Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picco JLR Evo3 .12

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

Default Picco JLR Evo3 .12

Not hoping this will be a major thread, but I recently ran my modified JLR and I had a fairly decent tune on it - not too lean, but close to the sweet spot.
After a few runs I was getting a consistent 103 +/- 5 degrees Celsius, and on the last run I timed how long 1 tank would last me. After it cut out (having no fuel) I looked at the timer and I was completely stunned to find it lasted 9:20!!!! Nearly 10 minutes on a single tank!!!
I will say that it had originally been modified by AB Mods before, but this sleeve was originally original (O.o) and all I did was copy over the same timings (by measuring the distance from the top of the sleeve to the top of the port, one by one) and then copy that over to the unmodified sleeve. Somewhat unfortunately, I added a fair bit more timing to the boost port (directly opposite the exhaust) and upon initial testing, I thought it screwed it up. But I was wrong - it made it sooo much better!!! Heaps of power, no tuning hassles (based on the mod, just myself to blame for a hiccup) and it pulls HARD when it hits second, so much it literally scared me how far it moved!

It is also using the crank from the first JLR I got from Adam, so I was using that one, but I did notice on the first sleeve (modified by Adam) that with the top/lip of the ports, they were not straight/level - like they were wonky and instead of shutting at the same time, it would close in the middle leaving the edges open that tiny fraction (sorry Adam, just saying that's what I noticed on all of the ports, maybe that's why you got glasses/contacts? Just joking!!)

I know that the track will play a large factor in runtime, but I have never had this JLR, even when it was only modified by AB, pull anywhere CLOSE to the 9 minute mark! most I ever got, even being conservative, was around 7:30 mark. Maybe I do have the gift of nitro engine mods!!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:10 AM
Tech Addict

RTTT
Old 01-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear
Maybe I do have the gift of nitro engine mods!!
Starting with modding engines is most of the time trial and error. Ofcource messuring other engines is giving a lot of information but copying timings from one to another brand or even to a same kind of engine does not mean it will always run the same due tolerances and used materials.

Once I did go to far with an exhaust of an experimental because the sleeve mounted in another crankcase was placed a little bit higher but the engine did run fine. Later with the Flash tuned special my fault was confirmed that it can be even made higher.

Finally after a lot of experiments on old engines you will know what works.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

I always wondered how well a JLR .12 could run. They seem like a very good engine for the price. Has this engine won some serious classes before against the higher end Novarossi engines?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:43 AM
Tech Lord

The JLR .12 is just a Picco and yes, Picco in their own shape as in the Mega and IDM name has set many victories. Most important one was the Worlds touring 3 years ago with Ielasi
Old 03-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

DJ - do you know where the replacement rods for this motor are available at in the U.S.? My local source, Nitrohouse, don't seem to have them anymore.