Wiki Posts
Search

OS .21vg in Jato

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default OS .21vg in Jato

I got a sweet deal on ebay for a brand new o.s. .21vg motor for ... bucks shipped. was going to use it as a back up motor in my buggy and honestly never really planned on doing more than breaking it in. Since I have it I would like to build maybe a nice jato does anyone know if it will fit wit a conversion or anything? cant really find too much info on the search.

Im not looking to run the car a lot or even race since i am a die hard buggy racer but it may be something cool just to say I have a jato with a big motor. anyone do this conversion?

i can get a brand new jato roller on ebay for under 150 shipped and have all the electronics i would need and a jato body. really would only need to buy tires and whatever mounts i would need to fit the motor. i already have a spare starter box.

like i said, not really looking to use the car too much but would be cool to have and brag about

Last edited by anthonys88; 11-14-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anthonys88
I got a sweet deal on ebay for a brand new o.s. .21vg motor for 70 bucks shipped. was going to use it as a back up motor in my buggy and honestly never really planned on doing more than breaking it in. Since I have it I would like to build maybe a nice jato does anyone know if it will fit wit a conversion or anything? cant really find too much info on the search.

Im not looking to run the car a lot or even race since i am a die hard buggy racer but it may be something cool just to say I have a jato with a big motor. anyone do this conversion?

i can get a brand new jato roller on ebay for under 150 shipped and have all the electronics i would need and a jato body. really would only need to buy tires and whatever mounts i would need to fit the motor. i already have a spare starter box.

like i said, not really looking to use the car too much but would be cool to have and brag about
I wouldn't bother with a jato at all. I seen one on a track one day and the guy who owned it had all sorts of trouble with it. Its not meant for a track, its really meant for a parking lot. The stock 3.3 will get it going 70mph, and is less than 1hp, so a .21 engine would probably kill someone. You could buy a revo and install it on that with a conversion. Personally i'd just break it in and keep it as a backup for your buggy, maybe get it setup ready to drop in if your original motor ever has trouble. I like having an extra motor on hand just in case.

Also i don't think the jato is setup for a starter box, even the revo plantium requires a special starter box to get it going. Personally i'd stay away from traxxas altogether.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jwm2
I wouldn't bother with a jato at all. I seen one on a track one day and the guy who owned it had all sorts of trouble with it. Its not meant for a track, its really meant for a parking lot. The stock 3.3 will get it going 70mph, and is less than 1hp, so a .21 engine would probably kill someone. You could buy a revo and install it on that with a conversion. Personally i'd just break it in and keep it as a backup for your buggy, maybe get it setup ready to drop in if your original motor ever has trouble. I like having an extra motor on hand just in case.

Also i don't think the jato is setup for a starter box, even the revo plantium requires a special starter box to get it going. Personally i'd stay away from traxxas altogether.

well it would just be for on road straight line use (maybe i posted in the wrong section) i have an almost new v-spec as a back up for my modded v-spec but this was too good of a deal for me to pass. maybe i'll buy a revo roller and use it as a straight line truck, i would never use a traxxas for offroad, maybe i should have said that in my original post. im kind of just looking for a neat project to keep me busy. i had a jato about 3 years ago and liked using it in my neighborhood from time to time.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Well I have a fully modded O.S. .21 TM in a Jato and I have some MED slicks on it and it spools so fast with so much power It can just spin the rears doesnt even try to wheelie on tall gearing.. If stiffen the rear springs a bit and drop CB gear it will do wheelies into second gear then eventually tumbles away. Fun, but the 3.3 does a good job. But to answer your question

here you go mount
http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...r&part_id=3321

and a how to

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=526763
Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

I have a newer spare v-spec hmm. Lol
Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You could always send your spare motor to me. I'll gladly pay shipping and say thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

You could always send your spare motor to me. I'll gladly pay shipping and say thanks
+1
Old 09-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

+2
Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

that would be real nice wouldnt it