Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Need Help with Stuck Sleeve!!! >

Need Help with Stuck Sleeve!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Help with Stuck Sleeve!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

Exclamation Need Help with Stuck Sleeve!!!

ok, i tried pulling the sleeve out of my rs12s2, but its stuck, i heated it up with my heat gun,and i got it out half way, but no more, and since i didn't want to use any more force, i thought there was something wrong. It just won't budge now, up or down, the piston moves freely up and down, but the sleeve is stickin halway outta the engine! The engine has about 13 tanks on it. My dad suggested i wait until the engine cools down to room temp to move it back down, then heat it up again from that temp,and pull it all the way out, i also can't twist it either. please help! heres a pic to help you.
Attached Thumbnails Need Help with Stuck Sleeve!!!-76i-uu.jpg  
Old 07-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Tech Rookie

I had the same problem with my Picco last week. What I did was drop the piston down and then moved it over so that whenI turned the shaft, the piston hit the bottom edge of the sleeve and pushed it the rest of the way out. It's probably not the best thing to do to the piston, but it worked.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Need Help with Stuck Sleeve!!!

Originally posted by serpentsixty9
ok, i tried pulling the sleeve out of my rs12s2, but its stuck, i heated it up with my heat gun,and i got it out half way, but no more, and since i didn't want to use any more force, i thought there was something wrong. It just won't budge now, up or down, the piston moves freely up and down, but the sleeve is stickin halway outta the engine! The engine has about 13 tanks on it. My dad suggested i wait until the engine cools down to room temp to move it back down, then heat it up again from that temp,and pull it all the way out, i also can't twist it either. please help! heres a pic to help you.
Use a zip tie, a big one and slide the zip tie tip in the exhaust port and then push the piston up. the zip tie will stop the piston from going up that means it will push the whole sleeve upward. It works every time!
Old 07-16-2004, 01:14 AM
Tech Addict

Have the same problem with my new motor, Have to give this a try.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 05:28 AM
Tech Rookie

I tried the zip tie trick. The sleeve kept slicing it off.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:59 PM
Tech Master

You need a BIG zip tie, one like you'd use as a tank pull.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Tech Master

You can also use the handle of an old toothbrush to do the same thing as the ziptie
Old 07-19-2004, 03:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The zip tie usually works, if it shears off you can use anything that fits through the exhaust port that is soft.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Even zip ties can damage the edge of the really soft pistons we use nowdays. Since you got the sleeve that far out, find something you can set on the top edge of the engine case next to the sleeve to use as a fulcrum. Then get a wide blade screwdriver and lift it out from the bottom of the lip on the sleeve. I typically won't use the word "pry" but essentially that is what you will be doing. Just be smart about using the fulcrum and you will not damage anything.

The only time this hasn't worked for me was when I had sleeves that were cracked all the way around the transfer ports. Then you'll be lucky to get it out at all because the edges of the sleve dig into the inside of the case like fishing hook barbs.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by fraz
Even zip ties can damage the edge of the really soft pistons we use nowdays. Since you got the sleeve that far out, find something you can set on the top edge of the engine case next to the sleeve to use as a fulcrum. Then get a wide blade screwdriver and lift it out from the bottom of the lip on the sleeve. I typically won't use the word "pry" but essentially that is what you will be doing. Just be smart about using the fulcrum and you will not damage anything.

The only time this hasn't worked for me was when I had sleeves that were cracked all the way around the transfer ports. Then you'll be lucky to get it out at all because the edges of the sleve dig into the inside of the case like fishing hook barbs.
Use this trick in combination with heating the crankcase with a heatgun.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Preheat the oven to 270 degree and place your engine inside for 5 to 10 minutes. Take it out and you can easy to remove the sleeve. Pls don't put any salt ...