R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #196
Tech Elite
 
dangerwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbt3 View Post
Majority of the drivetrain on the DM-1 is from the Jammin X1 buggy......
Buggy style clutch vs. Centax style clutch
17mm hexes vs. quick change wheel axles
buggy style/size wheels vs. quick change foam tires
silicone filled diffs vs. solid rear axle/one way

I do own a DM-1 Spec and I would say its a stretched out buggy with lay down shocks.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program:

eM3 looks awesome, as are all the electric conversions so far.
Now who has an eMRX4 in the works?
Is that right smart guy? Schedule this and get a clue . . . there is no clutch on my conversions. I run spiders and who in this world would run foams with brushless anyway? Let alone silicone center filled diff?
__________________
-------------------------
Losi 8ight 2.0 EP - MMM & Tekin 1900Kv
Losi 8ight-T 2.0 EP - MMM & Tekin 1550Kv
Durango DEX410 - Orion R10 Pro & 8.5T
TLR 22 - Orion R10 Pro & 13.5T
dangerwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #197
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
At this time...I kinda confused between Rich, Rick and the other Rick...also confused whos mugen and whos Kyosho.... ? No matter whos whos and whats whats...you guys did a great job to showing ppl like me about this conversion and the theory between brushless motor, lipo and WEIGHT....

I have searched online for the size of lipo batteries...unless you have some kinda "connection" with these batteries people...I just cannot find any 4S2P, 4000mah 25C or better single pack battery that is less then 110mm in lenght, not to mention...need to fit within 32mm "stock" radio deck to chassis slot (thickness)...almost none. (closest I can find is from Rhino...130mmx36mmx50mm)


Guys...keep this project going, summer is not even started yet...
Okay, here goes.

We are all Empire Racers (Kyosho platforms):

Rick Davis (Detroit eM3): Toledo, Ohio. He is running his design now. Existing chassis. Modified radio tray (photos below). Battery is 34mm X 98mm X 64mm. 4200HV 4S2P 14.8V readily commercially available no "inside" tricks on supply.

Rick Yoder (Fresno eM3): Fresno, California. This design is planned to be done end of this month. More radical design requiring new chassis and radio tray. Built to accept a longer, sub C, spec size LiPo battery.

Rich Browne (Me): I'm the "clearing point" for Empire. Basically I do the majority of the talking.

Scott Kimbrow: Driver par excellance - no needed comment about this guy - sic skills.

Jim Adkins: Wrench, Driver all round good guy.

So there ya have it. Empire and the story of the Rich/Ricks. Yup, we're diggin' the LiPo thing (yes Jim, you too). Still, you can't take the nitro out of us - sorry. By the way it seems Empire has swollen to 10 or 15 guys.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #198
Tech Master
 
YoDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lompoc, Ca.
Posts: 1,638
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
On the Detroit eM3 there is room to increase the thickness of the battery. The length and width are maxed out. So, we go vertical.

The Fresno eM3, only briefly mentioned here, still in construction, makes extensive changes to the car - This Rick Yoder designed platform is focused on allowing more battery length. I don't want to rain on Rick Yoder's parade - he needs to let me know if additional comments are okay-

It would be awesome to demo either of these cars at the Capitol Classic. Yes, Scott, I'm sure you'll be the wheelmeister.

It's all good Rich...
As a matter of fact I already posted some views of the solidworks models earlier in this tread.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #199
Tech Master
 
YoDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lompoc, Ca.
Posts: 1,638
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
Okay, here goes.

We are all Empire Racers (Kyosho platforms):

Rick Davis (Detroit eM3): Toledo, Ohio. He is running his design now. Existing chassis. Modified radio tray (photos below). Battery is 34mm X 98mm X 64mm. 4200HV 4S2P 14.8V readily commercially available no "inside" tricks on supply.

Rick Yoder (Fresno eM3): Fresno, California. This design is planned to be done end of this month. More radical design requiring new chassis and radio tray. Built to accept a longer, sub C, spec size LiPo battery.

Rich Browne (Me): I'm the "clearing point" for Empire. Basically I do the majority of the talking.

Scott Kimbrow: Driver par excellance - no needed comment about this guy - sic skills.

Jim Adkins: Wrench, Driver all round good guy.

So there ya have it. Empire and the story of the Rich/Ricks. Yup, we're diggin' the LiPo thing (yes Jim, you too). Still, you can't take the nitro out of us - sorry. By the way it seems Empire has swollen to 10 or 15 guys.
I thought I'd add that I also did the MRX3 last year (the youtube one)that kinda started the bug for us at Empire. That car has been parted out so that the superior handling of the kyosho can live-on this year. As I stated earlier, we learned a lot about the potential and limitations of making a brushless 1/8 onroad car from the Mugen and now we can take it to the next step with Kyosho.
As the batteries and car designs evolva, we will get to the performance goals we seek.

