R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #121
Tech Adept
 
Flyin Hawaiian1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
Modifications are allowed. As long as the engine still conforms to the rules.
For those of you that want to keep up with the Factory guys...........You need to talk to Uriah Murnan.......That's all I can say....
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
2015 teams/sponsors:
Serpentamerica/Desoto Racing, Murnan Modified Motors, VP powermaster Fuel, Sweep Racing USA, Speed Passion, BUKU performance products
Flyin Hawaiian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #122
Tech Elite
 
Pit-racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Cali/Texas
Posts: 2,241
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Coming to get you lil' andy.
__________________
www.igthobbies.com / Serpent Cobra GT / 748 TQ / Serpent Eryx 3.0 / Desoto Racing / Veytrex.com / JZRacing / Flo-Control
Pit-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #123
Tech Champion
 
FastPete's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,202
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian1 View Post
For those of you that want to keep up with the Factory guys...........You need to talk to Uriah Murnan.......That's all I can say....
Oh WOW really?
__________________
Authorized Dealer for /Agama / Tekno / Team Associated / Schelle / Hobbywing / PT Racing Shock & Diff oil / Serpent / Tekin / JConcepts / AKA / Proline / Savox / M2C / Picco / www.fiercercsolutions.com Like us on facebook www.facebook.com/FierceRCSolutions
FastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #124
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 33
Default fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian1 View Post
For those of you that want to keep up with the Factory guys...........You need to talk to Uriah Murnan.......That's all I can say....
That's a fact jack
Jimmy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #125
Tech Elite
 
Pit-racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Cali/Texas
Posts: 2,241
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian1 View Post
For those of you that want to keep up with the Factory guys...........You need to talk to Uriah Murnan.......That's all I can say....
So you're saying the factory guys all run mm's? Or to try to catch them with what they're using you need a mm's? That's all I'm asking.....someone once told me it's all in the set-up.
__________________
www.igthobbies.com / Serpent Cobra GT / 748 TQ / Serpent Eryx 3.0 / Desoto Racing / Veytrex.com / JZRacing / Flo-Control
Pit-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #126
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 265
Default

any comments if i were to install with a Reds Racing M7 WCS?
xscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #127
Tech Elite
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,667
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xscape View Post
any comments if i were to install with a Reds Racing M7 WCS?
I've seen racers run the M7 in the GT, but they were looking for a larger heat sink, as the airflow in the GT body is not nearly as good as an 1/8 open.. Reds engine needs to run cooler that a novarossi.

I have a 5R that I will have available for ROAR rule events, so 5 ports and 7mm restrictor.
__________________
Darkside, Sweep, BSR, Fantom, IGT Hobbies and IGT8
Byrons Fuel, ProtoForm Bodies & Futaba Radio Gear by Choice
Founding Member of CORRC .... 5280raceway
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #128
Tech Elite
 
Pit-racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Cali/Texas
Posts: 2,241
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

So to comply with ROAR rules on an engine it has to be a bone stock not tuned version 5port? Or any modifications with a 6mm venturi?
__________________
www.igthobbies.com / Serpent Cobra GT / 748 TQ / Serpent Eryx 3.0 / Desoto Racing / Veytrex.com / JZRacing / Flo-Control
Pit-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #129
Tech Adept
 
Flyin Hawaiian1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit-racer View Post
So to comply with ROAR rules on an engine it has to be a bone stock not tuned version 5port? Or any modifications with a 6mm venturi?
Up to ANY .21 5 port engines with 7mm venturi or smaller.
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
2015 teams/sponsors:
Serpentamerica/Desoto Racing, Murnan Modified Motors, VP powermaster Fuel, Sweep Racing USA, Speed Passion, BUKU performance products
Flyin Hawaiian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:27 AM   #130
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,424
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian1 View Post
Up to ANY .21 5 port engines with 7mm venturi or smaller.
Crazy rule.....

So you can buy a stock 5 port engine, let it modify for high costs, put in some expensive ceramic bearings while for the same price you can get a Virtus......
__________________
Speed is only fiction but a 130+km/h MRS4 is for real.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:40 AM   #131
Tech Fanatic
 
Joseph16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 787
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Crazy rule.....

So you can buy a stock 5 port engine, let it modify for high costs, put in some expensive ceramic bearings while for the same price you can get a Virtus......
Theres no need for ceramic bearings to run Gt!
__________________
Serpent America & Desoto Racing.
Picco - Arrowmax.
PT RC Racing Oils.
Neal Smith Mods.
Alpha Tires and Body.
Joseph16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #132
Tech Fanatic
 
Joe Kimble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 858
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Kimble
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Crazy rule.....

