R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   RB Engine Thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/80936-rb-engine-thread.html)

snowboardgeek1 08-15-2005 10:29 AM

RB Engine Thread

I haven't seen a thread started on RB engines so I figured I'd start one.

I have a question about the RB V12 5 port engines. Anyone use it? How do you like the power? How's the power compared to a Mugen X12. I only race at the club level, and I'm looking for an engine that'll keep up with my Mugen X12 at Sun Valley's long straightaway, and thru the corners of course.

terry sturchio 08-23-2005 08:56 AM

RB 5 port is a strong mill and should keep up fine with the X12. I wish I had a long straight. I have a 5 port V12 Rody sitting in my box just waiting for enough room to stretch it's legs. It's certainly more engine than I have room for locally. I run a 3 port V12 most of the time, and it seems to run as well as the Mugen X12 also. It has a little less top end than say a JP mod or some other modded 3 ports, but it's also considerably cheaper. If I were to buy the V12 3 port Rody I'm sure it would perform more like the other mods available.

snowboardgeek1 08-23-2005 01:15 PM

Thanks for the reply. The price difference between the 3 and 5 port isn't that much actually. The 5 port sells for 249 and the 3 port I believe sells for 229, both at acehardwarehobbies. Those are the best prices I've seen so far. I'll be picking up the 5 port soon. I was just curious to know if its in the same league as a Mugen X12 or even an OS 12TZ 5 port.

Rody 08-23-2005 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1
Thanks for the reply. The price difference between the 3 and 5 port isn't that much actually. The 5 port sells for 249 and the 3 port I believe sells for 229, both at acehardwarehobbies. Those are the best prices I've seen so far. I'll be picking up the 5 port soon. I was just curious to know if its in the same league as a Mugen X12 or even an OS 12TZ 5 port.

Of course they are not in the same league. The OS falls way short of a Standard V12 let alone Rody!!!

snowboardgeek1 08-23-2005 03:46 PM

Wow, the OS12TZ isnt even as fast as an RBv12? I guess that answers my question!!! I'll be gettin the RB V12 5 port soon :)

wendellc1 08-24-2005 08:11 AM

The OSTZ 3-port is a fast engine and sounds terrific when matched with the OS pipe. A few racers at my local track use them. They are both great engines at great prices. The V12 should out shine it by a little, but shouldn't be too noticable. If you picked the V12, check RB's site for their matched pipe.

snowboardgeek1 08-24-2005 08:20 AM

See, I experienced the same thing. When I raced against guys that have OS 12TZ 3 port motors, they were able to hang with my Mugen X12 on the straight. The straightaway at my local track measures 150 ft. Pretty damn long...and if the OS 12TZ can hang with my X12, that's pretty damn impressive to me. Only engine I've seen that can smoke my X12, is an RB v15.

Still deciding on what to get...but I'm definitely leaning towards the RB V12 5 port. Since my local track hosts club races, they allow any motor to run.

wendellc1 08-24-2005 08:45 AM

If you local track allows any engine, I would say for the ultimate HP at a killer price, the OS 18 TZ is the engine. This is if your track is large enough. This engine is on par with the Rody V15 but at less than 1/2 the price.

snowboardgeek1 08-24-2005 09:47 AM

So the OS 18TZ has as much power as an RB V15? Hmmmmm...even more? Hmmmmm... ;)

I might have to look into that. Its only 179 at towerhobbies, and they're offering a 25 dollar discount.

So I'm assuming that the Mugen MTX3 prospec drivetrain can handle this motor?

Thanks for the insight!

snowboardgeek1 08-24-2005 09:49 AM

Actually, I was looking at the Max RPMs on the motor, and it seems somewhat low...34K max. Although, its rated at 1.8hp at 29K.

terry sturchio 08-24-2005 10:04 AM

I would take the ratings with a grain of salt. Unless you are comparing ratings of one engine to the next from the same manufacturer, or from an idependent like a magazine or something. Each company uses their own environment, dyno, fuel, data collection process, etc. Some optimize them beyond realistic conditions to yield higher numbers so even though Manufacturer A says 2.5 HP @ 40 zillion RPM and Manufacturer B says 1.3HP @ 37000 RPM doesn't necessarily mean engine A is better, just better in their test. You could put engine B in the same conditions and possibly get very similar or better results. Now when EXtreme RC or RC Car Action etc. does dyno testing, they use the same dyno for every engine so you can trust that data more. Ratings are really useful if you want to say compare an OS-12CZ to and OS-12TR because they are both done by OS on thier own dyno with their own process.

terry sturchio 08-24-2005 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1
So the OS 18TZ has as much power as an RB V15? Hmmmmm...even more? Hmmmmm... ;)

I might have to look into that. Its only 179 at towerhobbies, and they're offering a 25 dollar discount.

So I'm assuming that the Mugen MTX3 prospec drivetrain can handle this motor?

Thanks for the insight!

Yes the MTX3 prospec can easily handle it. A higher displacement engine will generally produce more HP, but I doubt you will see the full benefit unless you drop your gear ratio to exploit it. As you noticed, RPM's are usually not higher, but the increased torque lets it put down more gear without flattening out.

snowboardgeek1 08-24-2005 10:09 AM

I agree.

But what I'm looking for more, is an engine that can hang with my X12 or an RB V15. I know its comparing apples to oranges, but I dont have 350-400 to spend on a V15. Just looking to see if anyone has experience with other engines that can hang with these two. Right now, my max price is 249, which the RB V12 5 port fits into quite well. But if I can find a similar powered engine, for less, I'd definitely consider it.

Thanks for your insight though.

snowboardgeek1 08-24-2005 10:10 AM

I believe the final gear on the prospec is a 58. Not sure...what gearing would you recommend?

Originally Posted by terry sturchio
Yes the MTX3 prospec can easily handle it. A higher displacement engine will generally produce more HP, but I doubt you will see the full benefit unless you drop your gear ratio to exploit it. As you noticed, RPM's are usually not higher, but the increased torque lets it put down more gear without flattening out.

gfd2726 08-24-2005 10:15 AM

O.S .18TZ is the best bang for the buck (hp vs price). But this engine may be too stressful to your car. Also, the fuel economy is not good. Try getting a good reliable .12 (RB, Novarossi, O.S...etc). You'll have longer running time with .12.