R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   OFNA 51120 Picco .12 7-Port Engine Rear Exhaust Good or Junk? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/520600-ofna-51120-picco-12-7-port-engine-rear-exhaust-good-junk.html)

Jake C6R 06-06-2011 04:28 AM

OFNA 51120 Picco .12 7-Port Engine Rear Exhaust Good or Junk?

I am seeing these for sale for $70. Thinking about buying one for one of my NTC3s just for bashing. It seems like a good price, is there a reason these are so inexpensive? Are they no good or hard to tune? Worthwhile just for a dependable engine for fun?

Maxthepersonz 06-06-2011 08:40 PM

I have heard they are pretty good according to other reviews I have read, REALLY good for the price they are at I would say. I am debateing on picking one up for my XXX-NT anyone have further info?

Jake C6R 06-07-2011 07:59 PM

Anyone tried one of these?

Jake C6R 06-09-2011 07:48 PM

I'm thinking I may just try one of these and see how it does.

DJ_Shakespear 06-10-2011 02:50 AM

Picco is a good brand - should be a good engine. Won't run like the racing series, but you can't really go wrong with a Picco :D

Wazowski 06-10-2011 07:31 AM

Good

I just put one of these motors in my car and finished breaking it in a couple days ago. It is a fast motor with nice throttle response. I think with a little fine tuning it will be very competitive at my local track. A couple things I did notice is that the motor is very tight right out of the box so you really have to let it warm up first at idle especially during break in. The other thing is that even though it is a turbo motor the turbo is threaded for a standard plug. I don't know if this was just a mistake on my motor or if this is how these motors are designed. I have found conflicting info on this matter, however I used a standard hot plug and the motor ran just fine. I hope this helps

Jake C6R 06-10-2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wazowski (Post 9236116)
I just put one of these motors in my car and finished breaking it in a couple days ago. It is a fast motor with nice throttle response. I think with a little fine tuning it will be very competitive at my local track. A couple things I did notice is that the motor is very tight right out of the box so you really have to let it warm up first at idle especially during break in. The other thing is that even though it is a turbo motor the turbo is threaded for a standard plug. I don't know if this was just a mistake on my motor or if this is how these motors are designed. I have found conflicting info on this matter, however I used a standard hot plug and the motor ran just fine. I hope this helps

Thanks very much for the info! For the price of these things by the time you buy a piston & sleeve and connecting rod (not even counting bearings) for an old engine you get close to the price of one of these! Glad to know that it works well, I will definitely pick one up!

By the way, what exhaust are you using with this?

Wazowski 06-13-2011 09:22 AM

I bought a team solar manifold and pipe on eBay for $16 plus shipping. For a cheap pipe it's actually pretty decent. The only issue that I am having is that I don't have the clearance for my side belt without modifying my motor mount. So I will probably purchase a vehicle specific manifold.

Jake C6R 06-13-2011 10:29 AM

Good to know, thanks.