R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   .12 engine for $100 to $200? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/444894-12-engine-%24100-%24200.html)

Geiger 10-18-2010 10:37 PM

.12 engine for $100 to $200?

Is there any decent .12 engine I can buy from $100 to $200? I'm in a tight budget, i do race on a short and long tracks?:tire:

Roelof 10-18-2010 11:38 PM

Last weekend I helped someone testing a Novarossi N12T1 and I must say it is a big bang for that price but it is not competive with the high end engines although it differs not that much.

kai888 10-18-2010 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 8091954)
Last weekend I helped someone testing a Novarossi N12T1 and I must say it is a big bang for that price but it is not competive with the high end engines although it differs not that much.

i have one of those, its great for a beginner motor as it holds a tune however one of the better guys at the track was trying to tune it for me and said it just lacked the punch of the more expensive ones, and i'm about 5km/h slower than the faster guys down our main straight according to mylaps printouts

but its only 135 dollars plus 6 dollars for shipping off ebay.

td-civ 10-19-2010 12:48 AM

RB TOURING JUNIOR 10 great motor run's really well and holds its own on short track on long track not so well

DJ_Shakespear 10-19-2010 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by td-civ (Post 8092073)
RB TOURING JUNIOR 10 great motor run's really well and holds its own on short track on long track not so well

+1 for that.
If you're looking for a good engine, you're going to have to spend the extra cash for something good. If it was only on a short track where 2nd gearing isnt getting close to topping out, then the N12 would still be good.
But since you also race on a track that is larger, then you definitely should get a good engine. You can't beat the price of the RB T10 package - plenty of power and cheap-ish as well.

blis 11-11-2010 01:33 PM

You staying to race in TC or just passing by the class?

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear (Post 8092126)
+1 for that.
If you're looking for a good engine, you're going to have to spend the extra cash for something good. If it was only on a short track where 2nd gearing isnt getting close to topping out, then the N12 would still be good.
But since you also race on a track that is larger, then you definitely should get a good engine. You can't beat the price of the RB T10 package - plenty of power and cheap-ish as well.

Wouldnt buy second hand and when buying new, only consider Italian or Japanese metallurgy. The art and skill of combining several metal types under heat and expansion is where it's all at, then it's precision engineering.

Ultimately with budget engines, they should last long enough for you to save up for the Race "DONK" and take good care of it, GRP bundles are great value, but if you're going to lean them up to chase the Novas and RB's then you'll wear thru it really quickly and you'll be up for more $$.

OS perhaps?? Not too lean, not too rich!! Care for it and it'll run for ages.

Then buy the best RB or NR you can get your hands on!

wingracer 11-11-2010 03:54 PM

Picco JLR .12's. Lots of go for very little dough.

DJ_Shakespear 11-12-2010 12:54 AM

I wouldnt get the JLR .12, they just won't last. I had 2 JLRs, both blew rods very early and the P/S never lasted more than 6 months. 2 engines, can't be a coincidence, though the rod metal was very poor. I would either get an RB Junior, Nova N12, or a GRP bundle if you don't race with the pros. Think of this:
Cheap engine = not cheap in the long run + not that powerful.
Good engine = 300-400 at least + pipeset.
Kick-ass engine = good driving and setup! :D + knowledge of tuning and chassis adjustments.

You can come first with an RTR engine as long as your car is setup correctly and you are consistant.
If you spend too much money on engines and still don't win, you will always be last.

spenzalii 12-10-2010 02:55 PM

*sigh* I miss my Ninja. Tuned right, that motor had wings that would shock you. Initial pinch was hard on rods, to be sure. If you can spring for a combo pack and have some patience, you'll be all right

RC MARKET 12-12-2010 01:57 PM

http://rcmarket.com.hk/advanced_sear...tsmk6ed0o87fr7

N12T1 $120 only ! Free Shipping !!