Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Picco TORQUE versus Novarossi topic >

Picco TORQUE versus Novarossi topic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picco TORQUE versus Novarossi topic

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by stefan
I just measured our Torque Edo (2 of them) and both cranks open at 28 ° and close at 35°
Not sure if I understand the closing degrees correctly? I think the normal is about 60-70degrees? How can it be 35?

-X-
Old 11-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by MRX4XXXX
.. That's what we are waiting for(the information), to know what to buy for next summer.

-X-
It would be interesting to see which answer Novarossi has if that change will happen. If they are not on time a huge shift will happen....

For the guys outside Europe wanting to know where we going to talk about:
http://news.efra.ws/fileadmin/news/2...track%20v2.pdf

Also in the main agenda there are some proposals about the exhaust homologation:
http://news.efra.ws/fileadmin/news/2...eting%20V2.pdf
Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Brent,

we have raised the sleeve on a Torque by 0.1 and 0.2 mm in order to gain top end.
We did, but it hurt the fuel consumption.
I rather gear the Piccos a bit longer than Novas to get the same top speed.
What also helped to gain some revs w/o hurting fuel consumption is using the Nova medium conical header with the Picco 2033 pipe.

My son is still running with a pretty smooth gas finger (will probably be spoiled soon) and he makes 5 minutes with the Torque, doing the same lap times as other people who run NR Flash and only make 3:30.

This has given us the edge in several races this year and I will try to conserv that advantage as long as possible.

Once he is going completely "point & shoot" and won't make the 5 min anymore, I will start modding the Torque towards top end...
raising the sleeve timing, did it hurt the bottom end at all?

What are your thoughts of this Picco TQ .21 compared to the 35Plus21 engines? I am a drag racer and fuel consumption is not a concern of mine rather just having an engine with TONS of bottom end grunt and mid range. My current Kangaroo has been 90.2 MPH from a dead stop up to 132' pass which is ballistic for that short of a distance.

Thanks to all for your input.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Brent Davis

What are your thoughts of this Picco TQ .21 compared to the 35Plus21 engines? I am a drag racer and fuel consumption is not a concern of mine rather just having an engine with TONS of bottom end grunt and mid range. My current Kangaroo has been 90.2 MPH from a dead stop up to 132' pass which is ballistic for that short of a distance.

Whenever you change timing either sleeve or crank there is a give and get. When you raise the sleeve timing you will hurt some of the bottom end. My opinion the picco based engines all have alot of torque to them by there nature so loosing some may not effect it quite the same way another engine would be effected. Of course depending on how high we lift the sleeve.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roelof
It would be interesting to see which answer Novarossi has if that change will happen. If they are not on time a huge shift will happen....

For the guys outside Europe wanting to know where we going to talk about:
http://news.efra.ws/fileadmin/news/2...track%20v2.pdf

Also in the main agenda there are some proposals about the exhaust homologation:
http://news.efra.ws/fileadmin/news/2...eting%20V2.pdf
We still run 5 minute qualifiers here in the USA and Novarossi engines dominated the ROAR Nationals last month. The current Nova engines are actually very efficient and can be set up to run 5 minutes quite easily.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Wow, 90+MPH in 132'!!! That Kangaroo is a great engine. Congrats!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ShepherdAmerica
Whenever you change timing either sleeve or crank there is a give and get. When you raise the sleeve timing you will hurt some of the bottom end. My opinion the picco based engines all have alot of torque to them by there nature so loosing some may not effect it quite the same way another engine would be effected. Of course depending on how high we lift the sleeve.
Understood. Was just wondering if anyone had actually gotten results from raising the sleeve for the higher timing, IF it hurt some bottom end at all.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by desotoracing
Yeah he's no slouch with the drag car.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes, 90+MPH in that distance. My teammate has been 92.2 MPH with his Kangaroo so the HP is there. We are just wondering about this Picco to see if it will make even more HP.....we shall see.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Tech Lord

We still run 5 minute qualifiers here in the USA and Novarossi engines dominated the ROAR Nationals last month. The current Nova engines are actually very efficient and can be set up to run 5 minutes quite easily.
As Stefan has mentioned I also have seen the current Flash engines refueling at 3:30 and running empty at 4:00
Old 11-02-2011, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Hey cool! You wanna share how it's done?

I am sure the NR racers over here would really appreciate it.

Robert Pietsch's mechanic is always re-fuelling at 3:30 minutes when he runs 8th scale. :-)
Old 11-02-2011, 04:00 AM
Tech Elite

Understood. Was just wondering if anyone had actually gotten results from raising the sleeve for the higher timing, IF it hurt some bottom end at all.
As Roelof said, you'll always loose some bottom end when you try to gain top end, but I found it marginal.

I would imagine that the Torque would make a great drag engine with all that bottom end...
Old 11-02-2011, 04:23 AM
Tech Lord

Hey cool! You wanna share how it's done?

I am sure the NR racers over here would really appreciate it.

Robert Pietsch's mechanic is always re-fuelling at 3:30 minutes when he runs 8th scale. :-)
Probably it has to do with the type/size of the Europian circuits.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
Probably it has to do with the type/size of the Europian circuits.
90 seconds?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi Brent, I know about the timing. Roelof has posted engine timing a bit further down. where the Torque is listed with 30 -70 = 220° crank timing, which looked strange, especially in light of the awesome fuel consumption of these engines.
So I measured mine, and the are different.

I love the Torques, aside from some bearing problems we had early in the year.
It seems that it was only one of the very early batches (January -February) because later engines didn't have that problem.

The thing you need to get used to is the very low compression these engines seem to have when they are cold.
Some guys wanted to trash them, despite they were running awesome.
Just old Nova habits

The Torque has a different piston material that seems to expand when the engine gets to operating temps and then works great.
Very easy to break in and easy on the rods.
My IDM EVO 4 modified feels like it has low compression but it runs awesome. Starts easy and rarely flames out. I had a bearing go bad I replaced it and it's still going strong. Breaking in an IDM RCW and as expected it has a lot of torque.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.