Originally Posted by balum_balum
I have a few questions to ask about that engine maintenance.
1. How often do you disassemble your engine and check everything inside? After every race? Two or three races?
2. How often do you change the con rod?
And how often to change bearings? At same time or different?
3 Do you change the wrist pin with con rod, or at all?
4 How long should the piston and sleeve last? and are the replacement kits worth getting or just go for a whole new engine?
1. Every 2-4 liters or when the engine sounds funny and/or loses its tune frequently.
2. Immediately after break in for a new engine. Then: Nova N2 or OS every 6 liters (for 1/10) or when idle issues or loses tune and inspect and find play in bushing. I used to also always change the bearings but now i don't think it is necessary unless noise or bearing does not feel smooth when you turn it in its race with your finger. I find if you use a lot of good after run oil, disassemble and cap the pipe and carb openings after each run, change the rod frequently, use new air filters each outing and keep the engine clean on the outside (I.e. front bearing gap behind flywheel) the bearings can last a real long time.
3. Always! Is cheap and hard to see play in this area if it exists. Is just as bad as play on the other end of the rod.
4. For nova until the engine won't keep a tune or you get bored (for me = 8-12L). Other engine bases much less in general for 1/10 .12 engines. Based on my little experience with 1/8 .21 engines about half of this amount. I have only once seen a piston and sleeve replacement work well so I am not a big fan of this option. Get a new engine and a extra conrod to change out right after break-in.