Oh yeah, SMC will soon be coming out with a 5400mah 40c 4s pack that should fit perfectly in the design I am working on. It's 133mm X 46mm X 46mm They now also have a 9000mah 2s pack that's not much bigger than their 6000mah pack, too bad it's 165mm long.

Fresno Rick
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #200
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

8 min heat races and mains should be long enough.
If you can keep the discharge under 80% capacity you've got it made!
__________________
Pro-Line Racing , Boca Bearings , Competition Heat.
Team Durango DEX210, DEX410V3, DESC410R, DNX408
Futaba FAAST 2.4 4PkS, LRP, Tekin, Xcellorin
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #201
wwoodruff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
Here is the Empire eM3. Very promising. Wiring and layout still to be refined - don't worry, it will be RC art when done. Based upon our success with our eMP9 (Kyosho's 1/8th scale off-road).

Empire is
Mastery: Rick Davis
Driver: Scott Kimbrow, Current ROAR National 1/8th Champion
(West Coast) Wrench/Driver: Jim Adkins
Mouth piece/free opinions/occasional pitboy: Rich Browne

Kyosho M3 chassis
Castle Creation MMM Speed control and 2650 KV motor
Spectrum Radio

Goal: run 10 minutes per battery, 4 cell, 14.8 Lipo. Speed equal to fuel
I see in the picture you are using a Mamba Monster. Have you had any problems with cogging or stutering. Have any of you been able to try the Tekin system yet?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #202
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwoodruff View Post
I see in the picture you are using a Mamba Monster. Have you had any problems with cogging or stutering. Have any of you been able to try the Tekin system yet?
The MMM we are using are smooth, effecient. Empire has five vehicles (mix of on and offroad 1/8th) using the Castle products = absolutely no issues to date - I have some cool set-up tips to ensure device longevity. Yep, I, too have read about the cogging issues in earlier versions of the unsensored units. On the track, aside from an occasional noise - our stuff hauls ass. Based on Rick's lap times - I'm not concerned about any performance issues. As a note - if the sensored stuff is better - well, we'll know about that

We will continue with the Castle stuff, excellent product, marvelous tech support - they have been fantastic to work with. Tekin has always make good stuff, too. I know they will do an equally fabulous job.

Face it - this is cutting edge stuff, man, it's a blast doing stuff that is super fast and "new". Not waiting for "someone" else to do it is most excellent.

Last edited by Rich Browne; 05-06-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #203
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,077
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerwr View Post
Is that right smart guy? Schedule this and get a clue . . . there is no clutch on my conversions. I run spiders and who in this world would run foams with brushless anyway? Let alone silicone center filled diff?
Whoa, chill out. Just comparing nitro vs nitro. You cant run rubber tires on true 1/8 onroad cars (MRX4, M3, 960, etc...), foam only. I also never said silicone filled center diffs. True 1/8 onroad cars don't have diffs at all.
__________________
Speedpassion : Speedpower : East Coast Bodies
thunderbt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #204
Tech Champion
 
Solara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,063
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
Okay, here goes.

We are all Empire Racers (Kyosho platforms):

Rick Davis (Detroit eM3): Toledo, Ohio. He is running his design now. Existing chassis. Modified radio tray (photos below). Battery is 34mm X 98mm X 64mm. 4200HV 4S2P 14.8V readily commercially available no "inside" tricks on supply.

Rick Yoder (Fresno eM3): Fresno, California. This design is planned to be done end of this month. More radical design requiring new chassis and radio tray. Built to accept a longer, sub C, spec size LiPo battery.

Rich Browne (Me): I'm the "clearing point" for Empire. Basically I do the majority of the talking.

Scott Kimbrow: Driver par excellance - no needed comment about this guy - sic skills.

Jim Adkins: Wrench, Driver all round good guy.

So there ya have it. Empire and the story of the Rich/Ricks. Yup, we're diggin' the LiPo thing (yes Jim, you too). Still, you can't take the nitro out of us - sorry. By the way it seems Empire has swollen to 10 or 15 guys.
Thanks Rich....that clears everything up. And I thought there was a MUGEN involved at 1 point...
Too bad I wasn't at the last weekend MWS (Toledo) or I can try to meet up with Rick Davis and check out his eM3. I know....Dennis Richie (MWS regular) has been doing his for like 2-3 years and everytime he was @ the Toledo MWS he always had his 1/8th BL running around for practice. But last time I saw his (last year)...speed was not there yet and car was not handling right..

