R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 08-24-2005, 11:17 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

GFD - maybe you can just give me your RB V15 rody lol j/k

Yeah, i'm still leaning towards the V12 5 port. I don't really care about having a legal engine, as a lot of the guys I run with, run outlaw motors. Plus I have my X12 to use in ROAR or other sanctioned events, where they care about motor size.
snowboardgeek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:29 AM   #17
Tech Adept

I agree with GFD about the .12 and better fuel mileage. Especially if you run longer mains at your track. I like being able to pit later than everyone else. It takes the pressure off your pit guy and makes it a lot easier to deal with pit traffic.

I think the Pro-spec will handle the horsepower, I just think it might be overkill anyway. Trust me, and RB V12 5 port will run as well as your X12 if not better. There is already enough power there. Too much power is just a waste anyway unless your track is giant and you can really use it. I couldn't begin to tell you where to gear an .18-TZ because I've never ran one before. Haven't had one on a dyno either. Gearing is subjective on every track anyway. Our track has a different layout from race to race and I sometimes have to change gearing just to accomodate that.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:35 AM   #18
Tech Addict

The track I race at is definitely HUGE. Its the largest on road track in california, according to others. Sun Valley has a long straightaway, and the turns are more of sweepers in my opinion...its setup for 1/8th scale racers, more than 1/10th scale. Very fun track to race at.

I'll most likely get the RB V12 5 port. Only thing I hate about having a turbo engine, is the damn plugs...so expensive!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:51 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1
Only thing I hate about having a turbo engine, is the damn plugs...so expensive!
I have grown kind of fond of the turbo plugs. Not having to find more copper gaskets all the time is worth it to me. I have used the same plug for nearly a season on my RB V12 3 port. It still runs great. I never put a new plug in for a club race unless it is absolutely toast. For bigger races, I generally run a new plug just for insurance. If I can't afford a few glow plugs, then I probably shouldn't be racing anyway. My Tire bill is probably higher than my whole car in a season.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:57 AM   #20
Tech Addict

I hear yah about the damn foam tires. I must go thru a set after every day of racing. Pisses me off. I can definitely afford the plugs (I must have spent over 2K the past 2 months!) its just I like having spares, and the turbo plugs can add up. My X12 isn't turbo so this will be the first time I'll be using a turbo engine.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:17 PM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
I hear yah about the damn foam tires. I must go thru a set after every day of racing. Pisses me off. I can definitely afford the plugs (I must have spent over 2K the past 2 months!) its just I like having spares, and the turbo plugs can add up. My X12 isn't turbo so this will be the first time I'll be using a turbo engine.
Try Ultimate Hobbies in Orange. I got my 3 port V12 for $199
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:55 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Not bad! How much for a 5 port RB? I'll call them up tomorrow!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hi there.
i already tried RBv12. for me it's just a normal engine. b4 i run the engine, i checked everything the internal parts and i dont find any special mod inside it. if i not mistaken, there's 2 type of RBv12. normal n Rody version. look 4 Rody's version if power is considered. otherwise go for OStz, or sirio evo3, the hottest in the market.
Mie3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:17 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mie3R
hi there.
i already tried RBv12. for me it's just a normal engine. b4 i run the engine, i checked everything the internal parts and i dont find any special mod inside it. if i not mistaken, there's 2 type of RBv12. normal n Rody version. look 4 Rody's version if power is considered. otherwise go for OStz, or sirio evo3, the hottest in the market.
So what if there is no crazy cuts or grinds. Have you seen inside a TZ yet? You wont find any there either. How quick a motor is mainly depends on the port timing. These cuts and grinds on the sleeve and crank are not the only difference between a rody and a standard V12. They also have different port timing. Also, open up any Novarossi engine and you wont find anything in there either except for a 'turbo flute' on the crankshaft which the RB also has.
+ buy any Nova or RB and you can be sure that the thing will last. The components used on these engines are second to none.

p.s. Visit the Sirio thread, and you will find some very unhappy people there. No doubt the motors are fast but they use rubbish carbs and break crankshafts very easily and frequently...
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:55 AM   #25
Tech Elite

i do agree with u rody. the sirio carb is not reliable. only suitable 4 big track. what i'm trying to say is, once i bought the v12, i expect there's something new inside it compared to x12. at my place the v12 is much expensive compare to the rest(non mod engine). whta i did to my v12 is 'port n polish'. then only i feel the power of RB. my previous engine was RB Rody Roem. i love the engine especially the top end.. thanx 4 ur explaination.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:07 AM   #26
Tech Addict

I agree, the Novarossi engines are very reliable engines. I have heard the same about RB engines, which is why I am looking to buy one.

If this is the great Rody Roem, I have to say, its a pleasure talking to one of the best tuners out there. Thanks for visiting this thread.

Quick question...How does the RB V12 5 port, match up to the OS 12TZ 5 port, as far as performance? I dont mind paying the extra money to get the RB if I know for sure it'll beat an OS12TZ, or even my Mugen X12 engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody
So what if there is no crazy cuts or grinds. Have you seen inside a TZ yet? You wont find any there either. How quick a motor is mainly depends on the port timing. These cuts and grinds on the sleeve and crank are not the only difference between a rody and a standard V12. They also have different port timing. Also, open up any Novarossi engine and you wont find anything in there either except for a 'turbo flute' on the crankshaft which the RB also has.
+ buy any Nova or RB and you can be sure that the thing will last. The components used on these engines are second to none.

p.s. Visit the Sirio thread, and you will find some very unhappy people there. No doubt the motors are fast but they use rubbish carbs and break crankshafts very easily and frequently...
Old 08-25-2005, 03:46 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I agree, the Novarossi engines are very reliable engines. I have heard the same about RB engines, which is why I am looking to buy one.

If this is the great Rody Roem, I have to say, its a pleasure talking to one of the best tuners out there. Thanks for visiting this thread.

Quick question...How does the RB V12 5 port, match up to the OS 12TZ 5 port, as far as performance? I dont mind paying the extra money to get the RB if I know for sure it'll beat an OS12TZ, or even my Mugen X12 engine.
, that is funny! Im not the real Rody Roem. I think the real Rody has a bit more manners than me and will not bag opposition engines like i do...

You can talk the the real Rody via rbproducts.com and he will personally reply to any questions you ask. Very nice guy and one of the smartest you will ever talk to.
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quick question...How does the RB V12 5 port, match up to the OS 12TZ 5 port, as far as performance? I dont mind paying the extra money to get the RB if I know for sure it'll beat an OS12TZ, or even my Mugen X12 engine.[/QUOTE]

Both are powerfull engine. If u wanna have the maximum power of V12, match up with RB Concept tuned pipe.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Snowboardgeek, where do you race? Just wondering.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:04 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Nitrodude, I race at Sun Valley. But I do work very close to your area...I work in Port Hueneme. I tried out Camarillo's race track, but felt it was too small.

Rody - My mistake

I should be getting that RB engine by next Tuesday. Thanks for the replies everyone. Lets keep this thread going! I dont want to limit this thread, to only my questions. RB engines from what I have heard, are right up there with Novarossi's. Lets keep the thread moving along!