R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Which motor is this? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/520364-motor.html)

kyle133 06-05-2011 12:24 PM

Which motor is this?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys. I just got my first nitro touring car, an Xray NT1 and it came with a Picco JL tuned .12 (thats what it says on the head)

Ok now I know ive just named the motor, but I have also heard of a motor with a similar name that everyone has had troubles with the crank. My question is, is my motor this problem child motor from picco? do I have a bomb waiting to go off in my car? or is this motor a good starter motor?

please don't play chew the newb a new one :sneaky:

thanks guys

beebone 06-05-2011 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by kyle133 (Post 9212547)
Hi guys. I just got my first nitro touring car, an Xray NT1 and it came with a Picco JL tuned .12 (thats what it says on the head)

Ok now I know ive just named the motor, but I have also heard of a motor with a similar name that everyone has had troubles with the crank. My question is, is my motor this problem child motor from picco? do I have a bomb waiting to go off in my car? or is this motor a good starter motor?

thanks guys

As I remember its Ofna, it carries Picco engine with JL tune.

DJ_Shakespear 06-06-2011 01:05 AM

If Im correct thats the Evo 3 Tuned version.

Its not the crank that has the problem (although it is the reason of the following problem) but the Rods that are the common headache.

I believe they tried using a larger crankpin diameter and in this design, they had short lasting rods (they would blow the bushings at the crank after a few litres/a gallon of fuel, if that!)

Good motor, but the Evo 3 rods do not last as long as other engines.

kyle133 06-06-2011 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear (Post 9215113)
If Im correct thats the Evo 3 Tuned version.

Its not the crank that has the problem (although it is the reason of the following problem) but the Rods that are the common headache.

I believe they tried using a larger crankpin diameter and in this design, they had short lasting rods (they would blow the bushings at the crank after a few litres/a gallon of fuel, if that!)

Good motor, but the Evo 3 rods do not last as long as other engines.

Thank you! :sweat:

nitrodude 06-06-2011 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by kyle133 (Post 9212547)

thanks guys

Its a good motor, just make sure you change the rod after every gallon. It doesnt like a long break in, usualy just one tank at idle and 2 tanks on the track with a rich setting and you're good to go, when you replace the rod, run it for one tank at idle to break in the rod. One more thing, it likes a bottom end on the rich side, or at least compared to other motors you have to run the bottom richer.

DJ_Shakespear 06-06-2011 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by nitrodude (Post 9217293)
Its a good motor, just make sure you change the rod after every gallon. It doesnt like a long break in, usualy just one tank at idle and 2 tanks on the track with a rich setting and you're good to go, when you replace the rod, run it for one tank at idle to break in the rod. One more thing, it likes a bottom end on the rich side, or at least compared to other motors you have to run the bottom richer.

Thats true, they just like it a little richer on the bottom end.

When you break in the new rod, use the rich WOT method. Quick, easy, and after that it's done :D

kyle133 06-07-2011 05:11 PM

thanks guys! I took my motor apart today and can feel some slop in the bushing of the rod. I will order a new one :)