Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
ceramic bearing? for maxpower xxl3 tuned >

ceramic bearing? for maxpower xxl3 tuned

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ceramic bearing? for maxpower xxl3 tuned

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default ceramic bearing? for maxpower xxl3 tuned

im going to replace the rear bearing(11.5x21x5) and rod on my max power xxl3 (ceramic balanced MX-T.12 ),should use the nova steel or nova ceramic?
what are your thoughts?
i always used tko ceramics in my nova engines but this one is my baby and dont ever plan to part with it
Old 09-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Any quality bearing company that offers that size should offer a suitable part. I like Abec35 bearings after looking at various options. Something like this. it's Abec5 Ceramic pre-oiled. The only problem with Ceramics IMO is they require more maintenance because of the tolerances. Steel can stand a little more abuse. Abec35 offers both.

Ceramic Bearing

Steel Bearing
Old 09-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by helivaguy
im going to replace the rear bearing(11.5x21x5) and rod on my max power xxl3 (ceramic balanced MX-T.12 ),should use the nova steel or nova ceramic?
what are your thoughts?
i always used tko ceramics in my nova engines but this one is my baby and dont ever plan to part with it
Between novarossi steel and ceramic:
if i were you i would go with the steel novarossi bearing. For the price of a ceramic bearing, you can buy 2 steel bearings and run the motor for almost twice the hours than with a ceramic. I say "almost" because i believe that the ceramic bearing may hold a little more than the steel due to reduced friction. But still 2 steel bearings should give you more running hours. Also, for me the performance gain doesnt deserve the extra $$ for the ceramic.

thats my opinion,

btw, i just installed a ceramic tko bearing in my backup zx12. I dont yet know how this bearing holds, but heard good stuff about them and seem to be in a very good price. Have you ever got bad luck with them?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dredd
Any quality bearing company that offers that size should offer a suitable part. I like Abec35 bearings after looking at various options. Something like this. it's Abec5 Ceramic pre-oiled. The only problem with Ceramics IMO is they require more maintenance because of the tolerances. Steel can stand a little more abuse. Abec35 offers both.

Ceramic Bearing

Steel Bearing
i keep hearing good stuff about these abec35 bearings. i want them for my drivetrain! Good price and seems good quality also. But when it comes to engine bearings, things are totaly different. People are hard to change from engine's manufacturer bearings. I understand that because its kinda risk, a bad quality bearing can damage a high $$ engine.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gfilos
i keep hearing good stuff about these abec35 bearings. i want them for my drivetrain! Good price and seems good quality also. But when it comes to engine bearings, things are totaly different. People are hard to change from engine's manufacturer bearings. I understand that because its kinda risk, a bad quality bearing can damage a high $$ engine.
Dunno, a company that manufacturers precision parts should have the same tolerances. They mention they are made to take the heat buildup.

I haven't tried them myself.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gfilos
Between novarossi steel and ceramic:
btw, i just installed a ceramic tko bearing in my backup zx12. I dont yet know how this bearing holds, but heard good stuff about them and seem to be in a very good price. Have you ever got bad luck with them?
i went with the factory novarossi ceramic,after all its a "ceramic balanced tuned"max power engine and should deserve nothing less

yes i have had no problems with tko rear ceramics in my older nova and picco engines.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

i went with the factory novarossi ceramic,after all its a "ceramic balanced tuned"max power engine and should deserve nothing less

yes i have had no problems with tko rear ceramics in my older nova and picco engines.
Cool...if there's any wear issues or things of that nature be sure to let us know.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:15 AM
Tech Adept

after all these lines of writing you went with a ceramic?