Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Stocking a Shop with Engines >

Stocking a Shop with Engines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stocking a Shop with Engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 05:43 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Default Stocking a Shop with Engines

Alright, so we're about to order all of our nitro supplies for our little hobby shop here in San Diego. I have a decent handle on the nitro scene but have not really been racing during the past year due to my various obligations. So, I'm going to ask for a bit of help.

I'd like to stock a reasonably full line of engines (and accessories) from drop-in monster truck horsepower upgrades on up to full blown .21 racing engines. Obviously with it being a new business, I don't want to buy the farm just yet, but I want to have a decent selection that will satisfy most everybody.

Anybody have any recommendations for stuff to carry? I will probably start with a full basic line from somebody like O.S. (or something else that is popular here in the US that people recognize), and then start adding other stuff based on what is popular.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Stocking a Shop with Engines

My first suggestion is internal engine parts, like conrods, wrist pin, piston and sleeve set for the engine lines you are planning to stock!

From what I can see right now, Conrod is an hard to get item and when you come across one they are usually pretty pricy

Just my $0.02

Originally posted by futureal
Alright, so we're about to order all of our nitro supplies for our little hobby shop here in San Diego. I have a decent handle on the nitro scene but have not really been racing during the past year due to my various obligations. So, I'm going to ask for a bit of help.

I'd like to stock a reasonably full line of engines (and accessories) from drop-in monster truck horsepower upgrades on up to full blown .21 racing engines. Obviously with it being a new business, I don't want to buy the farm just yet, but I want to have a decent selection that will satisfy most everybody.

Anybody have any recommendations for stuff to carry? I will probably start with a full basic line from somebody like O.S. (or something else that is popular here in the US that people recognize), and then start adding other stuff based on what is popular.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default rex

Rex motors have been pretty popular in the So Cal area. Give Richard a call at 775 782 4562. You can check out the Rex line at www.rjvracingproducts.com .
Old 12-18-2004, 01:19 AM
Tech Addict

OS is a good range due to their parts availability and also variety in product line. Problem arises because Great Plane distributing is the only place to get them in the US and their markup is horrible especially when trying to compete with Tower Hobbies.

Thing is they have really hot .18's in the lineup that you really shouldnt pass up. They really are very popular. I dont know the markup on the .18 but they are better than stocking OS .12's.

Fantom engines are almost OS equivalents as far as pricing and performance/reliability. It may be a better option for "sport" or budget engines compared to OS because of the forementioned problem with Great Plane.

Those are the two manufacturers that I would consider if you want a very broad demographic. Novarossi/Top/Rex/RB are great for higher end race engines obviously, but a good replacement over them is Sirio. Just looking at high performance .12's, the Sirio Evo 2 is 190 versus the Nova's NSR series being in the mid to high 200's. Better value for the dollar and without sacrificing much on performance (I mean, they do hold the 1/8 ifmar title )
Old 12-18-2004, 03:31 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Thanks for the info everybody, keep it coming!

I am definitely going more for satisfying customers than for looking at markups right now, although I have had the same problems with GP. I think they are selling TC4 kits for $200 right now, which is about $12 more than they charged me for them.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:10 AM
Tech Addict

i dont know how the new mega engines from serpent/picco pans out as far as performance/reliability but if they are decent then i would consider them because serpent usa does keep prices in check and as far as i know doesnt undercut you to poverty the way GP does.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't forget the RD Logics engine lines. we have excellent service parts and price. we have both price and margin. We have added a great number of products the last 6 months. And we are in Torrance.
Dennis Richey
www.rdlogics.com
Old 12-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For the big block monster trucks, pick up some .28s, Wasp, RB. For the small block monsters get the OS .18 and the Sirio .23. 1/10 scale on-road, I think any of the NovaRossi based engines are great. I love my the NS12 S3. Sirio Makes a mean .12 evo 2, and for a great price. My next engine will be a Murnan Mod evo2, unless Motorman can get the red tape cut on his engine by the time I need it. His engine (Motorman's) should be a great engine. And from what he's been saying about the price.... I just want one. Anyway..... 1/10 scale gas truck, just about any .12 will do. They don't need any power. I like the OS .12 CV-R or the TR or racing. 1/8 scale buggy.... Well, all the brands have there "race" engine. I have a .21 OS V-Spec. I like it. For the money though, look into the Mac engines. They keep up with everything and at a lower price. For those who have to have the best, Andy Brown makes a mod version. 1/8 scale on-road: I don't know a thing. I'd like to know more, but never seen one run. Don't have anywhere around here they could run.

I've worked at my LHS for the last two years and raced for longer. This is just what I've seen in our area as to what to put into a hobby store. If my shop owner had any of the above mentioned engines, he would have sold a lot more than he has. No one in my local club has bought their engines at the store.

Good luck with the store.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:26 AM
Tech Rookie

i would stay away from fantom i have had nothing but trouble with my 27. where in sd are you located
Old 05-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Regional Moderator

Here, almost no shop wants to carry Novarossi since the price is raising everytime but the selling price is also dropping.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Definately RB engines. Great engines! Power, driveability, reliability!
www.rbproducts.com
Old 05-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Check out STS engines they have a full line of motors .12's all the way up to .28 big blocks. Dino.tw is almost always on here to answer any questions on tuning. Oh yea and they are reasonably priced.

Congrats and Good luck.

http://www.stsrc.com.tw/news.php

http://www.projectzen.net/