D21B Buggy Engine

Old 09-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Bought a D21B and D21T just finished run them in,started to lean out a bit and they have been waking up big time.
Have to say the T motor has phenominal punch compared to my rossi Black Magic.
Top end cant say for know will be running at the next club meeting and let you guys know.
For club racing the B has more than enough power and reasonable on fuel consumption.
Will be running my T motor in my new Casterracing ZX-1 at the Africa Cup next month,hold thumbs STS is going to kick some butt.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Looking for a sts.21 ? or parts?
www.racernine.com
Old 10-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

hi. i just bought a new sts d21b.

i am not new to engines ....i have had over 10 engines b4. and rebuilt many of them a few times over aswell...

i like to pull the engine apart and flush with fuel and measure original specs b4 i run it....

but for some reason there doesnt seem to be enough space to slide out the rod/piston...

the sleeve is out and the backplate... i have the crankpin at "10pm to 2pm" and trying to slide it out, but just wont come out...

any ideas?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sts italia

1 Lenzi Kyosho-Nova
2 Izzo Crono-OS
3 Concetti Mugen-AXE
4 Spinosa TunderTiger-OS
5 -
6 Di Monaco Mugen-RB
7 Andreini Crono - STS Italia
8 Ferroso Mugen - STS Italia
9 Vergadoro Hudy - STS Italia
10 Ribaldi Mugen-RB
11 Pellecchia Mugen-OS
12 Acciari Mugen-Picco
Old 11-06-2005, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Laterilus
Hey everyone,

I've really been considering getting this engine lately, but after reading through all 5 pages I can't seem to get definitive answers about how good/bad this engine is. 190$ is a bargain..... if the engine performs and is reliable.

So far, I see reports from folks that have just broken in the engine, or are in the process of breaking in their engine. That unfortunately doesn't help too much. To those people that have bought it, broken it in, and raced it, how about a new report? Here are some main points to consider:

Reliability. Is this engine finicky with settings? Does it die constantly if not set exactly to the correct settings?

longetivity. How many gallons are you getting through this engine before the p/s, conrod, crankshaft, or bearings are blowing out?

performance. Is this engine running alongside 300$+ engines? How is the torque? Does it get passed on straightaways that are 150+ feet?

Any answers would be helpful with my decision. Right now I'm kinda down on the 300$+ engines and wouldn't mind trying out a 200$ or less engine. I'm trying to decide between this engine, 3-port Collari, or maybe the Fantom '05 version.

ok i ran d21b in a full race meet. finish position 9/30. final ended when servo broke down.

performance.

i tried Jp2 pipe and RB 063pipe

i get run down by most of the other top engines p5, ws7's, vspec especially down the straight. bottom end ok, but nothing special. its actually an easy engine to drive. and be more consistant. you prob do slower "fastest lap times" though.

One thing it not great on is the fuel economy. it gets about 6.5minutes, 7mins and u will be dry.

Tuning

Pretty easy, but about 1/4 turn difference, is what it takes to make it from running rich to right... and another quater turn it will be lean

Reliability

nothing gone wrong so far, but compression not great after the race. may have to lower shim to 0.3mm
Old 11-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Doomah

One thing it not great on is the fuel economy. it gets about 6.5minutes, 7mins and u will be dry.
nothing gone wrong so far, but compression not great after the race. may have to lower shim to 0.3mm
Running a low nitro? compression effects the economy and if your running stock shims thats for 30% nitro (from memory)

I've not looked at the economy of my 21B yet as im still leaning it out. I do remember getting some 22+ mins on 75ml with a D5 engine (ok ok, so she was a "little" lean. Thats long enough to run the final with no fuel stops 8-0 With non-lean tune I could normally get just over 10mins out of it. I hope the 21B is just as good
Old 11-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Tech Regular

no not low nitro 25%. and 12% oil i mix myself.

my rb s7 could do 8.5mins till it dry

my novarossi cl 9 minutes till it dry

on same fuel.

and 22minutes on a 75mls? i feel sorry for your engine
Old 11-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Doomah
ok i ran d21b in a full race meet. finish position 9/30. final ended when servo broke down.

performance.

i tried Jp2 pipe and RB 063pipe

i get run down by most of the other top engines p5, ws7's, vspec especially down the straight. bottom end ok, but nothing special. its actually an easy engine to drive. and be more consistant. you prob do slower "fastest lap times" though.

