R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 12-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Adding 15k RPMs to the engine with Mods

How many RPMs can you typically add to an engine after modding it? I was browsing some of the modifiers websites and came across a new one who make some "amazing claims". Here is the one that caught my eye: "Expect 15,000 rpms over a stock one and 50% more torque". This is just one of them but they are all in the same line. Is this even possible? How could one make such claims with so many mechanical variables? Even a dyno is just a "guideline/estimation" and not an exact method. I'm not trying to bash anybody, just trying to get a better understanding and see if these claims are possible to achieve. Please discuss.
Oso787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Depends the motor you work on. If you have somekind of low end RTR motor running 30.000 rpm then yes, adding 15.000 more is possible but for sure the motor has no long life.

Adding 1500 rpm is possible but it is not all about adding rpm, it is also about adding torque and widening the torque/hp curve.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso787 View Post
How many RPMs can you typically add to an engine after modding it? I was browsing some of the modifiers websites and came across a new one who make some "amazing claims". Here is the one that caught my eye: "Expect 15,000 rpms over a stock one and 50% more torque". This is just one of them but they are all in the same line. Is this even possible? How could one make such claims with so many mechanical variables? Even a dyno is just a "guideline/estimation" and not an exact method. I'm not trying to bash anybody, just trying to get a better understanding and see if these claims are possible to achieve. Please discuss.
15k and 50% torque in an already fast engine?
no way!
i think he speak about low performance rtr engines.many of those can't handle so much extra power.
GREGORY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORY! View Post
15k and 50% torque in an already fast engine?
no way!
i think he speak about low performance rtr engines.many of those can't handle so much extra power.
He makes these claims of engines like the Flash R21, Keep On and 35+21! If at all possible, you will have a granade for a engine me thinks!
Old 12-27-2014, 04:35 AM   #5
Tech Champion

http://powersecrets.net/

wow!

Quote:
Novarossi Virtus .21

(SKU #XXXXXX)

IMPROVED CRANK AND PORT DESIGN WITH DUAL CERAMIC BEARINGS. THIS IS 45,OOO RPM OUT OF THE BOX AND WE CAN PUSH IT TO 60,000 RPMS IF YOU CAN GEAR IT

STATE OF THE ART CARB ENTRY OFF-SET. WE CAN MOD A REALLY GOOD ENGINE TO START WITH.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Now you understand! lol
Old 12-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

:rolls eyes: yeah. Okay. If he really was trying to push his service/product, he'd take time to proofread his page. Posting a video of a traxxas 3.3 at idle is kind of hard to believe 60k rpm can be achieved.
Giant655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant655 View Post
:rolls eyes: yeah. Okay. If he really was trying to push his service/product, he'd take time to proofread his page. Posting a video of a traxxas 3.3 at idle is kind of hard to believe 60k rpm can be achieved.
+1
1fastmxcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
Tech Master

60,000rpm on the bench, with no load, for a single run, maybe. There's no way it would actually rev that high while dragging a vehicle around with it, and even if it could, the wear on the conrod bushings from the centrifugal force alone would be unbelievable.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:33 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
The crank is then heat treated with carbon for strength, Then we SPEED BALANCE, then its high quality silicone ramped ).

Novarossi lifetime ceramic HIGH SPEED bearings (x2) F+R.(NO Abec junk here, they wont last @ 40,000 rpms for long)

Lifetime Connecting Rod, knife edged (Trx 2.5&3.3 only)
Re-heat treat a crank with carbon???? Re-heating a crank can result in a bended crank or a to hard crank snapping in pieces..

Novarossi bearings last a lifetime? Oh wel, what is the lifetime of a 60.000 rpm running engine? But hey, Abec is junk.....

Lifetime connecting rod? Again, the life at 60.000 rpm is short
Old 12-28-2014, 04:59 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Re-heat treat a crank with carbon???? Re-heating a crank can result in a bended crank or a to hard crank snapping in pieces..

Novarossi bearings last a lifetime? Oh wel, what is the lifetime of a 60.000 rpm running engine? But hey, Abec is junk.....

+1
kyosho malaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:

To heat treat some means to add carbon to it. Itll absolutely break if he over does it, carbon is very brittle. The heat again will warp it 100%. May not be much...but at 60k rpm lmao itll be significant. Unless he has an OD grinder to polish out the high spots, you're in for a ride when you launch that piston into low earth orbit
Giant655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

He's modding these engines for drag racing, they do one run. It's not lapping a circuit for 20-30 minutes per race.

Maybe he can achieve 60,000 RPM, but it would be no good for 1/8 On Road.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHealey View Post
He's modding these engines for drag racing, they do one run. It's not lapping a circuit for 20-30 minutes per race.

Maybe he can achieve 60,000 RPM, but it would be no good for 1/8 On Road.

We use 55%-65% nitro on these engines for drag racing. That will be a bad combination! The practical RPM range of a Virtus(the current engine I run) is 6000-46,800rpms. If you add 15,000rmps, you are bringing this engine to 63,800 RPMs!

I am not an expert nor an engineer but something don't add up here. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm all about learning.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
Tech Champion

As mentioned maybe in free air but on the track no engine is comming beyond the 50,000rpm. The only one who did was the Orion CRF Wasp, it needed a light gearing to come alive reaching the same speeds as others on a heavy gearing. Regarding the designer of that engine it has runned 55.000 rpm on a testbench.