R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 07-02-2004, 03:43 PM   #1
Default Mega Engines

has anyone seen these new engines?that sucks because all my cars run NOVAMEGA engines.....damn!
SERPENTFREAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:56 PM   #2
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I seen a new Carlson NovaMega engine yesterday. I think it was based on the NS3. Anybody know where I can get some infomation about this engine....Thanks
no4hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:13 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Looks like you started the new Mega engines thread. Sounds like these engines won't be available till october 2004. Just in time for winter. They are picco made motors, for now If you want, just buy a picco motor. Serpent and MS will probably make some changes to their design but we don't know yet. Aparently Serpent is trying hard to make racing more affordable for everyone, thanks to lower cost motors. Its not everyday you get a manufacturer who out their cares about cost control for racers.

Detroit Radio Control Car Club
tomkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:37 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Check this: http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=10372

It's a report from Michael Salven who has been racing in Germany with the new Mega engines.
It looks good, but I'm still wondering if they can ever beat the Nova Rossi based engines. Especially with the Euro's coming.
840918001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:45 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Hi tomkelley,

I find their grounds for building a new line of engines very nice.
But, when you're on the track you don't care about the costs anymore. Then you just want to win.
In my opinion the price of the NovaMega engines was not that high, compared to the JP or R&B or Max or IDM or so on.

I just hope that they can build a competition level engine for a reasonable price.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:51 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Serpent is going with Picco for the simple reason that they are trying to reduce the price of the kits and make 1/8 more attractive. The price savings will not be much if you want to be competitive. If you think that what Salven is running is what you are going to buy......I don't think so.

No bone stock engine can keep up with a modified engine with everything else being equal. Besides how much does a COMPETITIVE season of racing cost? Is $100 going to make a difference? Not if you are racing to win.

Great on Serpents part to make the hobby more affordable to the masses though.....

jrabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:18 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Michael Salven said this in his report:

As most of you already know, we will switch to another engine manufacturer. The reasons for that are already discussed a lot and Pieter dedicated quite a lot of columns and forums to that.
But wouldn’t it be great to have a similar or better engine for a lot less money? But how do the new engines perform on the track?
After a month or two of intense work of the two Picco brothers with some feed back from our side, I was able to use the first prototypes of the new engines at the first races, the first one at the LRP masters in Luxembourg.

Well, their goal is first of all to reduce costs which is nice, but they also want to be on top of the rankings.
I like the idea as well as a lot of you, but in my opinion those two things are hard to combine.
For now we just have to wait and see.
I hope they can do it!