Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS 12 TzR

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Do people consider the TZ to be a hot engine. Even while on rich settings the engine runs quite hot. I am using the p6 plug with 15% Nitro and 16% oil. Air temperature is around about 18c. What plugs are people using?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rs4lola
Hey all you os tz engine owners, how would you rate the tz over the NovaRossi rr12 (which obviously i have...)?? The rr12 is a long stroke and has fantastic bottom end for great acceleration on a short track. Looked at the numbers form article saying 5-port tz makes over 1.8hp/38000 rpm. Impressive..can anyone confirm how this 5-port tz runs?? Willing to change as I know the os is cheaper too...
I ran a tz 5 ports against my friends rr12L5. It was in a parking lot. The distance was about 10 times the width of a parking space. His acceleration was faster, but at the end, we were pretty much even. Also, it depends on the setup/gear ratio/etc.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Cagger... What do you consider a hot motor??? If you're running 15% nitro and 20% oil, I would try the P3 plug. Both the P3 and P6 are hot plugs, but the P3 is newer and gives alittle better performance... What does your motor temp at after running it hard for 4-5 mins??? If you're temping 230-240* that's fine. If you're temp is like 260* and higher then you're running alittle bit to lean and or one of you're needles on your carb is set to lean.. You always want to see some smoke coming out of the pipe and check for ail leaks as well... You might want to also change the fuel you're using as well as checking your carb settings... My TZ screams at 220* F and that temp is when the tank is empty after running a 5min main... I'm running 30% nitro, with about 14% oil and the OS P8 cold plug... Summer time temp of 90* out here is SoCal... There's more info needed to answer your question correctly...

RC_Alan
Old 07-07-2005, 04:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

There is plenty of smoke coming out and both the HS and LS needles are set near the stock position. I dont have a temp gun so i cant tell the exact temp but i have tried pouring a little bit of fuel onto the engine head and seeing the effect. At the moment it boils off straight away or sits their for about 1/2 a second before boiling off. The engine head feels quite hot to touch. I will be doing some testing tommorow so i will assess the results, im pretty sure its the LS needle thats causing the problem. Im using (15% oil) to correct you.

I think i might be over-reacting. How hot should the engine head feel?

Last edited by caggers; 07-07-2005 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caggers
There is plenty of smoke coming out and both the HS and LS needles are set near the stock position. I dont have a temp gun so i cant tell the exact temp but i have tried pouring a little bit of fuel onto the engine head and seeing the effect. At the moment it boils off straight away or sits their for about 1/2 a second before boiling off. The engine head feels quite hot to touch. I will be doing some testing tommorow so i will assess the results, im pretty sure its the LS needle thats causing the problem. Im using (15% oil) to correct you.

The best thing you can do is go to your LHS and get a temp gun, there are some out there for under $50.00 US. You can also find some from radio Shack that have been very accurate in the past for around 30.00. This is something that will greatly help in tuning and the life of the engine.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by caggers

You should be using a drop of water to do the spit test. The water should bubble slowly off the head. If it sizzles of quickly, its too hot. If it just sits there, its too cold. It should be quite hot to the touch. If you can grab the head and hold on, its really too cold.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

I have a TZ T3 on my Adam Drake 2 stadium truck and it is running at 190 to 195.The amount of power that the TZ has is unreal.I run 10% oil,P-6 plug and i have taken the .02 head shim off.What i like so much is i don't have to touch the needles,It really keeps its tune.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Default tz run on problem

hey guys
i have a problem with my tz 3 port in my fw05rr

now im not sure if its the clutch grabbing or ifs an engine tune problem

what happens is that after a few minutes of driving i get this engine run on problem.

this run on occurs after a full throttlw run, it sounds like the engine is still running even after i closed the throttle. ive tried richening the low end and bottom end but no difference made.

im pretty sure its the clutch setup, the tune seams fine as it takes off nice and clean and has plenty of smoke in the top end.

i am using 16% trinity fuel with a p6 plug, i had the exact same setup on my tr r spec withut any of these problems.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrgsr
hey guys
i have a problem with my tz 3 port in my fw05rr

now im not sure if its the clutch grabbing or ifs an engine tune problem

what happens is that after a few minutes of driving i get this engine run on problem.

this run on occurs after a full throttlw run, it sounds like the engine is still running even after i closed the throttle. ive tried richening the low end and bottom end but no difference made.

im pretty sure its the clutch setup, the tune seams fine as it takes off nice and clean and has plenty of smoke in the top end.

i am using 16% trinity fuel with a p6 plug, i had the exact same setup on my tr r spec withut any of these problems.
I had the same problem with My RB on my NTC3 but it had nothing to do with the engine. My problem was a broken one-way bearing in the gearbox... It used to happen intermitently. When i'd come to stop, it sounded like the engine was free reving. When it happens, check to see if your spur gears are turning without the shaft turning. If this is happening, thats your problem.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sofast-NT
I have a TZ T3 on my Adam Drake 2 stadium truck and it is running at 190 to 195.The amount of power that the TZ has is unreal.I run 10% oil,P-6 plug and i have taken the .02 head shim off.What i like so much is i don't have to touch the needles,It really keeps its tune.
i agree with you.... osengines keep their tune no matter what time of the day... no major needle adjustments once you get the engine tuning right
Old 07-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

caggers,

You might be running the wrong fuel. 15% nitro fuel I beleive is intended for planes. 16% is the minimum for IFMAR (Europe).

I would switch fuel first before you go nuts.

john
Old 07-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quick Q for you guys... the specs on the TZs have the SG motors using 1/4-28 standard threads on the crankshaft, and 5mm diameter with 0.8 pitch threads on the "threaded" shaft motors.

Is this correct? Seems to completely fly in the face of every other SG shaft motor out there. If this is correct, then what the heck are you guys using for clutch nuts? I plan on using one in an NTC3, and I know the clutch nuts for SG shafts from Associated are metric for every motor out there. Does anyone have on in a NTC3 out there? Should be a direct drop-in, right?

Is this a typo? I'm confused.

The FS26S-C from OS is a 4-stroke that uses 1/4-28 threads on the crank, and I'm exploring options for adapting standard Associated TC/GT clutches to that engine.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Ok, one more question... given that the prices for the 3-port and the 5-port are identical, tell me why I should choose one over the other?

I'm leaning toward the 5-port, though I don't like the silver head. If anyone wants to swap for a new blue 3-port head...
Old 07-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Jye
Tech Regular

Some guys say they've seen this engine keep up with novarossi'd jp's sirio's and all the rest in that class, some say on the higher speed tracks the tz doesnt keep up. JP's run around 400, correct me if im wrong, and the tz 5 port can be bought for 210? Is the performance of jp and similar engine's worth a 200 dollar or more diffrence? Personally for 200 more, it should be on a COMPLETLY other level of performance, but from what i hear, it really isnt.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jye
Some guys say they've seen this engine keep up with novarossi'd jp's sirio's and all the rest in that class, some say on the higher speed tracks the tz doesnt keep up. JP's run around 400, correct me if im wrong, and the tz 5 port can be bought for 210? Is the performance of jp and similar engine's worth a 200 dollar or more diffrence? Personally for 200 more, it should be on a COMPLETLY other level of performance, but from what i hear, it really isnt.

yup.agree.i saw a couple of tz's run,and they scream

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.