R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   8th scale buggy engine (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/96252-8th-scale-buggy-engine.html)

kyracer 01-04-2006 10:52 AM

8th scale buggy engine

Ive been shopping for a new engine. I have a V spec that I have used last year but I would like to have something that I can use for most local races.
The Vspec has so much power, I dont need it for most of the racing I do. Plus a $300.00 engine in my opion is not really needed all the time. They have the HP but sacrafice life of the engine.
So I have been looking at 3 ports, cheaper and better miles per gallon (MPG).
Here is my list
Nova Top / Rex. (not sure whats the differance) :weird:
Collari
RB Concept

Did I leave any good 3 ports out?

ntro75 01-04-2006 12:04 PM

I like the novarrossi engines myself, Rb would be a great choice for the money.It is a novarossi based engine so it is probly just a little bit better than the stock nova,rex or top 3 ports because of rb's quality control.

go to www.rbproducts.com for more info on thier engines.

kyracer 01-04-2006 12:12 PM

Those are the 2 engines I have been looking at most.

Is the 3 port the way to go or should i get another 5 port like my V spec. I think the power band is a bit strong for some smaller tracks. Like a track that a 13 tooth clutch bell would be used or less then a 100 ft straight. Maybe im wrong. I know power is in the trigger finger but a 5 port has a strong power band.

SalvadoriRacing 01-04-2006 01:09 PM

nova/top/rex P5 turbo or standard are the best all round .21 buggy engines...............

ntro75 01-04-2006 03:06 PM

He is right, the 5 port is the best all around motor.However when i saw the rex 3 port go i was supprised how much snap it had compared to my p-5, it just ran out of steam sooner.I think you will like the 3 port if your not looking for the blistering top speed.I believe they make more torque than the 5 port.

SpeedBump57 01-04-2006 10:29 PM

Hum for some reason I was thinking the V-Spec was a 3 port. :confused:

kyracer 01-05-2006 12:38 AM

I dont dont beleave it is a 3 port, I have been wrong before.

OS V Spec
SPECIFICATIONS
Stock Number: OSMG2068
Displacement: .21 cu in (3.5 cc)
Bore: 0.653 in (16.6 mm)
Stroke: 0.629 in (16.0 mm)
Practical RPM: 3,000-40,000
Output: 2.5 hp @ 33,000 rpm

if it is its a very fast 3 port that has kicked many P5's ass. :cool:

SpeedBump57 01-05-2006 06:28 AM

Yea I went to there site as well to find spec's on the V-Spec and found what you found but no listing of ports. Im sure someone will chim in and tell us for sure.

kyracer 01-05-2006 11:21 AM

It is odd that OS does not tell the port on the V spec.
I kind of went by the HP and RPM, based on other engines that are listed 3,5, or 7 port.

n.e.r.d 01-05-2006 12:38 PM

hi kyracer racer,

the V-Spec is a 3 port engine. (refer to http://www.rccaraction.com/articles/dyno_vzbvspec.asp)
however it does make excellent power due to its design.
but the OS is known to have a short lifespan (blown bearings, worn-out p/s)

btw, i'm surprised to find someone who doesn't want/need power.
but it's gd to hear that there's a racer out thr who's willing to go for a lesser powered engine for his races.

i'm curious, is your V-spec losing it's power? and that's why you're looking for a new engine?
if the OS is still okay, you can always 'detune' the power by using fuel with less nitro or more oil. using some pipes/smaller carb venturi will also bring down the power.

but if it's time for a new engine, go for an italian/french engine. they're longer lasting. i'd recommend you the following...
RB S5 or S7II (bout $10 diff) - both have a smooth powerband and are very reliable.
Werks Collari B3 - reasonable price and power. 3ports (if that's wat you're looking for)
Nova B21SB - budget engine and it's italian!

you didn't specify how much you were willing to spend on your next engine, but the above will cost prob ~ $200-240.

btw, nova, top and rex all come from the same factory, just diff branding and the rex uses a diff crankcase. the nova version is still the best imo.

hope my posting has helped you in some way.
cheers!

kyracer 01-05-2006 12:57 PM

Funny you should ask about my V spec. The first one i had blew a connecting rod in about 4 weeks. I sent it back to OS and they replaced it. So far it is doing go but I dont want to take any chances. So I will only use it when I need more speed like larger races (Pro series). I am going to replace the con rod in my V spec and maybe it will last longer. Some say it is the bearings that suck and others say during break in the connecting rod gets worn. Who know, all I know is the V spec is not good.

Oh and all I have to say is WOW. The V spec 3 port is one fast engine!!

kyracer 01-05-2006 01:01 PM

price range I am looking at for a engine and it does not have to be a 3 port now sense I have one :)
between $175 to 250.00

n.e.r.d 01-05-2006 01:32 PM

i replaced the bearings in my V-Spec to nova ones the day i bought the engine. hadn't had a problem since.
conrod breakage is due to the engine not properly warmed up during break-in, eg. idling 1st few tanks etc. the p/s being very tight will put a lot of stress on the conrod and OS ones are not exactly as durable as the italian ones (thank god they're cheap!).

looking at your price range, you'll get to choose from a wide range of engines.
go for an italian engine which is reliable and will last long if given loving tender care.
i'd highly recommend the Rb S7II. even tho it's a 7port, has good low-end and mileage. smooth powerband = easy to drive.
if you want a 5port, you can look at the nova plus21-5, specs are impressive.
or if you can wait, the ninja engines looks impressive. they'll be out arnd next mth or so.

personally, i've favored 5port engines having had a nova P5T, P5TX and a novamax M5T.
i've had an RB C5 which is more suited for large tracks.
and of course my V-Spec which i only use for races (like you i'm abit skeptical of its lifespan).

btw, i've just PM'ed you...

SpeedBump57 01-05-2006 04:50 PM

Nice reply Mr. Nerd! I don't run a V-Spec but I was pretty sure it was a 3 port.

I have run the S5, S7II, WS7I, B3 and the B7. All of which are very good engines for the money.

n.e.r.d 01-05-2006 05:01 PM

they don call me n.e.r.d for nothing! :smile:

but i'm still a very big fan of the V-Spec.
can't wait to see how the JP V-Spec performs... :eek:

http://www.mugenracing.com/JP-OS/jpos1.jpg
http://www.mugenracing.com/JP-OS/jpos2.jpg