Orion Wasp newbie

Old 11-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Orion Wasp newbie

I am new to nitro and have a Wasp .12 off road i am struggling with. I ran about 4 tanks thorough at what i thought was fairly rich settings. Yesterday i could not get it to keep running. Temperature was much warmer so i leaned it to 2.5 turns out on the high speed neddle. It would start but as soon as i reved it once it would die. I am thinking it is to rcich but i dont want to ruin a new engine by leaning it out any more. If there is already a good thread on carb tuning please point me in the right direction because right now i am very frustrated. I guess i should have bought an OS! Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Too lean.

Go back to your original settings and lean it out slowly , also do you have a temp gauge? If not get one and keep the temps below 220. That will ensure it doesnt blow from overleaning , which the motor will get real hot....above 220F. But just to note some dont go by readings and some say 270 is ok, just whatever makes good power. Ive always played it safe though and kept my motors at 220-230 if racing. But thats about all I go, anymore than that and I get antsy.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Cool, i will have to get a temp gun. Any suggestions on which one to get or all they all about the same.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tcmerf
I am new to nitro and have a Wasp .12 off road i am struggling with. I ran about 4 tanks thorough at what i thought was fairly rich settings. Yesterday i could not get it to keep running. Temperature was much warmer so i leaned it to 2.5 turns out on the high speed neddle. It would start but as soon as i reved it once it would die. I am thinking it is to rcich but i dont want to ruin a new engine by leaning it out any more. If there is already a good thread on carb tuning please point me in the right direction because right now i am very frustrated. I guess i should have bought an OS! Thanks in advance for the help.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

Try this one by OFNA. BTW, DON'T TUNE YOUR ENGINE WITHOUT A TEMPERATURE GAUGE IF YOU ARE NEW TO NITRO. For how to tune your engine the only method I know off my head is from this link below and good luck.

http://www.cefx.net/tips/nitro/tuning/index.php
Old 11-17-2005, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Have you replaced the glowplug since the break-in? If you haven't I would suggest doing so. Glowplugs can foul up after break-in.

What % nitro are you running?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys. I got a temp gun and ran a tank through just in front of my house. not really track type conditions. Temp was very high, 280-300 but a had the throttle open quit a bit of the time. I am running 20% nitro. The problem i was having was it would hesitate so much down low the slipper would not even engage on my AD2, now matter how much i loosened it. One of these days i will get this figured out!
Old 11-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xyvern
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

Try this one by OFNA. BTW, DON'T TUNE YOUR ENGINE WITHOUT A TEMPERATURE GAUGE IF YOU ARE NEW TO NITRO. For how to tune your engine the only method I know off my head is from this link below and good luck.

http://www.cefx.net/tips/nitro/tuning/index.php

I dont agree with this ... ... ... a temerature gun its just for "reference" ... usually my engines run on 270ºF on my temperature gun, but if i measure with 2 or 3 of my friends guns, it shows a lower temperature ...

If the engine is giving a good smoke trail during the straight and on closed turns it fires a lot of smoke when it revs up ... for me its ok ... and after a minute or two i check temperature just for reference ...

My 0,0002 ...

Old 12-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ok, I got my temp gun and tried to fire up the truck tonight just for grins.
The temp outside is only about 55 so its pretty cold. It took a while to get it fired up and when and i took a reading after a few 1/2 throttle blips. It was 240 with gas pouring out the stinger. I really dont know why it is running so hot. I was expecting <200. That and it boogs really bad when i give it the gas. I am starting to wonder if i hurt the engine by not being more gentle for the first 5 or 6 tanks.

Last edited by tcmerf; 12-06-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:36 AM
Tech Regular

your needle settings are way off. sounds like it is too lean on the low speed needle and too rich on the high speed needle.