RB Concepts .12 Speed

Old 08-31-2013, 09:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default RB Concepts .12 Speed

Just wondering if anyone had any information on this motor? The only place I have been able to find information is from the Amain site. RB's site doesn't even mention this motor..

What is it? I know its Novarossi based, but is it a N12T1? Or, is it 353'08 based?

My picco expired on me acouple weeks ago, and I am in the market for a new motor. But it has to be "budget"... As in Low Budget.. The wife is starting to get mad! I saw the Speed motor with exhaust for $200'ish.. Or I can get a 353'09 with exhaust for aprox $300. Just wondering if it going to be worth the extra cash.

CHeers,
Shawn.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:04 AM
HHH
Tech Regular

I was curious about the engine and my LHS had one on display that I asked and was allowed to open the back plate for a look inside. Was very basic, no turbo scoop on the crank, no visible tuning/hand finishing.

Even though this is superficial, I'd put my money on the 353 for racing -- unless your track is a very tight, low speed track.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HHH
I was curious about the engine and my LHS had one on display that I asked and was allowed to open the back plate for a look inside. Was very basic, no turbo scoop on the crank, no visible tuning/hand finishing.

Even though this is superficial, I'd put my money on the 353 for racing -- unless your track is a very tight, low speed track.
A fellow racer has one in his NT1. It runs VERY well! Our straight is around 180ft. It pulls strong . It makes for a great club racing engine. I'm not sure which Nova engine it would be comparable to. Good bang for the buck!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks for the input... I put another cheap picco in for now.. but I gotta order something else real soon. .. :-)

Managed to find a tare down of the SPeed .12. Shows a very basic motor, but for $125, what would you expect!

http://www.rcmag.fr/reviews/techniqu...12/speed12.htm

Shawn.

Last edited by Shawn68z; 09-02-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looked at some of the specs there. It really looks like the blue head Nova +12. Bore and stroke are a little different (probably to RB's spec) with an 11.5mm crank and 6.5mm carb (the Nova had a 5.4mm carb). No balancing, funky cuts on the sleeve, and likely steel bearings. But those +12s could really move. I'd seen them outrun a 353 (the original version; not sure about the '09 version)

For the price, it looks like you're getting a pretty stout motor that won't win any big races, but should be quite competitive at a club race. I'd snag one and keep it as a backup for that price
Old 09-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Initiate

This is a basic engine like the old junior modell.
Max RR3, Old RB Rody and JP FX engine was based on the same.
It has an old Efra crankshaft with a small hole in it and will give you long run time.
It's a very good engine for the money and should be used with 2601,2602 and 2604 pipe. Can also use 2669 pipe.
Easy to modifie if you know what you do.
It's not based on the legendary +12 engine
Old 09-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You're probably right. I couldn't find a Nova to match it in the out of production line, but it definitely looks like a dead ringer for the RR3. I could probably figure it out if I looked some more.

One thing we can agree on though, that +12 was indeed a legend. While I've seen firsthand plenty of people have issues with 353s and JP Eagles, I rarely saw a slow +12 (which is why I copped a JP +12 when I found it. Absolutely screamed). I'd get a +12 as a backup right now if I was racing.