R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 01-29-2006, 12:14 AM   #61
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to rbboy Send a message via Yahoo to rbboy

v-concept pipes are very good. The pipe is a match for V12 engines It has alot of low-mid torque and good top speed. The pipe is also built with a stronger material.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:24 PM   #62
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

ok, I just finished breaking in my c12 for my AD2, took forever, but well worth the wait. Engine has gobs of power.

After reading the instruction manual over and over, I came across a part in the back where they say to reaplce the conrod after 1.5 gallons of gas. Has anyone done this?

Just curious is all, I figure $25 for a conrod to make a $200 motor keep from self destructing is ok in my book.

Anyone find a pipe that really works well with this motor? I currently have it setup with the stock Drake pipe.

Thanks
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

I have a V12 3 port std Rody, but it's the first gen rody model 415. The ROAR V12 Rody 3port turbo 425 being the fastest and the EFRA 445 2nd fastest. They seem to be more finicky to tune, but rev to the sky compared to mine. Anyone have the standard 3 port and tuned the middle range needle? The engine just doesn't seem to be as fast for the $320 I payed for it. I could've ran the Mt12 with 30% fuel instead and that'd be fine, but for now I'm testing my Rody with 30% byrons as it's SOO reliable. It seems to be running at max performance and won't go any faster.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #64
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
I have a V12 3 port std Rody, but it's the first gen rody model 415. The ROAR V12 Rody 3port turbo 425 being the fastest and the EFRA 445 2nd fastest. They seem to be more finicky to tune, but rev to the sky compared to mine. Anyone have the standard 3 port and tuned the middle range needle? The engine just doesn't seem to be as fast for the $320 I payed for it. I could've ran the Mt12 with 30% fuel instead and that'd be fine, but for now I'm testing my Rody with 30% byrons as it's SOO reliable. It seems to be running at max performance and won't go any faster.
the mid range needle is for transiion when the throttle is open .to give more or less fuel at 25% 50% and 100% in a nut shell
Old 02-15-2006, 04:59 AM   #65
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by captian
the mid range needle is for transiion when the throttle is open .to give more or less fuel at 25% 50% and 100% in a nut shell
Mid Range Needle

The screw inside the slide body is really the low-end needle, and it plugs into the main jet, or so called mid range needle(the 'brass needle' in the opposite side, usually flush to the surface of the carb body) without obtruding completely to allow a little of fuel to pass when the needle plugs into it to allow the engine to idle.

The dimensions of the jet, or mid range needle (brass needle), its position relative to the venturi, and the dimensions, ramps and shape of the low-end needle dictates the fuel curve of the carburetor (or how much fuel enters by each cfm of air drawn into the engine at a relative carb opening).

At idle speed, the engine is controlled by the low-end needle and how much air pass into the engine via the position of the barrel. But when you start to move the barrel to allow to pass more air, in fact, you're moving too the low-end needle, allowing at the same time to pass more fuel too. The low end needle adjustment is critical, because the engine relies on this adjustment for its temperature control when idling in the infield of the race track. This is the point where the engine does 90% of its work. If the top speed of the engine is good and the engine runs hot, you should generally richen this valve. You should see smoke when you open the throttle at low speed.

Depending at which opening of the barrel the jet (mid range needle) is totally uncovered, and the carburetor starts being mandated by the adjustment of the high-end needle, and how much fuel this last adjustment permits to pass, rather than being governed by the low-end needle, can be varied (and the power band of the engine too, but slightly) by screwing or unscrewing the jet (mid range needle) and readjusting the low-end needle. But be careful screwing the jet too further into the venturi can lead to mix and temperature problems (in fact, you're leaning the mid rpms, where the engine operates at partial opening of the carb, this can lead to problems and erratic operation) this is why on almost all the engine booklets warns you about to not touching this adjustment.