Tuning

Pretty easy, but about 1/4 turn difference, is what it takes to make it from running rich to right... and another quater turn it will be lean

Reliability

what kind of temps were you running?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

we dont use temp gund around here, coz they vary so much,

but when i spit on head it sizzle away within a few sec's, dont worry it was at it was near its optimal performance.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

I was just curious I had a.21b motor in my xtm mammoth 12lb truck. We were getting about 8 min out of a 125cc tank. temps around 260 right after the race. I know to some 260 seems high but the motor likes to run a little hotter than others has been my experience.never had a flame out
You may want to try a tad leaner and see if you pick up a little performance as well as a longer run time.
Not trying to tell you how to tune but just making a suggestion.

Last edited by ryan6682; 11-10-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ryan6682
I was just curious I had a.21b motor in my xtm mammoth 12lb truck. We were getting about 8 min out of a 125cc tank. temps around 260 right after the race. I know to some 260 seems high but the motor likes to run a little hotter than others has been my experience.never had a flame out
You may want to try a tad leaner and see if you pick up a little performance as well as a longer run time.
Not trying to tell you how to tune but just making a suggestion.

hi ok. thanks for your comments regarding run time.

thing is when i tuned it leaner, it got very boggy down low, once it reached operating temp, and it was already on the rich side on the LSN.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

anyone run the D.21 T motor already?
what is the power like..
Old 07-18-2006, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The D21T has a lightweight and dished piston head. Venturi flowed (epoxy filled crank). Hand finished ports.

From what ive heard these motors have great rpm and power.

The D21B is the next step below that motor , very capable. Replacement piston and sleeve sets are also cheap.

The D21E - E stands for economy. Also potent.

You guys can pick these motors up from:
http://www.pro-hobby.net
And there ebay store.
http://stores.ebay.com/PRO-HOBBY

They will ship internationally , mention this site. They have some of the best prices and service for STS and real knowledgable about tuning and tweaking these motors. They also offer modified versions. A.I Edition motors. Those motors will shock you with their power.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Dino,

Can you talk a little about the power and power-delivery of the STS .21B v/s the STS .21T engine ?

Im racing offroad and started racing Buggy 1/8th a couple months ago and on my debut made the 3rd place of the Mexican Nationals 2nd Stage in Buggy Class (won the B, made 3rd on A) and im VERY VERY happy with the STS .21T engine im racing ... and i remember that back on 2003, 2004 and until mid 2005 i was racing STS .12 engines on my sedans and you were a lot of help to me via this rctech.net forums ...

Well, cya ! and thanks again ... im sold to STS ...
Old 07-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Dino,

Can you talk a little about the power and power-delivery of the STS .21B v/s the STS .21T engine ?

Im racing offroad and started racing Buggy 1/8th a couple months ago and on my debut made the 3rd place of the Mexican Nationals 2nd Stage in Buggy Class (won the B, made 3rd on A) and im VERY VERY happy with the STS .21T engine im racing ... and i remember that back on 2003, 2004 and until mid 2005 i was racing STS .12 engines on my sedans and you were a lot of help to me via this rctech.net forums ...

Well, cya ! and thanks again ... im sold to STS ...
im not dino...thats for sure. but i can comment on the diff of 21B, 21T & 21E.
recent race, my friends using both the 21B & 21T. use on same pipe. the 21T is so much power...so much that it nearly backflip the buggy X1CR and over rev compares to 21B. im talking about same driver with same setup, only change engine from 21B to 21T. its pretty hard to drive if not used to the power. on the straight its just awesome and fly high. interestingly, that same race event won by X1CR Mr. Ah M from S'pore using the STS 21T. He's the pro.
ok thats the difference i saw. for the 21E. its the best fuel efficiency engine. i think it top my friend 10 minutes and it was a no slow buggy. X1CR again. for the low price of the 21E, i would just buy it for a starter. especially if the track is small with technical layout.
thats all. all these from observation.