R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #166
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Awesome....keep up the good work and looking forward for your result.
Rick and a buddy had a chance to test today - very promising:

eM3 vs Fuel M3 - same driver both cars, Rick Davis

Track: Toledo Ohio (GLC track)
Conditions - traction below average, loose - temp 73, light hi clouds, 7 mph breeze

Best lap:

Fuel - 22.4 (not driven from driver stand)
LiPo - 21.8

(Rick feels the final realistic times will be similar)



LiPo results:
7 minutes run time.
Motor 130
Speed control 100
Battery: 130
571 Mah per minute.


Excellent result!!!

Last edited by Rich Browne; 05-05-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: fact correction
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #167
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,500
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Now that is impressive Rich.What runtime are you guys shooting for ultimately?
__________________
Team I'm Over It
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #168
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
Now that is impressive Rich.What runtime are you guys shooting for ultimately?
Hi John,

Well, first goal was 5 minutes. Met that easily.

Like to see 10 minutes.

Currently the electric M3 is about the same weight as the fuel M3. We need to see what improvements we can make in speed control setup to maximize run time. The eMP9 manages 310 Mah per minute. My gut says the 571 is too high. We can go with more height on the battery - the length and width are at maximum. We should be able to pull 10 minutes plus warm up with 6000 Mah packs.

Early to say....

Last edited by Rich Browne; 05-05-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: off road Mah miss-stated
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #169
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,500
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Nice to hear.Did you guys have any kind of data logger on the car?I am interested to see what test would be like if the car was run on a well prepped surface.Being the conditions were less then ideal,I wonder what the outcome as far as MAH drain would be in a high bite situation. Your MP9e sucks out 479 per minute? Wow! Anyways,I will talk with you when I see ya! Don't forget your slash.I bet its lonely!
__________________
Team I'm Over It
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #170
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
Nice to hear.Did you guys have any kind of data logger on the car?I am interested to see what test would be like if the car was run on a well prepped surface.Being the conditions were less then ideal,I wonder what the outcome as far as MAH drain would be in a high bite situation. Your MP9e sucks out 479 per minute? Wow! Anyways,I will talk with you when I see ya! Don't forget your slash.I bet its lonely!
Hi 'gain,

Keep in mind less than average traction at that track is the best some tracks could ever hope for. Well, my notebook did say 310 Mah/min for the eMP9.

Much more testing to go - today was day one.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #171
Tech Addict
 
tomkelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Mid West Series ran IGT, 1/10th and 1/8th together...IGT are using STOCK pull start engine with no mod...lap are usually IGT 13 laps, 1/10th 200mm 15 laps and 1/8th 18 laps...and each one of those are ran by skilled sponcered drivers, and that was according from the just finished race @ Toledo, national class tracks...(not parking lot).

Even putting up some high end Nova Rossi on road or off road engine...I don't see any IGT can make up 5 laps and catch up any 1/8th...and yes, may be 1/10th 200mm TC, but I still think TC will have the edge due to the size. Not to mention...1/8th use foam, IGT use rubber, some not so fast, high down force engine...it just won't drives like 1/8th LOLA type on road...that is a fact.

If you are talking about drag racing...I have nothing to say, anything can be fast...

Again...I don't dislike any of those IGT chassis...just want to express mounting a BL and LIPO on a DM1 Spec does not equal to 1 of these BL/LIPO Serpent, Mugen or Kyosho...far from it.

I don't know other ppl, but for me, IGT should stick with nitro cause there are a big class about this class running in stock form...and of course, there are plenty of conversion out there for ppl to convert to LIPO/BL Buggy and race OFF ROAD...running it on ON ROAD is simply mounting street tires, and some setup adjustment, then go...easy. 1/10th 200mm...no reason to convert, we have plenty of EP 190mm already.........that only leave the 1/8th ON ROAD.......no conversion kit, no nothing...expensive to TEST but we have seen some FAST one that can hang with current nitro unit...that make it interesting...my 0.02 cents.
I think you're confusing the discussion of 1/8th GT's with the traditional 1/8th on road cars which I think this thread is mostly about. 1/8th GT's are only relevant here because their buggy siblings already went electric at least 2 years ago and plenty of conversions for those are available in the mass market. Lets keep this thread on topic of 1/8th On road. I'm really excited to see the developments going on with that.
__________________
Detroit Radio Control Car Club
www.drccc.org
tomkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #172
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,500
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
Hi 'gain,

Well, my notebook did say 310 Mah/min for the eMP9.

