Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
What should I do to my engine? >

What should I do to my engine?

What should I do to my engine?

Old 08-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Tech Addict

Default What should I do to my engine?

I won't be running for a while, so I won't be starting the engine for a long time. After every practice day i put like 5-15 drops of after run oil. Last time I ran the engine was 2 weeks ago. I don't plan to run it again for a couple of months. What can I do to the engine to make sure it will work great after a couple of months? I have an RB v12 non turbo.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

You can either strip it down and leave it in motor oil for the 2 months or run some afterrun oil through it and bung up the carb and exhaust port with tissue. make sure the piston is at BDC.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

is BDC bottom dead center? and if it is how would i know it is?

so I should put in some more after run oil and crank it and plug up the eaxust port and carb too?
Old 08-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

BDc is Bottom dead center. if you remove the plug and look in you will see when it is down and you should be able to feel the point when the piston is at the bottom.

Put the afterrun oil in through the glowplug hole and turn the crank over by hand a few times to get the oil down through the engine. Just remove the manifold, pipe and airfilter from the engine and bung up the holes with some tissue paper to keep the dirt and dust out.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:46 AM
Tech Addict

thanks
Old 09-14-2004, 04:08 PM
TWISTED

Hi all I am new to Nitro and have got a second hand motor. I stripped it down yesterday to check it out and the top of the Piston is all burnt and pitted. What can I do with this or do I have get another piston and Liner??
Thanks for the help

Old 09-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by TWISTED
Hi all I am new to Nitro and have got a second hand motor. I stripped it down yesterday to check it out and the top of the Piston is all burnt and pitted. What can I do with this or do I have get another piston and Liner??
Thanks for the help
Hey Grant this is Alan, we raced in open nitro at Wynnum couple of weeks ago.

My advice with the piston is to very carefully clean it with something like autosol making sure that you only clean the top surface of the piston. Do not touch the sides at all. Sometimes the burning and pitting is only due to excess oil sitting and burning on top of the piston. When you clean it it should be flat and shiny. Try that one first.

What type of motor is it?
Old 09-14-2004, 04:25 PM
TWISTED

Thanks Alan I will give it a try. It`s a Fantom motor. See you on Sunday