The position of the jet, relative to the venturi also changes the position on where and how much the vortex of air that enters into the carb varies how finely is the fuel sprayed into the air that enters (fuel is converted into a mist for being burned, a drop, no matter how little is doesn't burn and can create many and serious problems). This last can lead up to a conrod breakage (common) or piston breakage (not common but seen some) due to hydro lock.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Wow, awesome info. *Takes notes*
Old 02-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #67
Tech Master

afm. great post but how many people know what cfm is ?
if you are not around a flow bench or measuring tools to know this. what you post is over some of the people heads
you are right on more than one count .even when you say jets thats another tuneing opsion. just wanted to keep it simple. hope what you poste helps them more
Old 02-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #68
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default RB Speedline engine

Check out RB website, check out the pop up window. Will RB come out with a new engine? Xenon R Speedline? Any info?
XTREMERCHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #69
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTREMERCHOBBIES
Check out RB website, check out the pop up window. Will RB come out with a new engine? Xenon R Speedline? Any info?
I saw a picture a few days ago, see picture below. Looks like they are made by Sirio.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:06 AM   #70
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone know if the new motor is for a particular size only? From the pic it looks like that one is a .21 engine. On another note I just broke in my v.12 5 port yesterday. Awsome engine. Very smooth, fires on the first bump, and runs like a raped ape. Can't wait to compete with it.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #71
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBagRacing
anyone know if the new motor is for a particular size only? From the pic it looks like that one is a .21 engine. On another note I just broke in my v.12 5 port yesterday. Awsome engine. Very smooth, fires on the first bump, and runs like a raped ape. Can't wait to compete with it.
from what i know .12 - 3.5 and 3.5 offroad and monster truck
Old 02-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #72
Tech Master

You could go to the RB Forum and see what Rody says about the engines. He comments about them in two different threads:

http://www.rbproducts.com

enter the forum -- comments are in:
"New RB..." (Feb 8th) and
"place of XenonR in RB Line" (Feb 10th)
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #73
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy
I saw a picture a few days ago, see picture below. Looks like they are made by Sirio.
Hey snowy, this rumour was going around at the worlds in Messina. When Ray Wood returned, he told me that RB might switch to Sirio based engines. In the Pic you posted, the carby is Definately Sirio. Exciting stuff. RB has fallen by the way side in Onroad racing and their engines just dont cut it at the moment...

Last edited by Rody; 02-17-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #74
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody
Hey snowy, this rumour was going around at the world in Messina. When Ray Wood returned, he told me that RB might switch to Sirio based engines. In the Pic you posted, the carby is Definately Sirio. Exciting stuff. RB has fallen by the way side in Onroad racing and their engines just dont cut it at the moment...
I don't agree that the RB motors have fallen by the wayside in 1/8th On Road. Scott Kimbrow (RB, Kyosho USA and Empire Racing) runs RB's. Here is our record for 2005: We took 3 Firsts (Paris Memorial '05, Speedine Grandprix '05 and Paris Memorial '04) three seconds (ROAR Nationals '05, Great Lakes Challenge '05 and Nitro Showdown '05). We won the RAMS title by TQing and winning 7 out of 8 races.

We finished no lower than second all year - we had no DNF's that was over 21 races in '05.

We (Empire) were fast last year - plus, we finished all of our races.
Let's see what happens this year.
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:46 PM   #75
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne
I don't agree that the RB motors have fallen by the wayside in 1/8th On Road. Scott Kimbrow (RB, Kyosho USA and Empire Racing) runs RB's. Here is our record for 2005: We took 3 Firsts (Paris Memorial '05, Speedine Grandprix '05 and Paris Memorial '04) three seconds (ROAR Nationals '05, Great Lakes Challenge '05 and Nitro Showdown '05). We won the RAMS title by TQing and winning 7 out of 8 races.

We finished no lower than second all year - we had no DNF's that was over 21 races in '05.

We (Empire) were fast last year - plus, we finished all of our races.
Let's see what happens this year.
Great results. No one can really argue with that, but with all due respect thats all in the USA. Where did they finish at the 200mm IFMAR worlds in Brazil in 2004? Where did they finish at the 1/8th IFMAR Worlds in Messina 2005?

Maybe i was a little unfair by saying that they have fallen by the way side. What im trying to say is that they have a bit of catching up to do, now that the 35 Plus 21 is out, JP is working on a 35 Plus 21, Sirio, Ninja, etc...
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote