R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Old Novarossi .12 tuning help (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/445088-old-novarossi-12-tuning-help.html)

FoxRob 10-19-2010 04:58 PM

Old Novarossi .12 tuning help

Ok my NRS4 has been parked on a shelf for awhile but I recently decided to get it up and running again. So I had fixed my starter box(needed new motors). It started and ran good for @ 10 minutes then it started to sound like it was running lean(low fuel level) by the time I got it back to me it stalled out. I checked the fuel level and there was @ a half tank or so, it the time I was trying to get it running again I had messed around with the needle settings and it would not start changed glow plugs and nothing only runs with the idle up switched to high idle or while blippng the throttle then it would run long enough to put it back down then stall again once throttle was opened. I figured out my fuel tank seals have gone bad so I wasn't getting fuel to the engine.

I have 2 questions the first is does anyone know what needle is for what on a Novarossi carb here they are
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5829377_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2262537_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3328277_n.jpg

The second question is does anyone have the part number for a Serpent Impulse fuel tank or know where I can find one?

Geezatec 10-19-2010 05:50 PM

Part# for tank is SER8135. good luck trying to find. Its the same as the Serpent Impact M2. Take to LHS and try to match it to a 75cctank.

Looking at the HSN & MRN. You got it running rich by HSN. MRN is far in. I'd like to see photo of your LSN. your throttle air gap is probably 1.5+. Know wonder it lean out after 10minutes or idle up. Giving it throttle it would stall out, too lean. Post another photo of your throttle air gap. Its natural at half a tank it would start running lean

afm 10-19-2010 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by FoxRob (Post 8095239)
........ does anyone know what needle is for what on a Novarossi carb here they are?

For that carb
(Base Carburetor Settings)
Low Speed: 3.25 turns out
High Speed: 4.50 turns out
Mid-Range: Flush with the carb body

AFM

FoxRob 10-19-2010 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Geezatec (Post 8095508)
Part# for tank is SER8135. good luck trying to find. Its the same as the Serpent Impact M2. Take to LHS and try to match it to a 75cctank.

Looking at the HSN & MRN. You got it running rich by HSN. MRN is far in. I'd like to see photo of your LSN. your throttle air gap is probably 1.5+. Know wonder it lean out after 10minutes or idle up. Giving it throttle it would stall out, too lean. Post another photo of your throttle air gap. Its natural at half a tank it would start running lean

Thanks for the reply, but which needle is which I forgot it has been @9-10 years since I last worked on it till the last week or so.

Where is the LSN?

Geezatec 10-19-2010 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by FoxRob (Post 8096041)
Thanks for the reply, but which needle is which I forgot it has been @9-10 years since I last worked on it till the last week or so.

Where is the LSN?

LSN located the opposite side of Mid Range Needle(MRN) on the slide. Default are what afm listed. But HSN too high.3.5 turns reasonable. LSN Flush with the Housing out. Mid Range approx one turn out from flush.

My Serpent Impulse been sitting one year after released. Mega.12 was rebiult at the time it was retired, put on the shelve.

FoxRob 10-20-2010 03:56 AM

The LSN is in the slide? If so it probably has never been touched as it is very hard to get to in my car.

I wanted an Impulse but kept my HPI longer then I really wanted too. If I can find a place to race NTC in my area I might buy a new car more then likely it will be a NTC3 or a Xray NT1R.

Thanks again I just wanna get this one up and running again for now.

Geezatec 10-20-2010 05:00 PM

LSN inthe Slide. The MRN is shown on photo. Is mostly for a more experience person to adjust. If you set up as one turn out from flush, your slide will be closed to 1mm or less for air gap. Probably idle speed will be lower. With patience and time you can make it idle like a Harley. Try and post a photo of your air gap. I have problem with posting Photos. may ask for your email addy, if you dont mind, I'll leave mine on your PM's on RCTech.

FoxRob 10-21-2010 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Geezatec (Post 8100271)
LSN inthe Slide. The MRN is shown on photo. Is mostly for a more experience person to adjust. If you set up as one turn out from flush, your slide will be closed to 1mm or less for air gap. Probably idle speed will be lower. With patience and time you can make it idle like a Harley. Try and post a photo of your air gap. I have problem with posting Photos. may ask for your email addy, if you dont mind, I'll leave mine on your PM's on RCTech.

Sent you an email yesterday. Ok the LSN has never been touched as the tracks I have raced this car on most have been fairly large and really only tuned with HSN, may have moved the MRN a time or too.

I got a new seal for my tank, a Traxxas fuel tank rebuild kit had the right seal for it.

Now if I have it running and I remove the glow igniter it stalls as soon as it is twisted off. I'm thinking bad glow plug?

Thanks for all you help and advise so far.

Geezatec 10-21-2010 11:58 PM

Didn't recieve the email. Try again. Yes try a new GP, or battery low in igniter..
Check charge or it.

FoxRob 10-22-2010 04:56 PM

Changed glow plug runs like a champ until it hits second gear then blows the front drive belt off, now I remember why I stopped racing it. I need to see if I have a new set of pulleys for it, they are original and the car as a whole has had about 30-40 gallons of fuel ran through it most all of it on race tracks, so I guess they are due for replacement. Before this engine it had a few OS .12's.

Geezatec 10-22-2010 05:45 PM

Thought the RS4 are shaft drives, maybe 4 years ago. Go to your LHS, and if they still have a belt tensioner for HPI electrics. Maybe a SIMILAR belt tensioner from another model.

Brah!! How many time did you rebiuld the engine. 30-40 gallons is is alot without rebiulding. lol!! I'd rather run Novarossi than OS. I run Mega and RB's on all my models. What fuel you're useing?

FoxRob 10-22-2010 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Geezatec (Post 8109682)
Thought the RS4 are shaft drives, maybe 4 years ago. Go to your LHS, and if they still have a belt tensioner for HPI electrics. Maybe a SIMILAR belt tensioner from another model.

Brah!! How many time did you rebiuld the engine. 30-40 gallons is is alot without rebiulding. lol!! I'd rather run Novarossi than OS. I run Mega and RB's on all my models. What fuel you're useing?

Original NRS4 Racer I bought it in 1998, three belts. While I was racing nitro TC my car has had 3 different OS engines each rebuilt 2-3 times, when Novarossi came out with the engine that is in the car now I jumped on it with their claim of 1hp out of a .12, then it was ported and polished and had a few other tweaks done to it. My car has all Wolf Pack radicals chassis parts and belt tensioners on it. As for fuel that I have used with it mostly O'Donnell 20% or Trinity 30% depending on track and availability, in a pinch Blue Thunder 20%(right now the only fuel my LHS has).

The pulleys themselves are the original ones for my car, I have replaced the belts a few times since installing the Novarossi engine, but that front belt right now will not stay on the car during a full throttle upshift into second, it has been a problem almost since I get the Novarossi engine in it. I was drifting it in the shop at my job today(I'm a dealership service tech) it was doing better then my TC3 or MR4TC electric cars.

FoxRob 10-22-2010 11:19 PM

I just found this on the HPI web site, hopefully someone else will benefit from it

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/in...1300-2_pg1.jpg

Geezatec 10-23-2010 09:15 AM

My engine are Max,RB, & Novarossi. Been a Serpent guy since '85. Fuel in use Byrons or O'donnel @ 20,25 ,& 30%, depending where I run. I'm from LA Ca, originally. Raced at all 3 permanent track out there. Unfortunately they closed down. I raced ROAR /IMFRA for years. Traveled to Bangkok, Floriida, New Hampshire, and Dallas. for ROAR. Last ran 2004 National Sedan Championships @ Crystal Park in Compton,Ca. Debut of the Serpent 733 w/RB engine. 6 out of 10 were running RB's in the 'A' Main'sFinals

Used to work in a independant Porsche, Audi, MB, & VW shop for 8 years, back in '76-'83. All carbs at the time, just b4 EFI came out. So you know what I'm saying. Differance in pressure with Carburetion. Highest point of vacuum is the air gap of throttle. Smaller the air gap higher the vacuum. You want the MRN or Jet(pintal) at the air gap. Break-in you can get it to idle 1-1 1/2 Hours!! That length of time. Useing a small
7" electric fan in front of your bumper. Most Air Gap on all engines are 1mm. You can use .50mm at that. 10ft or 10meters you won't tell if the engine is running. Checking on temp with fan, dont be alarm that it'll run at 97F. It'll run!! Blipping the throttle it'll raise out to 210-220F. Still you may have to lean it out, depending on smoke it emitts.

If your mid pulley may be changed, may just a tooth could be enough Rear belt may be too loose!! Give and take!! I guess!!. Even one tooth with the front pulley will help. all 4X4's front diff has little bit larger ratio cuz front diff does all the work. Novarossi tell you what engine compared to the other ones you used!! lol!!!

Your lucky alot of LHS carry alot pf HPI Parts. Serpent Guys have to go where LHS supports the car or online!! lol!! Just like Caddy to Chevolet, Porsche to VW's. lol!!!!

FoxRob 10-23-2010 09:59 AM

I miss my Serpents, been to the fuel nationals back in 1999 or 2000. When it was held in New Hampshire. My RS4 was my only HPI but I still had my Impact and Vector with me. Engines have been Picco's. If I was still racing competitively I would probably still have my Serpents and would have sold my HPI awhile ago but life got in the way. If I were still in NY I'm sure the hobby shops I used to deal with would have them and parts for them in stock since they all raced them.