MEGA (by Picco) thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H
Because Picco is earning enough money from OFNA, the engine's produced for Serpent (Mega), Ielasi (IDM), and Solaroli, are hard to get, and probably not there 1st priority.....
Hopefully in the near future Picco will step up the process, and deliver more engines to these 3 clients.
Certainly because 2 other engine brands (will not mention names here ) are having issue's at the moment, it is a good time to have these Picco based engines on stock in the LHS......

Actully the IDM line is available and is not in short supply. We have been importing the engine line now for almost 1 year with no issues with supply. I cannot speak for the other engines I just can speak for my own. The IDM engines are avalable from selected hobby shops and also from us as well. If you need anything for the IDM engine line please feel free to contact us at [email protected].
Old 09-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by verlassen
is any of the picco crankcase can fit the zx21 sport ?

a friend of mine had just broke the conrod during practice and the rod went straight thru the crankcase. Anybody tried swaping the zx21 sport crankcase with a picco one ?
I have used JB Weld in this case, if it is a practice motor with no problem.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by verlassen
is any of the picco crankcase can fit the zx21 sport ?

a friend of mine had just broke the conrod during practice and the rod went straight thru the crankcase. Anybody tried swaping the zx21 sport crankcase with a picco one ?
Go ahead swap the case, the internals will fit without a problem.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Go ahead swap the case, the internals will fit without a problem.
Thanks for the reply, which case should he swap ? the P7R ?

Thank you all for replies.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Mega ZX12 for my Serpent 720(Have a Mega SP and is kinda slow). I have a local retailer, www.rc-car-exklusive.com, and they sell many versions of the ZX12:

-.12 3P Mega ZX12 DSII+Race MS,
-.12 3P Mega ZX12 DSII+Race MS Powerpack,
-.12 3P Mega ZX12 DSII+Race MS E-Mo,
-.12 3P Mega ZX12 DSII+Race MS Powerpack E-Mo,
-.12 3P Mega ZX12 SPEED
Can a few of you tell me whats what please because I have no clue whats good, fast, cheap, and reliable. I have no clue what comes with what and so on so please help me out if you know what it is. I also want to know which ones come with a muffler and manifold so if you know please tell me.

I also want to know if the ZX12 is even a good engine and what parts need to be replaced often. I read earlier that the conrod needs replacing every few gallons. Why is this so, and how much are they?

luismx123
Old 10-01-2007, 04:40 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by luismx123
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Mega ZX12 for my Serpent 720(Have a Mega SP and is kinda slow). I have a local retailer, www.rc-car-exklusive.com, and they sell many versions of the ZX12:

-.12 3P Mega ZX12 DSII+Race MS,
-.12 3P Mega ZX12 DSII+Race MS Powerpack,
-.12 3P Mega ZX12 DSII+Race MS E-Mo,
-.12 3P Mega ZX12 DSII+Race MS Powerpack E-Mo,
-.12 3P Mega ZX12 SPEED
Can a few of you tell me whats what please because I have no clue whats good, fast, cheap, and reliable. I have no clue what comes with what and so on so please help me out if you know what it is. I also want to know which ones come with a muffler and manifold so if you know please tell me.

I also want to know if the ZX12 is even a good engine and what parts need to be replaced often. I read earlier that the conrod needs replacing every few gallons. Why is this so, and how much are they?

luismx123
As you know Mega ZX engines are made by Picco for Serpent, and current Picco engines are at par in performance with any of the fastest engines out there.

THe powerpacks come with pipe included, which is the best pipe for the engine.

The E-Mo engines are hand modified by Edoardo Picco himself, so expect top performance out of them.

Conrods need to be replaced in all brands after 2 hours use, so here is the same. Forget all you've heard in the past..all new Picco engines have conrod issues solved.

SO if I where you I'd get the -.12 3P Mega ZX12 DSII+Race MS Powerpack E-Mo.

AFM
Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Just to let you guys know that the Eduardo modified engines are called "EDO" not E-MO.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

Thanks alot afm. The package you said is a bit costly in my opinion so I'll go for the .12 3P Mega ZX12 DSII+Race MS Powerpack.

About the conrod, how much are they, and how do I know if any conrod would fit the Mega ZX12? What happens if you don't change it?
I'm not a guy with alot of money so paying $30(estimated conrod) every 2 hours of driving isn't realy what I want to be doing. Is there a way to run it for longer, and are there any durable conrods out there that last longer for the Mega ZX12? And finally, what happens to the conrod that makes it needing replacement?

luismx123
Old 10-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I hate to say this but no. The engines are the fastest they have ever been and they are winging around 41k. They will stretch or break the rod due to the stress and load. So it is my opinion that for the 30 dollars you need to spend to replace the conrod 3 times in the motors life is much cheaper then the motor when you blast the rod out the side of the case. Which will happen if left unchanged. You can try breaking the engine in with the rod it comes with then, take that rod out. Save it for another break in cycle on another motor or piston/sleeve combo. Run the new rod you just put in for around 1and 1/2 gallons max then change it. You can save a little there. Maybe a bit of help. That is what we do when we break the team engines in.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you wanna save money don't buy a mega engine.
It's just a fact that you'll have to change the conrod's more often.
The jp stock engines cost the same, are faster and the conrod's will last easily 8 liters of fuel.
You only need to change it after break because of the extreme pinch of these engines.
Also the glowplugs from nova are cheaper(about half the price) and will last much longer.
And the jp engines are really easy to tune and i understand you are a beginner and then a mega engine is pretty hard to tune.
b
ut if you want to change the piston/ sleeve set that's pretty expensive for a nova, and a mega set is really cheap in that.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

Does anyone know about the Mega SP12 engine? Is it any good? Is it anymore relliable than the ZX?

luismx123
Old 10-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This is a rough estimate but if you take the general rule of thumb of changing the rod every two gallons the math works out like this.

Red Dot $180.00

Nova Plus 12-3 ct $350.00

Change the rod twice in each motor and you come up with

$260 total for the Red Dot over 5 gallons or 18 liters.

$410 total for the Plus 12-3ct over 5 gallons or 18 liters.

For someone just getting into the hobby and they are trying to save some money, a Picco motor would be the way to go. They are fast and from what I've seen they are also durable.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
This is a rough estimate but if you take the general rule of thumb of changing the rod every two gallons the math works out like this.

Red Dot $180.00

Nova Plus 12-3 ct $350.00

Change the rod twice in each motor and you come up with

$260 total for the Red Dot over 5 gallons or 18 liters.

$410 total for the Plus 12-3ct over 5 gallons or 18 liters.

For someone just getting into the hobby and they are trying to save some money, a Picco motor would be the way to go. They are fast and from what I've seen they are also durable.
Very good explanation Brilliant! and The Mega/Picco engines are actually easy to tune.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:48 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
If you wanna save money don't buy a mega engine.
It's just a fact that you'll have to change the conrod's more often.
The jp stock engines cost the same, are faster and the conrod's will last easily 8 liters of fuel.
This is only true if your LHS is called "modelsport" who is the Dutch distributor for JP engines, and you listen to much to Peter from Modelsport....
but if you want to change the piston/ sleeve set that's pretty expensive for a nova, and a mega set is really cheap in that.
Is Mega Cheap, or is Nova crazy expensive.....
Old 10-03-2007, 03:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

Thanks for your explanation, it realy helps. But what is as Red dot? And why only change the rod twice? Was that an example?

luismx123

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.