On your post...you mentioned the batteries are 4200HV..is that 4200 mah or actually it is 4200hv..? What is 4200hv in battery term..? Also...34mm X 98mm X 64mm, that is the A123 cells right..?
__________________
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #205
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Thanks Rich....that clears everything up. And I thought there was a MUGEN involved at 1 point...
Too bad I wasn't at the last weekend MWS (Toledo) or I can try to meet up with Rick Davis and check out his eM3. I know....Dennis Richie (MWS regular) has been doing his for like 2-3 years and everytime he was @ the Toledo MWS he always had his 1/8th BL running around for practice. But last time I saw his (last year)...speed was not there yet and car was not handling right..

On your post...you mentioned the batteries are 4200HV..is that 4200 mah or actually it is 4200hv..? What is 4200hv in battery term..? Also...34mm X 98mm X 64mm, that is the A123 cells right..?
4200 Mah, LiPo
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #206
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,077
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
Okay, here goes.

We are all Empire Racers (Kyosho platforms):

Rick Davis (Detroit eM3): Toledo, Ohio. He is running his design now. Existing chassis. Modified radio tray (photos below). Battery is 34mm X 98mm X 64mm. 4200HV 4S2P 14.8V readily commercially available no "inside" tricks on supply.

Rick Yoder (Fresno eM3): Fresno, California. This design is planned to be done end of this month. More radical design requiring new chassis and radio tray. Built to accept a longer, sub C, spec size LiPo battery.

Rich Browne (Me): I'm the "clearing point" for Empire. Basically I do the majority of the talking.

Scott Kimbrow: Driver par excellance - no needed comment about this guy - sic skills.

Jim Adkins: Wrench, Driver all round good guy.

So there ya have it. Empire and the story of the Rich/Ricks. Yup, we're diggin' the LiPo thing (yes Jim, you too). Still, you can't take the nitro out of us - sorry. By the way it seems Empire has swollen to 10 or 15 guys.
I think it was Rick Yoder that had the eMRX3?
__________________
Speedpassion : Speedpower : East Coast Bodies
thunderbt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #207
Tech Champion
 
Solara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,063
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbt3 View Post
I think it was Rick Yoder that had the eMRX3?
yes....YoDog (Yoder) mentioned above already.
__________________
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #208
Tech Champion
 
Solara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,063
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
4200 Mah, LiPo
Got it...sorry about all these question...where can you get this lipo with the above dimension...? The shortest one I can find is still 110mm long x 36mm thick...
__________________
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #209
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 1,544
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
The MMM we are using are smooth, effecient. Empire has five vehicles (mix of on and offroad 1/8th) using the Castle products = absolutely no issues to date - I have some cool set-up tips to ensure device longevity. Yep, I, too have read about the cogging issues in earlier versions of the unsensored units. On the track, aside from an occasional noise - our stuff hauls ass. Based on Rick's lap times - I'm not concerned about any performance issues. As a note - if the sensored stuff is better - well, we'll know about that

We will continue with the Castle stuff, excellent product, marvelous tech support - they have been fantastic to work with. Tekin has always make good stuff, too. I know they will do an equally fabulous job.

Face it - this is cutting edge stuff, man, it's a blast doing stuff that is super fast and "new". Not waiting for "someone" else to do it is most excellent.
I won't argue the quality on the castle stuff. I have a few of their products and I'm very pleased with them. I have to submit that the new Tekin speedo that was specifically designed for 1/8th applications will be the unit to have.
Just my $0.02.
__________________
Pro-Line Racing , Boca Bearings , Competition Heat.
Team Durango DEX210, DEX410V3, DESC410R, DNX408
Futaba FAAST 2.4 4PkS, LRP, Tekin, Xcellorin
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #210
Tech Champion
 
Solara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,063
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
I won't argue the quality on the castle stuff. I have a few of their products and I'm very pleased with them. I have to submit that the new Tekin speedo that was specifically designed for 1/8th applications will be the unit to have.
Just my $0.02.
I have seen one at the LHS last night...it is out, and it looks super dooper good (and small)...
__________________
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/

Last edited by Solara; 05-06-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTT Nitro onroad 4 electric onroad rswartz R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 02-16-2008 05:22 AM
WTT: 1/10th scale electric offroad for onroad... M2_Driver R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 10-22-2007 06:48 AM
Electric heli and 1/5 scale onroad F/S... Nitrobuzzard R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 08-18-2007 07:41 PM
1/8 electric onroad?? Saber186 Electric On-Road 2 04-22-2006 10:25 AM
I need electric Onroad xxxssportracer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 05-20-2003 04:00 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:13 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net