Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Like Tree1Likes

Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #181
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkelley View Post
I think you're confusing the discussion of 1/8th GT's with the traditional 1/8th on road cars which I think this thread is mostly about. 1/8th GT's are only relevant here because their buggy siblings already went electric at least 2 years ago and plenty of conversions for those are available in the mass market. Lets keep this thread on topic of 1/8th On road. I'm really excited to see the developments going on with that.
No...I was not confused at all, and I was telling someone, mounting a brushless motor and lipo on a DM1 base chassis DOES NOT make it the 1/8th ON ROAD that we were all talking about here....

Like you...I am only concern (and care) about the 1/8th ON ROAD chassis conversion like for Serpent Kyosho Mugen type in this specific thread...not the DM1 buggy base/IGT conversion...

Lets get back to the on road subject, I should not start talking about the different between IGT and 1/8th On road, my bad...thanks everyone.

P.S....Kelly, I think you quoted the wrong guy...I think I've got what you said after reading the post below.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #182
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
No...I was not confused at all, and I was telling someone, mounting a brushless motor and lipo on a DM1 base chassis DOES NOT make it the 1/8th ON ROAD that we were all talking about here....

Like you...I am only concern (and care) about the 1/8th ON ROAD chassis conversion like for Serpent Kyosho Mugen type in this specify thread...not the DM1 buggy base/IGT conversion...

Lets get back to the on road subject, I should not start talking about the different between IGT and 1/8th On road, my bad...thanks everyone.
News flash guys. A DM-1 is not a buggy based chassis. Nor is it a Serpent. A little different setup somewhere in between.
Durango DEX410 - Orion R10 Pro & 8.5T
TLR 22 - Orion R10 Pro & 13.5T
dangerwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #183
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
Hi John,

Well, first goal was 5 minutes. Met that easily.

Like to see 10 minutes.

Currently the electric M3 is about the same weight as the fuel M3. We need to see what improvements we can make in speed control setup to maximize run time. The eMP9 manages 310 Mah per minute. My gut says the 571 is too high. We can go with more height on the battery - the length and width are at maximum. We should be able to pull 10 minutes plus warm up with 6000 Mah packs.

Early to say....
My guess is....your eMP9 drivetrain is a lot smoother then the eM3 (shaft versus 3 belts)...then my another guess (really just a guess) is the tire size of the eMP9 versus the eM3 foams...thats make the different about the Mah per minutes...

MWS just finished @ Toledo and I am sure the traction is still plenty good a day later....next time please shoot a short video and share with us.....

6000mah lipo that fits inside the M3 without major chassis/upper deck modification.....talking about dream come true...
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
Old 05-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #184
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Old 05-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #185
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

All I can say is brushless motors hold the record in every scale and type of model .... name it and a brushless motor made it quicker , faster ..... omg this sounds like the intro to the Six Million Dollar Man.
Okay except maybe model trains.

Plus I just gotta add that NITRO STINKS AND IS POLLUTING MY ATMOSPHERE !
That junk makes more toxins in one hour than your moms mini van does in one year. (not my moms... you moms... ) I would love to see nitro die in its tracks and everyone race something more economical and ecological. I miss the rip and shift but not the stinky mess. Let alone the friggin' clutch B.S. lol if anyone remembers my last GLC race.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #186
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
All I can say is brushless motors hold the record in every scale and type of model .... name it and a brushless motor made it quicker , faster ..... omg this sounds like the intro to the Six Million Dollar Man.
Okay except maybe model trains.
Really..? There are no model train racing..?

Well....so far, I think the biggest subject about these 1/8th ON ROAD conversion....is the BATTERIES. So far...we can only see 5 minutes of so run time with something SMALL and barely fit the non modified 1/8th chassis. If we need to go for longer run time or faster speed...bigger lipo is the only answer, and the problem is, they are bigger, alot bigger...

I remember seeing a video of a white DATSAN, converted to electric, full trunk of LIPO (electric anyway..) KILLS the M3, ZR1 and 911....they were like stand still...
Old 05-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #187
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kimbrow View Post
Just wait until I get my hands on that car.... I'm gonna suck the life out of those batteries! LOL

Actually can't wait to drive it and see how it handles and responds compared to the nitro M3. Rick is quite the master with an r/c car.
I totally agree. So where the FLOCK is mine ? And look ma! No clutch!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #188
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=Solara;5774850]

MWS just finished @ Toledo and I am sure the traction is still plenty good a day later....next time please shoot a short video and share with us.....

My thoughts exactly - was quite disappointed with the grip level, track did not look that dusty but there was quite a lot on the car when I got home and blew it off. Need to play around with some programming options, trade off punch control for finger control, program in some drag brake so I don't have to rely on amp sucking push brake (started the long run without using it but couldn't stand it any longer so went to push brake about the four minute mark) also want to try adding in some electronic advance and maybe pull the gear ratio back a little. All in all fairly happpy with the progress so far the only place that is lacking is top end.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #189
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkelley View Post
I think thats because there's more grip therefore a lot more load too.
Your on a role! I knew that already,but thanks for reinforcing the notion.