So you can buy a stock 5 port engine, let it modify for high costs, put in some expensive ceramic bearings while for the same price you can get a Virtus......
I agree with you it's not a great rule... Jose is right we don't need ceramics in a GT but we do run modified engines for sure. And they are crazy fast engines weather it's Murnan or Clockworks.
Some GT racers run non modified high end 5 port engines such as the RB BXR DI5 which is a monster powerhouse or screamers like the REDS 5 port but they still are disadvantaged compared to guys who can use the potential of a modified engine.
In my opinion this rule does not even-up the field, because it requires more knowledge to run a modified (or very fast) 5 port engine efficiently and not everyone has that knowledge nor is willing to incur the cost of sending their engine out.
At the end of the day it's great to have strict rules for everyone to comply with, but I'm not a fan of this one because it doesn't serve the purpose is was created for. For one it doesn't keep us from running ballistic engines and also there is still a big variety of engines on the track. In my opinion, the IGT8F spec rules had some great ideas but the GT8 field is not big enough right now to separate "open" and "spec"...
Just my 2 cents
__________________
Serpent America
Sweep USA
RCShox
Joe Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #133
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,424
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Sure you do not have to run ceramics as this counts for more than 90% of the drivers in any competition. But look on these forums, even a starter asking which engine to buy shall be informed to get a Murnan. Also a lot of drivers "feel" they do need ceramics as also the same group of drivers still think 9 poorts are needed to go faster than a 5 port not knowing the the real reason what makes an engine fast.

Such rules are normally to lower the costs and make the performance more equal. A nice but bad thought if a modify to the extreeme is alowed....
__________________
Speed is only fiction but a 130+km/h MRS4 is for real.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #134
Tech Fanatic
 
Joe Kimble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 858
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Kimble
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Sure you do not have to run ceramics as this counts for more than 90% of the drivers in any competition. But look on these forums, even a starter asking which engine to buy shall be informed to get a Murnan. Also a lot of drivers "feel" they do need ceramics as also the same group of drivers still think 9 poorts are needed to go faster than a 5 port not knowing the the real reason what makes an engine fast.

Such rules are normally to lower the costs and make the performance more equal. A nice but bad thought if a modify to the extreeme is alowed....
Agreed. Yes telling a starter to get a modified engine will only help him get frustrated I'm sure since he/she will either blow it or put the car straight into the boards.
To be honest I'm still doing a lot of reading about what makes an engine fast. From what I read/heard there are many things such as timing and balancing on the crankshaft, position of the sleeve and height of the ports and exhaust ports, size of the ports and of course pipe and header choice.
Still not exactly sure what exactly does what. Only thing I really noticed is that with the silicone ramp in crankshaft the engine spools up faster and is more reactive. And even then the timing had probably been altered on top of adding a silicone ramp so not sure of the exact contribution of the silicone ramp compared to timing...
Is true that a modified 5 port is just as fast if not faster than any 9 port I have (I tested this only in GT, for 8th scale I don't know).
About your last point, I agree. This is exactly why this rule is useless. At the end of the day it's really difficult to control the engines, unless they are sealed and hand out at the event. lol
__________________
Serpent America
Sweep USA
RCShox
Joe Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #135
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 174
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kimble View Post
Agreed. Yes telling a starter to get a modified engine will only help him get frustrated I'm sure since he/she will either blow it or put the car straight into the boards.
To be honest I'm still doing a lot of reading about what makes an engine fast. From what I read/heard there are many things such as timing and balancing on the crankshaft, position of the sleeve and height of the ports and exhaust ports, size of the ports and of course pipe and header choice.
Still not exactly sure what exactly does what. Only thing I really noticed is that with the silicone ramp in crankshaft the engine spools up faster and is more reactive. And even then the timing had probably been altered on top of adding a silicone ramp so not sure of the exact contribution of the silicone ramp compared to timing...
Is true that a modified 5 port is just as fast if not faster than any 9 port I have (I tested this only in GT, for 8th scale I don't know).
About your last point, I agree. This is exactly why this rule is useless. At the end of the day it's really difficult to control the engines, unless they are sealed and hand out at the event. lol
Agreed. The silicone helps but the power generally comes from the alignment of crank timing to sleeve/piston matching...
__________________
V-one-RR Evo,V-one-RRR (WC hopped-up),2007 Evolva,
Spada 09,MR-02,MR-03
Inferno GT2. Serpent Cobra GT
KF01 - F1, Serpent Viper 977WC, Serpent Natrix 748
1FastVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro On-Road 9643 11-16-2016 04:11 AM
European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class djmachinist Nitro On-Road 4176 11-12-2016 06:28 PM
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! snrscion Electric On-Road 3416 05-05-2016 01:10 PM
Nitro On-Road Addict sa RC Manila Racers 12522 12-27-2015 06:51 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:57 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0