

It's very good to have access to a CNC mill but It's difficult to squeeze these little side jobs in when the machine and operator is usually very busy. I've been waiting about a month to get the chassis cut. It's finally getting done but I think I may need to outsource a few other parts just to get them done sooner. It's going to cost $$ though.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:36 AM
Tech Regular

It would be very nice to have a rear ball diff!! Not having a diff in the rear is nonsense IMHO. All the car does is eat tires. Someone said IIRC that not having a rear diff is in the rules. If so, who proposed that-a tire manufacturer? Don
Old 05-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DLS II
It would be very nice to have a rear ball diff!! Not having a diff in the rear is nonsense IMHO. All the car does is eat tires. Someone said IIRC that not having a rear diff is in the rules. If so, who proposed that-a tire manufacturer? Don
If you are referring to a Evolva type car ...
Thats what you need to make the car turn. If you had a diff in the rear, the car would most likely not want to turn... Believe it of not.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DLS II
I think you are talking about the pan car right?
I actually have a belt driven serpent pro ball diff from the 2wd days. It's pretty sweet.
If I decide to go with a direct drive "pod" style, I may need to fabricate a diff that can hold up to the added weight and power.
I'll post a pic of the pro diff later...
Old 05-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

I have a 1/8 pan car with a ball diff. I was referring to my Evolva or any 1/8 4WD road car. I know on another forum(RC Monster) a gentleman by the name of Serum converted a Serpent and equipped it with a rear ball diff and it worked fine. Why would it not turn with a rear ball diff? With a solid rear end you're not turning as much as you're sliding. Don
Old 05-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I was looking into the DXF cars and came across this on thier website:

http://www.dxf-competition.com/pdf/dxf_9550_301107.pdf

Its a 3d model that you can hide/show parts just like any other 3d modeling software (Solidworks/ProE).

I dissected the model and it shows that theres a rear gear diff. The only thing that confuses me is there is no suspension. Do these 2wd pancars rely just on chassis flex as thier suspension? I know on electric pancars theres usually a movable pod in the rear and some sort of simple suspension in the front hubs but it doesnt seem thats the case with the DXF.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

Here's the one I built. Don
Attached Thumbnails Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010025.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010027.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-p1010023.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.