R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #1
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default need new 12 engine

I'm now going on my 3rd season racing nitro sedan and have ran mainly Novarossi engines. Right now I'm running a keep on and I am very happy with it. Last season I ran the mUrnan rbm3 and loved that motor also.
Now, the keep on is a long stroke motor and the rb is not, can someone explain the difference?
I like the feel of the short stroke better, but used a friends reds motor and really like how smooth the powerband was and that the power was there when it was needed.
Im kind of torn between the Reds and the newest OS motor.
If you were to buy a motor today what would you buy? Why?
Thank you
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,350
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Novarossi virtus. It's the quickest out there at the moment. I've just moved from a keep on to a virtus and it's definitely quicker plus slightly better fuel mileage as well. I'm gonna try a murnan modded virtus soon. That thing will be incredible.
__________________
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent 977 EVO2 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
godzukihop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,717
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
I'm now going on my 3rd season racing nitro sedan and have ran mainly Novarossi engines. Right now I'm running a keep on and I am very happy with it. Last season I ran the mUrnan rbm3 and loved that motor also.
Now, the keep on is a long stroke motor and the rb is not, can someone explain the difference?
I like the feel of the short stroke better, but used a friends reds motor and really like how smooth the powerband was and that the power was there when it was needed.
Im kind of torn between the Reds and the newest OS motor.
If you were to buy a motor today what would you buy? Why?
Thank you
http://www.murnanmodified.com/produc...roducts_id=898
__________________
JOHN's MOBILE RACEWAY | 180 RACEWAY | Jackson RC Track
Murnan Modified because HP is intoxicating!!! | VP RACE FUEL |
G-FORCE HOBBIES | Fordham Hobbies | ASHFORD HOBBY | TEAM CAMDEN
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY / TEAM POWERS
godzukihop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
HHH
Tech Regular
 
HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 423
Default

1. Are you sure the RBM3 is not long stroke? I do not know, just curious where you got this info from. I recall reading it was long stroke.

2. Not to bash nova (I am a fan and for the past two years only have novas and nova based engines in my trolley), I know a guy who got the Virtus red dot and was quite disappointed vs the keepon and ORCAN GT3C.

3. I like the ORCAN gt3C best and the RS3 so far. Both are nova based but they require a very high level of maintenance (conrod) due to being close to the power and internal stress limits.

4. On any given day my favorite is a murnan 353C that is smooth and indestructible. Often, given thr mm353c's non-super explosive power I will run quicker laps with it.
HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHH View Post
1. Are you sure the RBM3 is not long stroke? I do not know, just curious where you got this info from. I recall reading it was long stroke.

2. Not to bash nova (I am a fan and for the past two years only have novas and nova based engines in my trolley), I know a guy who got the Virtus red dot and was quite disappointed vs the keepon and ORCAN GT3C.

3. I like the ORCAN gt3C best and the RS3 so far. Both are nova based but they require a very high level of maintenance (conrod) due to being close to the power and internal stress limits.

4. On any given day my favorite is a murnan 353C that is smooth and indestructible. Often, given thr mm353c's non-super explosive power I will run quicker laps with it.
I dont know if its long stroke or not.
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Novarossi virtus. It's the quickest out there at the moment. I've just moved from a keep on to a virtus and it's definitely quicker plus slightly better fuel mileage as well. I'm gonna try a murnan modded virtus soon. That thing will be incredible.
I would like to go for the virtus, but really hate paying for those rear bearings
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pasadena md
Posts: 1,291
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chaos2984
Default

depends on what kind of track your going to race on. If your going to be racing on a high speed track or one with a long straight where you can get high speed. I would suggest a NOVA they have so much power and a lot at top end.
__________________
Owner of D&D collectible toys

garage xray m18(2) 416x nitro rs4 nitro rs4 3 evo traxxas slash hpi savage Xray NT1 MTX4R Tamiya 416x a few nice planes in my hangar.
chaos2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
Grinder's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,851
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
I dont know if its long stroke or not.
The RBM3 is a long stroke.
__________________
www.murnanmodified.com
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:34 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,350
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
I would like to go for the virtus, but really hate paying for those rear bearings
I've never had a rear nova ceramic fail or needing to be changed. It outlasts the rest of the engine! So long as you run good fuel it's not an issue.
__________________
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent 977 EVO2 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:40 AM   #10
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
I've never had a rear nova ceramic fail or needing to be changed. It outlasts the rest of the engine! So long as you run good fuel it's not an issue.
So far I haven't had problems either, but have been told they fail prematurely. I have had different experiences with the keep on, it always performs the way I want and the bearing is fine. Any ceramic bearing will go if overheated, and I'm still learning that fine line between perfectly tuned and too hot. I have 2 keep on motors and for as long as I can get my hands on them, I will be running them.
I do want to try the virtus 12 eventually, just have no reason to replace what I have for now.
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,350
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Bearings usually go due to bad fuel. Use good fuel and tune well and the bearings will last a very long time. I don't bother with a front ceramic and stay with the steels and change them out more frequently if I start getting unstable idles etc but even then it isn't very often.
__________________
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent 977 EVO2 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,350
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

I've just finished running in a new OS XZ-12 SPEC 3 engine. I couldn't believe how quickly it ran in and became stable compared to my usual novarossi's. I only got it as a backup backup engine as the price was right. It is incredibly powerful and linear in its power delivery. Sounds good too for the price I think it is a brilliant engine. I still prefer my nova virtus though which is more powerful overall once they finally run in!
__________________
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent 977 EVO2 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #13
Tech Elite
 
brothainchrist0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,030
Trader Rating: 145 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys, i'm going to kind of keep this thread going by posing another question. I need a .12 motor for my sedan that has a lot of low end. We have one straight that is maybe 25 yards long with only enough room to have about 10 yards of actual full throttle. Any suggested engines for a lot of lower end? What do you guys think of RB engines? I have one of those on my 8th scale 4wd cars and it rips!
__________________
Mugen MRX5 - Ielasi Modified Engines/Matrix Tires/Savox Servos/Airtronics Radio

IGT Hobbies - The one stop shop for anything on-road and incredible customer service.
brothainchrist0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,350
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

The nova virtus has stacks of low end torque. Probably the most of all the engines I've ran over the years. I recently tried the new PICCO .12 WC in Thailand and that was on par with the virtus low down. It had more top end than the virtus however. It may be my engine of choice for 2015.
__________________
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent 977 EVO2 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
brothainchrist0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 3,030
Trader Rating: 145 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
The nova virtus has stacks of low end torque. Probably the most of all the engines I've ran over the years. I recently tried the new PICCO .12 WC in Thailand and that was on par with the virtus low down. It had more top end than the virtus however. It may be my engine of choice for 2015.
Thank you Dan! I have decided that the Picco motor will be my engine of choice for 2015 as well. Now I just gotta come up with the money thank you!
__________________
Mugen MRX5 - Ielasi Modified Engines/Matrix Tires/Savox Servos/Airtronics Radio

IGT Hobbies - The one stop shop for anything on-road and incredible customer service.
brothainchrist0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:47 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net