Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeve Pinching

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

Default Sleeve Pinching

I have read a few threads where sleeve pinching is mentioned but no true meat and potatoes regarding the subject. How effective is "pinching" and does the engine respond like a new engine? Will I have to go through the break-in process again and where is the best place to send the piston and sleeve for pinching?

Thanks,
Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

why not just buy a new piston & sleeve?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LSVTIEG
why not just buy a new piston & sleeve?
I can do that. However, I am more interested in knowing more about sleeve pinching and its effectiveness. Any responses to that end is appreciated.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 137 (98%+)

ive had many of them done and only had one that was to tight yes a u will need to break in as needed. and it saves money untill its really needed i used os rocket out of ohio.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ashxxx
ive had many of them done and only had one that was to tight yes a u will need to break in as needed. and it saves money untill its really needed i used os rocket out of ohio.
That's what I'm talking about!! Thanks. What's the turn around time like?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Tech Initiate

I have used rayaracing before. After the pinch and break-in, a completely worn-out piston/sleeve got me through an entire season. Performance was good. So yes, it's a good way to extend the life of your engine and save some money.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by QuiXoTic_NL
I have used rayaracing before. After the pinch and break-in, a completely worn-out piston/sleeve got me through an entire season. Performance was good. So yes, it's a good way to extend the life of your engine and save some money.
Yeah, I will be sending mine out tomorrow. I checked out OS Rocket's site, and that seem like a good place. I will look into Rayaracing and decide between the two. Thanks for the feed-back.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Tech Lord

I have done a lot .21 engines and was payed with just a hamburger on the track and all were very satisfied
Old 04-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof
I have done a lot .21 engines and was payed with just a hamburger on the track and all were very satisfied
Roelof:

How are you my man? I was hoping you would comment on this issue. I think I will send the piston and sleeve out tomorrow. However, I would like to be able to do my own sleeves. Any idea where I can buy the equipment to start doing my own? Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Z'Stein
I can do that. However, I am more interested in knowing more about sleeve pinching and its effectiveness. Any responses to that end is appreciated.
You have to replace the matter than has worn away if you dont, once the pinch warms up and expands against the block, I'd expect you to be low on compression and expect it may be hard to tune .

PS: I could be wrong.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by blis
You have to replace the matter than has worn away if you dont, once the pinch warms up and expands against the block, I'd expect you to be low on compression and expect it may be hard to tune .

PS: I could be wrong.
I don't quite understand what you are saying. Can you explain it as if you are talking to a 5 year old. I think I will get it then.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Z'Stein
I don't quite understand what you are saying. Can you explain it as if you are talking to a 5 year old. I think I will get it then.
As I said I could be wrong and many prove that it works. To answer you, what I mean is an engine loses compression because the piston and liner wear away. Once that material is gone, it's gone!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by blis
As I said I could be wrong and many prove that it works. To answer you, what I mean is an engine loses compression because the piston and liner wear away. Once that material is gone, it's gone!
Actually, I think you "are" wrong. The purpose of pinching the sleeve is to re-gain compression/tighten the sleeve as if is new, or better, to start the process of "fresh motor" over. Thanks for your comment though.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Surely the hard chromed liner wears much slower than the comparitively soft aluminium piston. Does just replacing the piston after a while help?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
Surely the hard chromed liner wears much slower than the comparitively soft aluminium piston. Does just replacing the piston after a while help?
They must be available.....

Problem with our kind of engines is that the piston and sleeve have matching materials regarding the expansion. Materials can change due different suppliers so there is a chance that the piston of one production serie does not match the sleeve of other. Beside that due tolerances the dimensions aren't equal, they can differ up to some microns so you must have several pistons try to match your sleeve in size. To prevent that they just deliver a compleete matching P/S set.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.