Quote:
I remember seeing a video of a white DATSAN, converted to electric, full trunk of LIPO (electric anyway..) KILLS the M3, ZR1 and 911....they were like stand still...
You mean this Datsun Sunny 1200?

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/vide...ic-Drag-Racing
Old 05-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #190
Tech Master

Quote:
My guess is....your eMP9 drivetrain is a lot smoother then the eM3 (shaft versus 3 belts)...then my another guess (really just a guess) is the tire size of the eMP9 versus the eM3 foams...thats make the different about the Mah per minutes...

6000mah lipo that fits inside the M3 without major chassis/upper deck modification.....talking about dream come true...

On the Detroit eM3 there is room to increase the thickness of the battery. The length and width are maxed out. So, we go vertical.

The Fresno eM3, only briefly mentioned here, still in construction, makes extensive changes to the car - This Rick Yoder designed platform is focused on allowing more battery length. I don't want to rain on Rick Yoder's parade - he needs to let me know if additional comments are okay-

It would be awesome to demo either of these cars at the Capitol Classic. Yes, Scott, I'm sure you'll be the wheelmeister.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #191
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
Your on a role! I knew that already,but thanks for reinforcing the notion.

You mean this Datsun Sunny 1200?

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/vide...ic-Drag-Racing
Thats awesome! But only 110mph and 11.555 seconds ?
Wheres the trap speed man... gear up!!!
I bet the sixty foot times are like 1.1. Killer launch no trap...
Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #192
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Rick Davis;5775052]
Quote:

My thoughts exactly - was quite disappointed with the grip level, track did not look that dusty but there was quite a lot on the car when I got home and blew it off. Need to play around with some programming options, trade off punch control for finger control, program in some drag brake so I don't have to rely on amp sucking push brake (started the long run without using it but couldn't stand it any longer so went to push brake about the four minute mark) also want to try adding in some electronic advance and maybe pull the gear ratio back a little. All in all fairly happpy with the progress so far the only place that is lacking is top end.
Whats the C rating on that pack?
35 or better may help if its not quite high enough.
I'm not to particularly fond of having a pack specifically for one car.
For instance my SC8e uses the same stuff I already use in my T/C.
I know they won't fit in this application . I've searched the world over for a 4 cell less than 107mm long .... or even a couple of 2 cell packs with like 5kAh and 40 C . That makes it a bit less interesting for me . I love the concept and once it becomes mainstream (it will be) perhaps then.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #193
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John St.Amant View Post
Whats the C rating on that pack?
35 or better may help if its not quite high enough.
I'm not to particularly fond of having a pack specifically for one car.
For instance my SC8e uses the same stuff I already use in my T/C.
I know they won't fit in this application . I've searched the world over for a 4 cell less than 107mm long .... or even a couple of 2 cell packs with like 5kAh and 40 C . That makes it a bit less interesting for me . I love the concept and once it becomes mainstream (it will be) perhaps then.
We are testing the platform and concept. If you read earlier posts there is a car that is developed to take "mainstream" batteries. I might add, the beauty of LiPo's - we aren't stuck on a size - current legacy battery size is based on the sub C cell. The flexibility in LiPo size will allow us to optimize new chassis designs. Feel free to join the discussion, more input will create a faster evolution-
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #194
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerwr View Post
News flash guys. A DM-1 is not a buggy based chassis. Nor is it a Serpent. A little different setup somewhere in between.
Majority of the drivetrain on the DM-1 is from the Jammin X1 buggy......
Buggy style clutch vs. Centax style clutch
17mm hexes vs. quick change wheel axles
buggy style/size wheels vs. quick change foam tires
silicone filled diffs vs. solid rear axle/one way

I do own a DM-1 Spec and I would say its a stretched out buggy with lay down shocks.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program:

eM3 looks awesome, as are all the electric conversions so far.
Now who has an eMRX4 in the works?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #195
Tech Champion

At this time...I kinda confused between Rich, Rick and the other Rick...also confused whos mugen and whos Kyosho.... ? No matter whos whos and whats whats...you guys did a great job to showing ppl like me about this conversion and the theory between brushless motor, lipo and WEIGHT....

I have searched online for the size of lipo batteries...unless you have some kinda "connection" with these batteries people...I just cannot find any 4S2P, 4000mah 25C or better single pack battery that is less then 110mm in lenght, not to mention...need to fit within 32mm "stock" radio deck to chassis slot (thickness)...almost none. (closest I can find is from Rhino...130mmx36mmx50mm)

So...if I am going to start this "Home Made" conversion without CNC, waterjet cutter and other highend machine...I think using two 30C 5000+ mah TC use lipo batteries (off the shelf)...mounting it left and right with a custom batteries mount/chassis adaptor then run it with some 2200-2500kv motor....should be able to have a good 5-6 minutes NITRO 1/8th speed (may be) run in brushless/lipo setup...

Several ppl already did that...the Aussy did the Serpent with THREE 2S lipo 6 cells conversion and some monster speed on their Youtube video....

I still think...the technology is still behind alittle but the same time next year, I have a feeling there will be a KIT coming out for the market and it will be RTR....

Guys...keep this project going, summer is not even started yet...