Much more testing to go - today was day one.
310 makes more sense as far as offroad goes.

Onroad is power HUNGRY!
__________________
Team I'm Over It
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #173
wwoodruff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thats a great result. Thanks for posting your test information. This could help revive alot of clubs simply because they can run electric at parking lots in town since the noise would be a non-issue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #174
wwoodruff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkelley View Post
I think you're confusing the discussion of 1/8th GT's with the traditional 1/8th on road cars which I think this thread is mostly about. 1/8th GT's are only relevant here because their buggy siblings already went electric at least 2 years ago and plenty of conversions for those are available in the mass market. Lets keep this thread on topic of 1/8th On road. I'm really excited to see the developments going on with that.

What ever you say forum Police.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #175
Tech Addict
 
tomkelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwoodruff View Post
What ever you say forum Police.
no hard feelings.. just a thought!

Quote:
310 makes more sense as far as offroad goes.

Onroad is power HUNGRY!
I think thats because there's more grip therefore a lot more load too.
__________________
Detroit Radio Control Car Club
www.drccc.org
tomkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #176
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca
Posts: 1,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwoodruff View Post
Thats a great result. Thanks for posting your test information. This could help revive alot of clubs simply because they can run electric at parking lots in town since the noise would be a non-issue.
I agree. Noise and expense for Fuel is rough. These times are calling for new options.

I will never diminish the excitement of fuel on-road — frankly it is sooo exciting - and very challenging.




We, at Empire, are very lucky to have one visionary backer (he wants to remain behind the curtain) who feels the exact same way as you - and has pushed us "to make this so".

Last edited by Rich Browne; 05-05-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #177
Tech Master
 
YoDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lompoc, Ca.
Posts: 1,636
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS II View Post
You could build one or convert a gas car. Some I hope to convert a gas w/irs. Here's pics of my 1/8 electric pan car. Don
Jeez Don,
I wish you had mentioned the pan car earlier.

Nice to see the Astroflight motor!
I still have a few of them. Those are a really smooth power plant and tons of torque.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #178
wwoodruff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
Jeez Don,
I wish you had mentioned the pan car earlier.

Nice to see the Astroflight motor!
I still have a few of them. Those are a really smooth power plant and tons of torque.
A simple pan car that used existing 1/8 wheels and bodies would be really cool, G10 fiberglass and machined aluminum to keep the cost down (tooling for molds is really expensive.) Ok maybe a way to add toe and camber, but no suspension. A simple 4wd layout like the little Spada 09 would be fantastic but only if the car does not cost anywhere near what the suspension cars go for. Ok I want it all for $250.00.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #179
Tech Addict
 
tomkelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwoodruff View Post
A simple pan car that used existing 1/8 wheels and bodies would be really cool, G10 fiberglass and machined aluminum to keep the cost down (tooling for molds is really expensive.) Ok maybe a way to add toe and camber, but no suspension. A simple 4wd layout like the little Spada 09 would be fantastic but only if the car does not cost anywhere near what the suspension cars go for. Ok I want it all for $250.00.
RC300 Electric conversion anyone?
__________________
Detroit Radio Control Car Club
www.drccc.org
tomkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #180
Tech Adept
 
Scott Kimbrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
310 makes more sense as far as offroad goes.

Onroad is power HUNGRY!
Just wait until I get my hands on that car.... I'm gonna suck the life out of those batteries! LOL

Actually can't wait to drive it and see how it handles and responds compared to the nitro M3. Rick is quite the master with an r/c car.
__________________
Serpent / Serpent America / Novarossi / Spektrum / Xceed Tires / Tornado Fuel / Empire Racing / Protoform / Thunder Power / Avid Bearings / A-main Hobbies / Dynamite
Scott Kimbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTT Nitro onroad 4 electric onroad rswartz R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 02-16-2008 05:22 AM
WTT: 1/10th scale electric offroad for onroad... M2_Driver R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 10-22-2007 06:48 AM
Electric heli and 1/5 scale onroad F/S... Nitrobuzzard R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 08-18-2007 07:41 PM
1/8 electric onroad?? Saber186 Electric On-Road 2 04-22-2006 10:25 AM
I need electric Onroad xxxssportracer R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 05-20-2003 04:00 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:59 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net